Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Dan Boyle - 2 yrs / $9M ($4.5AAV)

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Boyle just did a conference call with the media. Here's the quote I found the most interesting.

@HartnettHockey: D.Boyle said he had a rough 3 months due to concussion. Boyle: "A lot of people said it was the age factor. I don't buy that for a second."

Another guy who was 'never the same' after his concussion?

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
That was a good read, especially for hbuzz.

I like the Boyle signing a lot. Him being able to comfortably swing in there too is in part because of Marc Staal. I think they will compliment each other greatly. There was a quote I read from the presser where he talked about feeling like himself down the stretch to end the year and how he thrives on big moments and pressure situations. Sounds more like an attitude that tends to thrive on Broadway.

Most interesting part might of been where he said something along the lines of "I have to earn my minutes". To me he has to know he's a lock for at least 2nd pair duty (by the way he led the Sharks in ATOI last year), it sounded like he was politely saying he would earn a spot on the top pairing.

I'm excited about our off-season so far. Boyle was the best big move we could have made realistically, and a lot of depth signing to go with it.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Richards had a concussion his final year in Dallas and was never the same player.

Nash is fine if he doesn't have to get into a dirty area of the ice.
Which he flat out avoids doing now. It seems he wants to get engaged in those areas at some points and then it's almost like something clicks in him and he softens up. He's not the same IMO.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Richards never had a concussion and Nash is now fine

Nash seems tentative driving to the net. The speculation may be concussion-related, but I really can't definitively speculate because I'm not his doctor, and if I was he would be in trouble. Concussions are tricky. Hopefully Boyle no longer feels any ill-effects from his last season and can step it up from last season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
so im not sure when exactly Boyle started feeling right after his concussion. If you look at his last 23 games of the regular season he had 4 goals, 10 assists for 14 points.

he also had 4 assists in 7 playoff games.

so his last 30GP he had 4/14/18

thats almost 50 point production. not too bad. if he gives us that next season, it woudl be a HUGE boost.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
so im not sure when exactly Boyle started feeling right after his concussion. If you look at his last 23 games of the regular season he had 4 goals, 10 assists for 14 points.

he also had 4 assists in 7 playoff games.

so his last 30GP he had 4/14/18

thats almost 50 point production. not too bad. if he gives us that next season, it woudl be a HUGE boost.

If we get 50 points out of Boyle, Stralman will be a DISTANT memory, even here.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
If we get 50 points out of Boyle, Stralman will be a DISTANT memory, even here.

not if the Rangers give up a couple more goals and don't go at least as far as last season. There are posters ready to pounce if the Rangers fail to achieve success in the playoffs, let alone make the playoffs.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
not if the Rangers give up a couple more goals and don't go at least as far as last season. There are posters ready to pounce if the Rangers fail to achieve success in the playoffs, let alone make the playoffs.

People hated last years team because it wasn't the 2012 team. Same people are gonna hate every team we ice until we win a cup.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Richards had a concussion his final year in Dallas and was never the same player.

Nash is fine if he doesn't have to get into a dirty area of the ice.

Eh. Richards had a pretty rough first half with the Rangers his first year but he really picked it up once he got his confidence going. I don't really blame that concussion on him falling.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I personally do not care about the actual point totals for Dan Boyle.

He's been brought in here to make the PP better. He's going to get close to 20 minutes a night between ES and PP.

If he makes the transition game smoother than it was last year and helps improve the PP to the point of it not being momentum killer, then he will have been a good signing.

However, the fact that the Sharks last year were % wise worse off than the Rangers with much better forward talent and being on the ice for 3:38 per game doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies.

I hope he comes in here and lights the world on fire. I'm not EXPECTING anything close to that, but I am hoping it happens.

I expect Dan Boyle to have another 30-40 point season while getting his 6-8 goals on the PP with another 10 assists

If the PP is a weapon that opposing teams have to respect, then he will have done his job in my opinion.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The PP, Richards had 19 PP pts last year, Boyle had 18 PP pts with the Sharks. Is he really going to make the PP so effective it wins the Rangers games?

On top of that the playoffs, the PP matters, but the teams that usually win the cup and the ones who advance the furthest usually are also at the top of the 5 on 5 goals for goals against ratio, yet their PP%s are all over the place.

On top of that the Rangers have been bringing in players who were supposed to help the power play for, I can't even remember how long, and the only time I can remember it really working was when they had Jagr. Boyle is no Jagr

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Boyle replaces the void at the top of the PP left by Richards, and his contract doesn't clog the right side with NMCs for the next few years. The Rangers PP stays the same (instead of getting worse) and management has some roster flexibility. I'm fine with this move, so long as Boyle has gas left in the tank come playoffs. I'm sure management did their due diligence.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
The PP, Richards had 19 PP pts last year, Boyle had 18 PP pts with the Sharks. Is he really going to make the PP so effective it wins the Rangers games?

On top of that the playoffs, the PP matters, but the teams that usually win the cup and the ones who advance the furthest usually are also at the top of the 5 on 5 goals for goals against ratio, yet their PP%s are all over the place.

On top of that the Rangers have been bringing in players who were supposed to help the power play for, I can't even remember how long, and the only time I can remember it really working was when they had Jagr. Boyle is no Jagr

If Boyle scores as many points as did Richards, and the PP is the same as last season, isn't that still a win for the Rangers? Perhaps without Boyle, and without Richards, the PP goes the way of Carolina, Buffalo or Florida because there really isn't a #1 point guy on this team, outside McDonough, and it's just abysmal. Everyone is looking for improvement, and that's what you want, but Richards was bought-out. This team needs to get back to at least the level at which it was with Richards because he hasn't effectively been replaced.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If Boyle scores as many points as did Richards, and the PP is the same as last season, isn't that still a win for the Rangers? Perhaps without Boyle, and without Richards, the PP goes the way of Carolina, Buffalo or Florida because there really isn't a #1 point guy on this team, outside McDonough, and it's just abysmal. Everyone is looking for improvement, and that's what you want, but Richards was bought-out. This team needs to get back to at least the level at which it was with Richards because he hasn't effectively been replaced.

Was hoping for an improvement, I guess is the best answer. Richards was not very good on the power play considering the amount of ice time he had on it.

5th in total power play time among forwards league wide tied for 36th in PP pts.

At least Boyle PP time and his ranking make a bit of sense, 10th in total PP time for defenders, 15th in pts.

My issue would be more along the lines of does the PP in the playoffs really matter all that much compared to 5 on 5 play.

5 on 5 goals for / goals against ratio in the playoffs

Last year LA led, (Rangers led in that stat until the King series)
2012-13 Chicago and Boston co led
11-12 LA and NJ were the leaders
10-11 Boston Led

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad