Confirmed with Link: Rangers Sign Penn State Defender Vince Pedrie (UFA)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's been awesome watching Penn State's program rise over the last half decade.

Pedrie definitely has some good tools and we'll see how they translate to the pro game.

Reactions: lucky13

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's been awesome watching Penn State's program rise over the last half decade.

Pedrie definitely has some good tools and we'll see how they translate to the pro game.

Don't want to get too off-topic, but do you think Denis Smirnov gets drafted this year? Not at all familiar with how it all works, but then would he be an UDFA or what?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Don't want to get too off-topic, but do you think Denis Smirnov gets drafted this year? Not at all familiar with how it all works, but then would he be an UDFA or what?

it seems consensus on prospects board he will get picked somewhere.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I can't see him going undrafted.

There are still questions about size and strength at the pro level, but this kid is just so talented. If he we three inches taller, and 15 pounds heavier, he'd already be drafted.

I'll go out on a limb and say someone grabs him in the third round. But in a weaker draft, I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the second.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
It is great that the Rangers seem to be a go-to destination for all these college players- it has made up for the loss in picks 10-fold.

The fact that the Rangers are a winning organization, that treats its players so well, only bodes well for future kids to sign with the team.

Also, the Rangers look good for the long-term, but will need guys to step in every year...as such, NYR are in a good place right now.

glees68

Penn State
Dec 20, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can't see him going undrafted.

There are still questions about size and strength at the pro level, but this kid is just so talented. If he we three inches taller, and 15 pounds heavier, he'd already be drafted.

I'll go out on a limb and say someone grabs him in the third round. But in a weaker draft, I wouldn't be shocked if he went in the second.

I agree completely. I'd love for him to be a Ranger :nod::laugh:

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It is great that the Rangers seem to be a go-to destination for all these college players- it has made up for the loss in picks 10-fold.

The fact that the Rangers are a winning organization, that treats its players so well, only bodes well for future kids to sign with the team.

Also, the Rangers look good for the long-term, but will need guys to step in every year...as such, NYR are in a good place right now.

But our organization is a joke and a dumpster fire that has completely fallen apart!

Gorton out! AV out!

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Since the Pedrie signing, Pionk, Gilmour, Hajek, and Lindgren have taken big strides in their development, especially Pionk. Pedrie now seems to be a forgotten prospect. Anyone have any updates on him? I remember after signing him, he had something like over 0.5 PPG for the Pack to end the 2016-17 season. Took lots of shots and seemed somewhat promising. Now, he’s most likely never going to get a shot with the NYR, but does he still have potential? Since the signing, I projected his ceiling to be a meh #4 guy, but realistically, I thought he may eventually become an average bottom pairing guy. Now, maybe a #7 defenseman.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hard to assess Pedrie. If he played in any of the four or so games I've watched this year, I don't remember.

Last year he was a guy who was maybe slightly better than average for an AHL player at moving the puck. He shot a lot though I don't recall his shot being anything other than average. His skating is pretty good. He's not very strong or physical and his defense is just adequate at the AHL level. All in all he looks like a career AHL player, or like someone who could find a home in the SHL or Liiga, or the NLA or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buchnevich89

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
yeah he, Crawley, Day sharing the 6th spot mostly

NameGPGAPTS+/-PIM
Chris Bigras11167210
John Gilmour11235-90
Rob O'Gara11112016
Libor Hajek1101138
Ryan Lindgren9011-114
Brandon Crawley6134-313
Sean Day5000-60
Vince Pedrie300002
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TheAHL.com

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I feel he has good hands, good puck-moving ability, good skating, and a slightly above average shot, but nothing really stands out to me, except that he likes to shoot.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I feel he has good hands, good puck-moving ability, good skating, and a slightly above average shot, but nothing really stands out to me, except that he likes to shoot.
Yeah that's fair. He's a decent PMD at the AHL level, but I don't think any skills are high-end to the degree where he could play in the NHL. And then his defense isn't great.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Don't think Pedrie's going to play a lot unless there are injuries and I don't think he's going to be around next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad