Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Shesterkin

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
For real. Aside from minor cap circumventions, that's why God in his infinite wisdom created 4th -7th round draft picks- to dump overpaid players who still have some value when your cup window is short
I can't think of a trade where a team took on a cap dump for a 4th-7th.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ideally your best players would all be skaters, but this isn’t an ideal world, this is the Rangers.
To be fair, it's also the NHL.

Vasilevskiy makes ridiculous money and while he's very, very good, a well-trained squirrel could do his job. He faces like three tough shots a game.

Didn't stop then from winning multiple Cups.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
To be fair, it's also the NHL.

Vasilevskiy makes ridiculous money and while he's very, very good, a well-trained squirrel could do his job. He faces like three tough shots a game.

Didn't stop then from winning multiple Cups.
I don't think a squirrel could do it. NHL is emphasizing size in net.

Reactions: haveandare

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Ya’ll worry too much about the cap ffs
Tell that to Minnesota who bought out Suter and Parise which will knock their teeth in years 2-4 for about $14m of dead cap space. They have no chance to be even close to something significant for a long time. Why? Because ridiculous contracts were given out years ago. And here we have $ather junior, a.k.a. Drury at the helm of throwing money away. And you ask me to not worry about cap space? Ok. At least $ather was good at keeping the RFA contracts down while being utterly useless at UFA contracts. Now we know about the RFA contracts (Drury sucks). Trades? Meh. UFAs? We'll see.

Columbus signed a #1 D-man to a ridiculous contract, so did Edmonton, so did... so many. My only wonder is when will there be another lockout out of consistent GM incompetence? Again? There is no question of "if".

The league is systematically dysfunctional because so many incapable people are making decisions. Even with a cap space, they cannot handle it, at all. So, well, I'm not worried about cap space, but I look at it while observing how so many franchises are making really escalatingly stupid decisions.

I'm not saying Shesty's contract is horrible. The length is sensible and I can approve of that. 4 years shows confidence while not committing to something that can turn horribly. The cap hit was a bit high I think though, but oh well, the franchise believes in him, so be it.

Last edited:

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I don't think a squirrel could do it. NHL is emphasizing size in net.

Exactly, so a walrus sure could ....and you could pay him in carp.
walrus-goalie.gif

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Groin issues at a young age are a bitch. Cant imagine he’ll age well at this rate.

On account of this, the 4 years vice 6-8 may be smart. Gives us time to groom/trade for our next goalie of the future if Shesty doesn’t pan out. If he IS as great as we hope- then he deserves to get paid and hopefully we are in a position to do so.

Reactions: CasusBelli

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Tell that to Minnesota who bought out Suter and Parise which will knock their teeth in years 2-4 for about $14m of dead cap space. They have no chance to be even close to something significant for a long time. Why? Because ridiculous contracts were given out years ago. And here we have $ather junior, a.k.a. Drury at the helm of throwing money away. And you ask me to not worry about cap space? Ok. At least $ather was good at keeping the RFA contracts down while being utterly useless at UFA contracts. Now we know about the RFA contracts (Drury sucks). Trades? Meh. UFAs? We'll see.

Columbus signed a #1 D-man to a ridiculous contract, so did Edmonton, so did... so many. My only wonder is when will there be another lockout out of consistent GM incompetence? Again? There is no question of "if".

The league is systematically dysfunctional because so many incapable people are making decisions. Even with a cap space, they cannot handle it, at all. So, well, I'm not worried about cap space, but I look at it while observing how so many franchises are making really escalatingly stupid decisions.

I'm not saying Shesty's contract is horrible. The length is sensible and I can approve of that. 4 years shows confidence while not committing to something that can turn horribly. The cap hit was a bit high I think though, but oh well, the franchise believes in him, so be it.

What contracts exactly has Drury signed that is going to be a major problem down the road? Even Goodrow's 3.6 mil for 6 years is absolutely movable after year 4 if that is what needs to happen. Was it the 1.75mil/2 years for Reaves? Or the 3mil/3 yr for Lindgren? What about the 2.5mil/3 years for Nemeth or the 1.5mil/1yr that Blais has remaining? Please enlighten me as to the contracts that are anywhere near albatross status.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If he's named captain he will be traded to Tampa Bay.

Callahan was a bit older and traded over a contract dispute. Trouba has 5 more years. McDonagh was moved in a last minute deadline deal that almost didn’t happen after a once in a lifetime letter from the team to Rangers fans that the team was going to blow it up and start over. Lastly I’d like to know how Tampa with all of its cap issues could handle taking on Trouba’s cap hit. You really think that’s possible?

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Callahan was a bit older and traded over a contract dispute. Trouba has 5 more years. McDonagh was moved in a last minute deadline deal that almost didn’t happen after a once in a lifetime letter from the team to Rangers fans that the team was going to blow it up and start over. Lastly I’d like to know how Tampa with all of its cap issues could handle taking on Trouba’s cap hit. You really think that’s possible?

I guess you watch satire movies at face value.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

"Most handed out ever on a second contract"

Only 4 years?

My first thought is: We really are f***ing idiots.

My 2nd is: "I thought Hank took more coming off his ELC?" (Just looked, I don't remember it but apparently he had a little one year deal before the 6 year

3rd thought is: Can't wait to give him 8 years 10 M when he's about to turn 30 since that's what we just set ourselves up for.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I dont get the freaking out over the AAV. I think it's more than fair. Only 4 years is the meh part. How much is he going to want, if he plays as he's capable of and the cap gets to 95M. I guess we worry about that when we get there....

It'd be nice to lock up some talent long term, so when the cap does get to 90M+ its a great value.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
My only wonder is when will there be another lockout out of consistent GM incompetence?
The league is systematically dysfunctional because so many incapable people are making decisions.
Exactly how I feel. The NHL might have the lowest baseline level of ability amongst its front office guys. Like if The average NFL GM and front office staff is a C+, the average NHL one would be a flat out F. Not a good F like a 59 either. More like a 45. You're a solid F there. Ditto with NHL coaching.

OTOH NHL agents are A++++

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Gorts was doing the same stuff. The more I look back at his time here, the more I realize he was a so-so, if not flat out bad GM who had a good plan and a ton of luck. Drury learned under him.
I won't get into categorizing him as good or bad, but yeah, as I mentioned several pages back, Gorton is the guy who signed the Kreider and Trouba deals, signed and then bought out Shattenkirk, misplayed DeAngelo on that last contract, always signed terrible goons to play in the bottom six, loved to bridge when everyone wanted to go long with guys, hired the coach so many people hated, etc., etc. He did a lot of really good things but he had his fair share of swings and misses. I mean, one of the reasons I said I wasn't worried about the transition from Gorton to Drury was because I thought it would be more of the same. Drury was the protegee. So far, for better or worse (can be debated forever), it looks like more of the same to me.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I won't get into categorizing him as good or bad, but yeah, as I mentioned several pages back, Gorton is the guy who signed the Kreider and Trouba deals, signed and then bought out Shattenkirk, misplayed DeAngelo on that last contract, always signed terrible goons to play in the bottom six, loved to bridge when everyone wanted to go long with guys, hired the coach so many people hated, etc., etc. He did a lot of really good things but he had his fair share of swings and misses. I mean, one of the reasons I said I wasn't worried about the transition from Gorton to Drury was because I thought it would be more of the same. Drury was the protegee. So far, for better or worse (can be debated forever), it looks like more of the same to me.
On a semi related note, I just saw another young player we traded away in pionk has developed wonderfully elsewhere and is making exactly what we all wish trouba was. Yet another young player that Quinn (who supposedly was brought in bc he specialized in developing youth) failed to develop and we gave up on during our youth rebuild in order to take on what would be a bloated, overpaid contract that we literally cannot move. That contract now prevents us from signing youth

And we gave up a 1st lol.

I understand the hesitancy to label Gorton good or bad but flat out I think I just officially fell onto the "he f***in sucks" train after trying to convince myself he wasn't that bad in order to ruffle fewer HFNYR feathers.

I'm not kidding when I say people here would have done better on a LOT of Gortons moves. Not many people, but there are folks here who consistently questioned all these shitty moves and contracts. Since Gorton got taken to the cleaners on almost every major move he made save for zib and strome(which I hesitate to call "major") that isn't saying much

Last edited:
Reactions: Off Sides

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
"Most handed out ever on a second contract"

Only 4 years?

My first thought is: We really are f***ing idiots.

My 2nd is: "I thought Hank took more coming off his ELC?" (Just looked, I don't remember it but apparently he had a little one year deal before the 6 year

3rd thought is: Can't wait to give him 8 years 10 M when he's about to turn 30 since that's what we just set ourselves up for.
Or ya know… we can just not sign him to a monster contract and go find another goalie for cheaper value.

Reactions: Shadowtron

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
No shit. But I don't control what they do, I just comment on the pattern created when they keep doing the same things over and over
This is the case of the agent and the player betting on themselves getting more money when the cap goes up. It could work, or a goalie has 4 years to win the starting job and it could backfire

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

NHL just posted this on youtube,

Cool video thanks. If you watch closely so many times you see Hajek/Smith/Bitetto/JJ on the ice. Our third pairing of hopfully Nemeth/Nils has to be much better than what we've had the last couple of years. To me even more important than finding a 2c or 3c center for next year was stabilizing that third pairing to provide some consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad