Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Will Cuylle to ELC

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
love this pick, hope he can be a Wilson type, if not, i'd gladly take a Crouse, Maroon/Wood type

He's not as crazy, aggressive and reckless as Wilson. He's typically been more measured.

Personally, he reminds me quite a bit of Simmonds at the same age. I think that might be a bit closer to the high-end of what he could become if the pieces fall together.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's hard to come up with a comp because it depends on a number of variables. Yes, he's big and mean but lots of guys who are big and mean don't make it.

I don't think he'll be as impactful as Wilson because Wilson can fly. Yeah, he's big and a nut, but people seriously overlook Wilson's speed as far as how much it contributes to his success.

I do hope he's better than Anderson. Anderson is one of those guys who fights sometimes and can also score a bit, so you do see it, but over 82 games, he's underwhelming most of the time.

And of the other three you mentioned, Maroon is good, Wood is ok I guess, and Crouse is hot garbage.

There's a lot of variety in terms of quality within the big and mean archetype.

He's an exciting prospect. That we can say.

Anderson is also a fair comparison, and what you're touching on is going to be key for Cuylle.

He was a very high pick in the OHL and was expected to be a scorer with a physical side. I think he learned last season that he needed to flip those elements and focus on becoming a physical player who can contribute offensively. He started making those adjustments last year and appeared to carry it over to the AHL as well. So continuing that trend will be very important, ideally so he has more of that consistent impact you talked about with Anderson.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
that does seem to be true,
OHL or NHL for Cuylle in '21-22

below was from earlier today, in the Pack thread, before he had signed

Correct. Cuylle is eligible for the OHL or NHL next season. Of course he can sign an ATO once the OHL season ends next year.

His contract is slide eligible for one year so that's a bonus.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I just hope he is not another Dane Byers. sadly I had hope for Byers even as a 4th liner and could not even be that.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I wish people would stop trying to project our guys to be Tom Wilson, or like Tom Wilson, or whatever. Like, Lemieux was being compared to Tom Wilson. Cuylle? They're really not that similar. I think Tom Wilson is scum, but you gotta recognize that the guy is quite unique in terms if his build, his skating, and his overall skill. Just being big and tough and able to skate does not mean a guy is or will be similar to Wilson. Wilson is a really rare player.

Cuylle has an edge and plays with physicality but Tom Wilson is a guy who goes out there looking to hurt people (within the rules or not).
to be fair, he said he models his game after Tom Wilson.

and I don't know if they're a good source but the 2021 Hockey News Future Watch issue ranks Cuylle #7 on the Rangers top 10 list and writes, “High-quality shot and rugged. Upside? Think younger Tom Wilson.”

I don't expect him to be a fugazi tough guy. His jam would be greatly appreciated though

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
to be fair, he said he models his game after Tom Wilson.

and I don't know if they're a good source but the 2021 Hockey News Future Watch issue ranks Cuylle #7 on the Rangers top 10 list and writes, “High-quality shot and rugged. Upside? Think younger Tom Wilson.”

I don't expect him to be a fugazi tough guy. His jam would be greatly appreciated though
Yeah I mean I get it. Brett Berard models his game after Brad Marchand but the likelihood of him becoming Brad Marchand is bordering on zero. I think the pundits make those comparisons a) because they're lazy and b) they're intentionally choosing players people know. Cuylle doesn't really play like Tom Wilson and it's hard to see him developing into Tom Wilson. Wilson is unique not just in skills but in his demeanor and approach to the game.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I've mentioned it before. I saw that Cuylle takes part in reactive countering training ( where a lot of high skill guys do ). It doesn't mean he'll be McDavid but his hands will not be made of stone.

Reactions: nyr2k2

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I mean I get it. Brett Berard models his game after Brad Marchand but the likelihood of him becoming Brad Marchand is bordering on zero. I think the pundits make those comparisons a) because they're lazy and b) they're intentionally choosing players people know. Cuylle doesn't really play like Tom Wilson and it's hard to see him developing into Tom Wilson. Wilson is unique not just in skills but in his demeanor and approach to the game.
Cuyelle is not Wilson. He frankly does not have Wilson's mentality. He is much, much more controlled. That said, his game is exactly what the Rangers need and has the potential to develop more offensively.

I have visions of a third line of him, Berard and a Barron.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

those comparisons can be very misleading because they are often intended to compare style of play not upside potential. but that is hard to separate and they pick the high end guy for that reason...

you could easily compare berard to a guy who compared to marchand in their draft year but peaked as a 3rd liner and the style of play is similar but the perception of that comparison is vastly different.

Reactions: nyr2k2

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
was curious about Cuylle and AHL re the reported exception
tracked down this re OHL players who might be able to join AHL based on AHL games played last season

IF the threshold is actually set at 20, Cuylle will have fallen short, played 18 for 'Pack
too young, too few OHL seasons, to qualify for AHL by conventional rules ...

Reactions: egelband

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
was curious about Cuylle and AHL re the reported exception
tracked down this re OHL players who might be able to join AHL based on AHL games played last season

IF the threshold is actually set at 20, Cuylle will have fallen short, played 18 for 'Pack
too young, too few OHL seasons, to qualify for AHL by conventional rules ...

While it sucks for Cuylle, I think he's better off in the OHL for another year.

Here's a list of players who did meet that requirement and are eligible for the AHL this upcoming season (Did not filter the EU or USHL players):

upload_2021-8-24_20-59-43.png

* Nobody on the Rangers met the requirement

Reactions: cwede and egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Anybody big and halfway skilled is "Wilson" now. The fact is, there's been one Wilson ever. Nobody else is or has ever been that big, that fast, and that psychotic.

Cuylle is big and skilled in his own right and doesn't need to be Wilson.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Anybody big and halfway skilled is "Wilson" now. The fact is, there's been one Wilson ever. Nobody else is or has ever been that big, that fast, and that psychotic.

Cuylle is big and skilled in his own right and doesn't need to be Wilson.
Yep. And I’m very happy with not having a sociopath (let alone a psychopath) on the roster. Call me old fashioned but I wouldn’t trade a hockey puck for that guy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yep. And I’m very happy with not having a sociopath (let alone a psychopath) on the roster. Call me old fashioned but I wouldn’t trade a hockey puck for that guy.
Absolutely.

I don't mind having a guy who handles his business. I also don't mind having a guy who plays a physical game and sometimes steps over the line. It's hockey and shit happens -- I get that.

Wilson seeks out opportunities to injure opponents. I would be ashamed of that.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He's not as crazy, aggressive and reckless as Wilson. He's typically been more measured.

Personally, he reminds me quite a bit of Simmonds at the same age. I think that might be a bit closer to the high-end of what he could become if the pieces fall together.
I like the Simmonds comp. don’t know if Cuylle has as good as hands, but style wise def. I don’t see Josh Anderson. Anderson can flat out fly. He’s a really good skater. Cuylle isn’t at this point. Def not a tom Wilson either. Hopefully he can develop into our version of Simmons/ McCarty
Guy that’s useful in the bottom 6, has size and can give you 15 And 15.
We desperately need guys like him, Berard, Vierling, Edstrom, Barron etc to make it. We’re going to need that cheap young influx of size grit and talent mixed in to go with our skill guys so we can gradually add them in when needed and don’t have to pay a premium for them like we had to do with Goodrow

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Absolutely.

I don't mind having a guy who handles his business. I also don't mind having a guy who plays a physical game and sometimes steps over the line. It's hockey and shit happens -- I get that.

Wilson seeks out opportunities to injure opponents. I would be ashamed of that.
Ashamed is the perfect word.
That said, had Wilson come up with the Rangers and sort of ‘developed’ into this guy, I could imagine defending him, to an extent. But proactively acquiring this guy at this time would absolutely be shameful.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Are the Rangers retiring Tom Wilson's number this season? The way we are talking about him, he's like William Wallace in Braveheart. The Rangers will be mediocre this season because of all this Tom Wilson talk. A team can not game plan for one guy on one team. A hot take - sure, but when I read multiple posts about how fast, tough and psychotic he is and how he is a unique player, it really gets me going. He wouldn't have an NHL job 20-25 years ago, never mind 30 to 50 years ago.

Reactions: deathb4disco

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sadly, Bob Probert.
I don't think Probert moved like Wilson. He's is FAST. Not fast for his size. Fast, period. I think that's the thing that makes him most effective when he's not trying to murder somebody.

Probert was more skilled. He also actually fought guys and was actually great at it. Any legit great fighter (few and far between these days) would beat the skin off of Wilson's bones. He low-key sucks at it.

So I think they're pretty different.
Are the Rangers retiring Tom Wilson's number this season? The way we are talking about him, he's like William Wallace in Braveheart. The Rangers will be mediocre this season because of all this Tom Wilson talk. A team can not game plan for one guy on one team. A hot take - sure, but when I read multiple posts about how fast, tough and psychotic he is and how he is a unique player, it really gets me going. He wouldn't have an NHL job 20-25 years ago, never mind 30 to 50 years ago.
What????

He would be even more coveted the further back you go. More of his bullshit would be allowed the further back you go.

Although, he would have to learn how to fight at some point.

Reactions: chosen

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Problem is that Tom Wilson has gotten away with so much that nobody else could have pulled off. Raffi Torres got 41 games for this hit:

How many hits as bad or worse than that does Wilson have? The league gave way to the pressure from Washington and let Wilson of the hook early on a few times, and that ended up in them being invested in him. If they throw the book at him now, everyone will go ''what the heck have we said from day 1, why haven't you done anything until now?"

Reactions: egelband and tlk

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017

What????

He would be even more coveted the further back you go. More of his bullshit would be allowed the further back you go.

Although, he would have to learn how to fight at some point.[/QUOTE]

Exactly - he would never make it out of Juniors with enough brain cells to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad