Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Matt Rempe to ELC (2020 round 6 #165)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I definitely agree that there's no issue in giving him a contract. Sign him up, let him finish the year in Hartford and play there next year, and hope he puts it together.

He is huge and he gets around okay and that should improve. He also seems willing which is a big deal. It’s not hard to see a plan or path for him. The question is whether the plan will come to fruition. A long time ago Chara was this huge kid with a similar outlook for a career. I don’t expect Rempe to approach what Chara has but the Isles took a chance and nurtured Zdeno early and he turned into a whale of a player.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
parroting exactly what I said like 2 months ago but there's something about the fact that Rempe didn't just, idk, die on ice with other NHLers around and that he actually played. for the profile this guy had as a draft pick and player, I would've never expected to even see his face. let alone looking, uh, passable? against some NHL talent.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
Interesting timing that as the Kravtsov situation seemed to have movement behind the scenes, suddenly Drury decides to sign this player.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
parroting exactly what I said like 2 months ago but there's something about the fact that Rempe didn't just, idk, die on ice with other NHLers around and that he actually played. for the profile this guy had as a draft pick and player, I would've never expected to even see his face. let alone looking, uh, passable? against some NHL talent.
The kid looked like a giraffe out there, and seemed a little behind the play, especially when he had to read and react. But, it's not hard to see what the FO sees. The kid is willing to play to kind of game that he'll need to in order to carve out a role at the next level. Tall players often struggle to adapt when they try to overpower their opponents and use the same skill elements they did at lower levels. It seems like Rempe knows he's going to have to be a PITA that hits everything in sight. If he can grow into his body (improve skating and coordination) and add enough weight to his frame without killing his speed, he can probably play in this league. That's not a small ask though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He’s a project which is what we should expect for a 6th rounder. Obvious in training camp he had skating/balance issues. I don’t care all that much about the point production this year. He’s 4th line material if he ever makes the Rangers or even another NHL team. He was impressive in the rookie games against the rookie Flyers. They knew when he was out on the ice. Played physical and got under skins. I was very surprised when 1) the Rangers gave him a preseason game and 2) signed him to an ELC shortly thereafter which tells me what we see on the surface isn’t the whole picture that Rangers management sees. They must like him quite a lot.

Since he brings it up the fights I’ve seen him in so far taken as a whole haven’t been all that impressive. Sometimes he gets the edge in them only because of his size. He’s going to lose some when he hits the pros. The ECHL and AHL have guys that have been doing that for a while and will outsmart him and also use those balance issues he has now against him. If he wants to make that a really important part of his pro game he’s going to have to stick it out through some tough ones. Just saying.

Reactions: egelband

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Brother have you tried reading a book that piece is as shallow as it gets
It was a good read in that it was since to hear the player himself speak about his attitude and what he wants to accomplish, and get a bit more info on him. Nobody was saying it was f***in Blood Meridian. Hahahah.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad