Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Penn State Defender Vince Pedrie (UFA)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Another good signing, talked him up the last few years in the prospects thread as I've watched alot of Lions games over the years, though we are loading up on LH dmen.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Another good signing, talked him up the last few years in the prospects thread as I've watched alot of Lions games over the years, though we are loading up on LH dmen.

Can he play on his off side? We have Smith and Graves who can both do that.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I have no qualms about that. It allows us to deal from a position of strength. Id rather gobble up all the good LHD than take our chances on RHD who may not be as good simply because it addresses a position of weakness.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

He actually played Right Side on Penn State's top pairing all season. Watched some videos of the prior season, too, and saw him playing right side as well. Probably had the same lefty partner both years (Erik Autio). Gorts sure seems to know what he's doing.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
The more I look at this, the better I feel about it. For a NCAA UDFA signing, we couldn't have done much better.

- Lefty that has spent all his time @ Penn State playing Right side.
- Excels on both the PP and the PK.
- Finished with the 5th best +/- in NCAA D1 this season.
- Tied for 11th in total points for a Dman in NCAA D1.

When asked who he compares his game to...he says John Carlson (I lol'd @ that. He wishes! But he did say it in an interview last year).

I'm taking the glass is half full approach with this guy. There's a lot to like.

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I like this signing a lot for what it is, in my unbiased opinion ;). As others mentioned, he can play both sides, but played the right this season. He's definitely an offensive guy, but he's very responsibly defensively and holds his own. He was third in the NCAA this year in shots, and first among defensemen. Friends of mine on campus who know him say his favorite saying is: You can't score if you pass. :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, I like this signing a lot for what it is, in my unbiased opinion ;). As others mentioned, he can play both sides, but played the right this season. He's definitely an offensive guy, but he's very responsibly defensively and holds his own. He was third in the NCAA this year in shots, and first among defensemen. Friends of mine on campus who know him say his favorite saying is: You can't score if you pass. :laugh:

Love this kid already

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I have no qualms about that. It allows us to deal from a position of strength. Id rather gobble up all the good LHD than take our chances on RHD who may not be as good simply because it addresses a position of weakness.

Deal? Who are we dealing?

What is your thought on him? I have seen him play maybe twice and honestly I can't remember much about the guy.

He spent most of his time on the right side at Penn State. Quick hands, adjusts well to the right side in the offensive zone with accurate passing and a very good accurate slap and wrister from the point. So-so defensive player, relies on his stick alot. Not a big guy but pretty strong for his size, had a couple of good fights in USHL, where he won a Championship with the Indiana Ice a few years back.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
There was a question mark for a reason. Doesn't seem like an NHL'er to me, just from my initial research. Hope I'm wrong.

What does nationality have anything to do with this? Did I claim the same aged Bereglazov was going to be a first pairing defenseman? This is such a bizarre claim. Its now become common for people to say this to me, even though it makes no sense. I'm American, but I hate this guy because he's American? :laugh: Reality is that the UDFA market, especially from the NCAA has very few NHL'ers that are anything better than dime a dozen players. I see people talk about these players as if their realistic projections are NHL players. Its just not the case. I myself was fooled by Gilmour. That Aston-Reese guy that everyone was making a big deal about likely won't score 40 points in any NHL season, and people talked about that guy as if he was the second coming. Remember the Vesey sweepstakes? Every Ranger fan should. On pace for lower than 30 points after many projected 40-50. Signing free players is never bad, and is necessary, but I don't get all the frenzy about these UDFA signings. Very rarely do you get a Kevin Hayes. This market almost always produces a lot of disappointments due to the NCAA basically being a junior league where these older players beat up on younger players, yet the media feels the need to hype these players up. Its necessary to sign these players, and I'm not saying otherwise, but excuse me if I'm not going to predict such grand things for a player like this. Sign an Adam Fox or Patrick Harper in a few years, and then I'll get excited.

Dude you are not objective and I don't think you realize it.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I don't see the downside of gambling on him, unless giving him a contract keeps them from landing a higher end guy like Sheehy or Pionk.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

“It was an extremely, extremely hard decision. I thought about it for a while,†Pedrie said.

At 8 p.m. Monday night, Vince Pedrie got a call from his agent regarding a possible contract offer from one of the most decorated franchises in NHL history.

Around three hours later, Pedrie decided to forgo his final two years of eligibility at Penn State to sign a two-way deal with the New York Rangers

lol :P

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Were these shots on goal or shots in total? :)

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Whatever you say, DUDE.

I love when people try to play police officer on here. How about you mind your own business? I don't need nor want your counseling.

I'm not giving you counseling I am stating a fact. Your complete bias has ruined and derailed many discussions in the past. Especially concerning Buchnevich who can do no wrong. I don't care if you like it. There is an ignore button. Use it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To stay on topic.

Are there any more NCAA underclassmen like this guy who are right handed and that people think MIGHT turn pro this offseason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad