Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Shesterkin

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I am not suggesting getting any new players just resigning players next offseason. We have cap issues but we still should be able to resign Zibs, Fox, Kravtsov, and Kakko. The next year gets super dicey with Chytil, Laf and the bunch up for contracts.
Well someone has to play center and right now we have Zbad halfway out the door ready to make a killing on his retirement contract, Strome has one yr left on his overpaid deal and Chytil is nothing but a big ?

Where are the posts saying Drury (or Gorton in the past 2 yrs) did well getting player X for Y$

There aren't any, and when you hand out clauses on top of them, you run out of space FAST to keep the youth and to fix the issues.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
Well someone has to play center and right now we have Zbad halfway out the door ready to make a killing on his retirement contract, Strome has one yr left on his overpaid deal and Chytil is nothing but a big ?

Where are the posts saying Drury (or Gorton in the past 2 yrs) did well getting player X for Y$

There aren't any, and when you hand out clauses on top of them, you run out of space FAST to keep the youth and to fix the issues.
I do not disagree, all I was responding to is someone saying we had 11 million to sign Fox, Zibs, Kakko and Kravtsov. I was saying we have enough to resign them all if we want. The cap situation is not good. The Trouba and Kreider contracts put us in a bad situation with the amount of kids we have. As much as I like Panarin and as much as he is worth what he is paid his contract is hard to navigate. The flat cap put us in a bad situation along with those three contracts.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I do not disagree, all I was responding to is someone saying we had 11 million to sign Fox, Zibs, Kakko and Kravtsov. I was saying we have enough to resign them all if we want. The cap situation is not good. The Trouba and Kreider contracts put us in a bad situation with the amount of kids we have. As much as I like Panarin and as much as he is worth what he is paid his contract is hard to navigate. The flat cap put us in a bad situation along with those three contracts.
The Panarin, CK and Trouba contracts are the heaviest. The CK and Trouba contracts provide the least value. I think AP can still be PPG as late as 33 years old, if he stays healthy, but we have a 2RD and a 3LW chewing up well $15-20MM. That’s hella rich. Maybe time to trade them with picks for future considerations. The longer we wait, the lower their values.

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
The Panarin, CK and Trouba contracts are the heaviest. The CK and Trouba contracts provide the least value. I think AP can still be PPG as late as 33 years old, if he stays healthy, but we have a 2RD and a 3LW chewing up well $15-20MM. That’s hella rich. Maybe time to trade them with picks for future considerations. The longer we wait, the lower their values.

Agree 100% but they both have a NMC for a couple more seasons. Trouba will not waive for sure.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Agree 100% but they both have a NMC for a couple more seasons. Trouba will not waive for sure.
Premature buyouts? We’re gonna have to do something. I’m ok letting Z walk if his demands are outlandish, or trading him at the deadline with heavy retention, but the young ones must stay.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
He has played 47 games, 1 playoff game. Granted, that hasn't been much in Shety's own hands to decide or influence, but still. That's a big contract for a goalie who hasn't even a regular season under his belt.
His numbers in the KHL are basically Gretzky-esque, he is the all-time career leader in almost every statistical category

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Will be interesting to see what Lamoriello does with Sorokin. Hope he doesn’t find a way to sign him to a much more team friendly contract.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I don't have a feeling one way or another if Trouba gets the captaincy. The C doesn't have to be the team's best or most talented player. He just needs to be the voice of the players and be the connector between them and the coaching staff. Plus, it frees the better players of the burden.

Reactions: Off Sides

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I don't think a new coach is going to come in and name someone captain that soon. I think they're going to wait another year for Laffy. He is the most vocal guy on our team, which is exceptionally rare in rookies. He has that Crosby/MacKinnon-like alpha mentality & obsession with winning, but he's also very loose and has an Ovechkin-like personality. He's a big game player, has an edge, and I think he is the strongest player mentally on our team. Not to mention the highest ceiling of anybody on the team too. I think if it were one of the vets they would've named them by now, if they don't name a captain at the start of this season I'm convinced they're waiting for Laffy.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
His numbers in the KHL are basically Gretzky-esque, he is the all-time career leader in almost every statistical category
Compare them to the other goalies on his team and they were not Gretsky-esque. Better than them for sure, but he wasn't even the clear number 1 over there in the KHL. Yes, he's young and that played a part, but Hank had no problem becoming his team's clear 1 in SHL/SEL despite his age. The skill discrepancy between top tier 2-3 teams in KHL and the rest is vast and can lead to stellar goalie numbers on those top teams. Not saying he's not worth it, but some context in those KHL records is needed.

Reactions: Shadowtron

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
We sure went from gushing over having the best young goalie in the world to thinking signing him for 7% of the cap for 4 years is a disaster awfully quick

I don't think in a vacuum it's a disaster or even outside of it, more so I think they pretty much paid him around 7M for his two UFA years and there is not really anything in the pipeline to replace him in 4 year either. (which is why some are already suspecting the Rangers will draft goalies with their earlier picks next year)

To me that seems silly as there is no really great possible outcome from it unless they win the Cup over that time period.

No Cup

He is good and they pay him what for any UFA years beyond when he is age 29. 10M?

He is average, and they gave an average goalie 5.66M cap hit?

He is bad, and they gave a bad goalie 5.66M cap hit and then what, buy him out?

With a Cup(s) all if forgiven, and I am happy.

Detroit traded a 3rd and gave Nedeljkovic 3M for 2 years

The outcomes there

He is good and he gets a raise to 7M, maybe, down side he'll be a UFA and could leave. They drafted Cossa this draft and have several other goalie prospects both signed and on their reserve list.

He is average and they are happy with 3M for a couple years and will take it from there.

He is bad, and 3M becomes ~2M if he is demoted to the AHL and it's two years.

The difference between how two different organization operate is somewhat obvious. One has a long term plan, with contingencies, the other not so much.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
We sure went from gushing over having the best young goalie in the world to thinking signing him for 7% of the cap for 4 years is a disaster awfully quick

People on this board will complain about anything. They would complain if we bridged him for 2 years or signed him to a 7 year contract and anything in between. This deal was a compromise and I am fine with it, both AAV and term. People act like four years is right around the corner, it's not, and the calculator crew is desperately trying to estimate what the cap will look like by then.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Rangers are not Tampa. They are not good enough to be able to keep a high cap hit player(s) on LTIR and still make the playoffs.

People really seem to like to see the Rangers do the same stuff over and over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad