Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Matt Rempe to ELC (2020 round 6 #165)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Other than size, he doesn't really bring anything. Even in junior hockey, he gets by using his size only because he doesn't really have any skill. His hands are decent, I guess.

Reactions: Leetch3

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Seems like odd timing really when you could just wait and see how his WHL season plays out before making a decision on him

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Gotta sign '20 CHL picks before June, but ahead of Garand, or even Vierling, surprises me some
He did have a decent Prospect Camp

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

fm

Jul 28, 2016
Would love to get a 5th liner like him on the big club pronto

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It’s obvious that the Rangers see something in this player that a lot of Rangers fans don’t or at least not yet. He’s not the next Bruce Graham though. I saw Graham in AHL competition and he didn’t hit players so much as bounce off them. Graham despite his size was not physical. Graham also put up better CHL numbers.

When the Rangers played Rempe in their first exhibition against the Islanders it made me think that the Rangers are serious about this guy. Not every 19 year old gets that kind of opportunity. They liked his camp and against the Flyers rookies he was an asshole all game long. What I see is a guy who needs to work on his skating and coordination. Partly those issues have to do with Rempe’s size. Kind of a you’re too big thing as opposed to a you’re too small thing. Anyway I wouldn’t worry overmuch about his WHL production stats. He’s years away and bottom line material.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It’s obvious that the Rangers see something in this player that a lot of Rangers fans don’t or at least not yet. He’s not the next Bruce Graham though. I saw Graham in AHL competition and he didn’t hit players so much as bounce off them. Graham despite his size was not physical. Graham also put up better CHL numbers.

When the Rangers played Rempe in their first exhibition against the Islanders it made me think that the Rangers are serious about this guy. Not every 19 year old gets that kind of opportunity. They liked his camp and against the Flyers rookies he was an asshole all game long. What I see is a guy who needs to work on his skating and coordination. Partly those issues have to do with Rempe’s size. Kind of a you’re too big thing as opposed to a you’re too small thing. Anyway I wouldn’t worry overmuch about his WHL production stats. He’s years away and bottom line material.
Yes, they very clearly like him which is interesting. I'm joking at his expense but I do hope that, like all the other guys I joke about (Lindbum), they become productive players for us down the road.

With Rempe I do see a guy who plays physical hockey--and is perhaps emphasizing it to his offensive detriment this year--and who seems to understand what it will take for him to carve out a role as a pro. He's going to need to be a physical force, he'll probably need to fight more, he's going to have to collect his points living in front of the net, etc. His skating is "good for a big guy" which as we know means below NHL average in most cases, which holds him back. He also just doesn't really have a whole lot of offensive sense or skill. Decent enough hands but he's not creative, doesn't really move the puck around very well, etc. Some of that may come in time, and that's probably what the Rangers are hoping for. Still, it's unusual for guys to stick in the NHL in any capacity when they haven't been productive in junior, so you'd like to see Rempe pick it up a little bit and produce closer to his levels from two years ago.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes, they very clearly like him which is interesting. I'm joking at his expense but I do hope that, like all the other guys I joke about (Lindbum), they become productive players for us down the road.

With Rempe I do see a guy who plays physical hockey--and is perhaps emphasizing it to his offensive detriment this year--and who seems to understand what it will take for him to carve out a role as a pro. He's going to need to be a physical force, he'll probably need to fight more, he's going to have to collect his points living in front of the net, etc. His skating is "good for a big guy" which as we know means below NHL average in most cases, which holds him back. He also just doesn't really have a whole lot of offensive sense or skill. Decent enough hands but he's not creative, doesn't really move the puck around very well, etc. Some of that may come in time, and that's probably what the Rangers are hoping for. Still, it's unusual for guys to stick in the NHL in any capacity when they haven't been productive in junior, so you'd like to see Rempe pick it up a little bit and produce closer to his levels from two years ago.

if he make the NHL I’m sure it will be as a physical force. A 12th or 13th forward. I think he’ll be something of an enforcer. As far as dropping the gloves right now his balance and coordination issues are detriments. He definitely needs to work on that but that could come around naturally as he gets older. I think the Rangers would like to see him evolve into more than just a goon though. It’s wait and see. There’s really no issue giving him a contract. We have up to 50 and these are things you can get out of. Also it could take him 6/7 years to make it and he might be out of the organization by then. It will be interesting to see where he’s at next training camp.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
if he make the NHL I’m sure it will be as a physical force. A 12th or 13th forward. I think he’ll be something of an enforcer. As far as dropping the gloves right now his balance and coordination issues are detriments. He definitely needs to work on that but that could come around naturally as he gets older. I think the Rangers would like to see him evolve into more than just a goon though. It’s wait and see. There’s really no issue giving him a contract. We have up to 50 and these are things you can get out of. Also it could take him 6/7 years to make it and he might be out of the organization by then. It will be interesting to see where he’s at next training camp.
I definitely agree that there's no issue in giving him a contract. Sign him up, let him finish the year in Hartford and play there next year, and hope he puts it together.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad