Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Will Cuylle to ELC

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Was he on a AHL only deal?
an exceptional situation, due to Covid, allowed Junior players to join minor league pro teams until their Junior teams resumed
Cuylle, did this, also Garand and Schneider, and Skinner (ECHL til a couple weeks back, then 'Pack)
IF OHL plays, he leaves Pack, returns to Windsor
Garand and Schneider (and Robertson, who had NHL contract already) were with NYR, and then Pack, until their WHL teams convened

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
love this pick, hope he can be a Wilson type, if not, i'd gladly take a Crouse, Maroon/Wood type
It's hard to come up with a comp because it depends on a number of variables. Yes, he's big and mean but lots of guys who are big and mean don't make it.

I don't think he'll be as impactful as Wilson because Wilson can fly. Yeah, he's big and a nut, but people seriously overlook Wilson's speed as far as how much it contributes to his success.

I do hope he's better than Anderson. Anderson is one of those guys who fights sometimes and can also score a bit, so you do see it, but over 82 games, he's underwhelming most of the time.

And of the other three you mentioned, Maroon is good, Wood is ok I guess, and Crouse is hot garbage.

There's a lot of variety in terms of quality within the big and mean archetype.

He's an exciting prospect. That we can say.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
It's hard to come up with a comp because it depends on a number of variables. Yes, he's big and mean but lots of guys who are big and mean don't make it.

I don't think he'll be as impactful as Wilson because Wilson can fly. Yeah, he's big and a nut, but people seriously overlook Wilson's speed as far as how much it contributes to his success.

I do hope he's better than Anderson. Anderson is one of those guys who fights sometimes and can also score a bit, so you do see it, but over 82 games, he's underwhelming most of the time.

And of the other three you mentioned, Maroon is good, Wood is ok I guess, and Crouse is hot garbage.

Lias or Josh?

Reactions: Cag29

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

I agree that Cuylle should spend a bunch of time working on his speed and continuing to build more strength.

I'm not sure he'll ever be Tom Wilson. Wilson, for as unlikeable as he is, has some physical attributes that can't be developed. Size and reach. When you add that to his above average skating it makes him very effective.

I'm not sure I have the right comparable for Cuylle just yet because he's got some offense and decent hands. But I also don't necessarily see him as a human wrecking ball which is what one might expect eventually. He's gone from first line winger to middle six winger in Juniors. And now he may be developed as a bottom 6 winger and I see a kid whose still sorting that out a bit. With the Pack he kinda looks like he could be Morgan Barron's little brother. He does lots of things Morgan does but just every aspect is a bit more immature. He has a good shot, but Morgan has a great shot. He knows how to go to the net and get open, but Morgan does that better. He wins battles along the wall, but Morgan is a beast on the wall. He can skate pretty well and maybe that's where he and Morgan are closest. I don't think he'll be as good as Morgan Barron offensively but Barron is a good barometer for Cuylle. He just needs to elevate to Barron's level before taking the next step. And my guess is, that'll take another year or two or a bit more. He is def not anywhere near the NHL in my eyes. But he's already more intriguing because he's stylistically already in the ballpark of a pro as opposed to Ryan Gropp or someone who had to completely remake their game in the pros.

Now that he's signed I wouldn't be surprised if they bring him up to the taxi squad after Wolfpack year is over. Even just a handful of practices might be good for him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

It took Wilson some time to develop the game he has now and the Caps worked with him a lot and after a while put him on a line with Oveckin and that helped him develop the game he has now.

I like Cuylle and I liked where we took him in the draft but I don’t see him as a future too 6 player for us. I think he maxes out as a third line wing. A guy who might put in 15 goals a year and plays a physical hard nosed game. A Blake Coleman maybe. We’re short of that element right now in our organization.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wish people would stop trying to project our guys to be Tom Wilson, or like Tom Wilson, or whatever. Like, Lemieux was being compared to Tom Wilson. Cuylle? They're really not that similar. I think Tom Wilson is scum, but you gotta recognize that the guy is quite unique in terms if his build, his skating, and his overall skill. Just being big and tough and able to skate does not mean a guy is or will be similar to Wilson. Wilson is a really rare player.

Cuylle has an edge and plays with physicality but Tom Wilson is a guy who goes out there looking to hurt people (within the rules or not).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It took Wilson some time to develop the game he has now and the Caps worked with him a lot and after a while put him on a line with Oveckin and that helped him develop the game he has now.

I like Cuylle and I liked where we took him in the draft but I don’t see him as a future too 6 player for us. I think he maxes out as a third line wing. A guy who might put in 15 goals a year and plays a physical hard nosed game. A Blake Coleman maybe. We’re short of that element right now in our organization.
I would love a Blake Coleman.

The absolute poster boy for useful grit.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wish people would stop trying to project our guys to be Tom Wilson, or like Tom Wilson, or whatever. Like, Lemieux was being compared to Tom Wilson. Cuylle? They're really not that similar. I think Tom Wilson is scum, but you gotta recognize that the guy is quite unique in terms if his build, his skating, and his overall skill. Just being big and tough and able to skate does not mean a guy is or will be similar to Wilson. Wilson is a really rare player.

Cuylle has an edge and plays with physicality but Tom Wilson is a guy who goes out there looking to hurt people (within the rules or not).
Reminds me of way back now when everyone wanted Bertuzzi.

Like, yeah, I want a guy who scores 95 points while being the best checker in the league also, but there's one of him.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Let’s hope he tears up the OHL with this unexpected pro experience. Should spend at least half of 2022-23 in Hartford as well.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
He can't play in AHL next season?

that does seem to be true,
OHL or NHL for Cuylle in '21-22

below was from earlier today, in the Pack thread, before he had signed

My understanding of rules (see below) is that to be eligible for AHL,
he must either turn 20 in '21., OR have played 4 years of Major Junior

Will Cuylle Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
THIS season would have only been Cuylle's 3rd CHL/OHL season,
and he was born in '02
Schnieder will meet both of the criteria,
but it seems Cuylle won't meet either ....

i will be glad to be corrected if i am missing something, thanks
How Does The NHL-CHL Agreement work?
"Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad