Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Dan Boyle - 2 yrs / $9M ($4.5AAV)

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
His contract is drool worthy. I think Klein has a fair bit of value if and when we move him.

The Rangers are paying $2.9mm for a third pair defenseman. He may be the best out there, and is capable of top four minutes on many teams, but it's a lot for a third pair defenseman and an insurance policy when you've spent as much as the Rangers have on many other individuals.

Senorchris

Nov 29, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Sharks fans unanimously agree that Boyle is a shell of himself and on the decline.

I hope he isn't, but the chances of an entire fan base being wrong is slim.

Boyle scored goals on a stacked offensive Sharks team.

I watched a lot of Sharks games this year, mostly due to proximity (they're sort of my adopted 2nd team, although being there in person for the 9-2 loss put a bit of a damper on that).

There's no question that for the bulk of this year - Boyle looked slow, old, and confused. He was single-handedly responsible for a ton of odd-man rushes - his ability to turn and catch speedy forwards pushing the puck past him at the offensive blue line was at times worse than watching Richards try to the do the same on our PP.

That said, I really believe a big portion of it was the concussion, and coming back too early. He improved late on in the season, and was decent early-on. His ability to make plays happen in the offensive zone never went away - stickhandling while walking the line, finding lanes and getting pucks to the net was always on, and significantly better than any Rangers d-man (consistently - McD had a few moments of brilliance, but it wasn't his raison d'etre).

Don't get me wrong - Sharks fans are absolutely right about how god-awful he was for stretches this year, but as long as he gets his conditioning back over the summer (no-one can lose *that* much of a step in a few months), he'll be a good player for us. Absolutely no-one on the Rangers D can do what he can potentially do when he's on his game - I just hope he has the legs for it.

Cake or Death

The Rangers are paying $2.9mm for a third pair defenseman. He may be the best out there, and is capable of top four minutes on many teams, but it's a lot for a third pair defenseman and an insurance policy when you've spent as much as the Rangers have on many other individuals.

Valid on the $2.9. But for all we know, the team may have looked at what they had to do in re-signings this off-season and maybe they planned on moving Klein top 4 this coming season. Klein did average 19-21 mins a game the past 5 seasons in Nashville, so it's not insane to think they may have pegged him for a top 4 spot in looking at what was likely to happen this off-season. Who knows, but not entirely far fetched.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I watched a lot of Sharks games this year, mostly due to proximity (they're sort of my adopted 2nd team, although being there in person for the 9-2 loss put a bit of a damper on that).

There's no question that for the bulk of this year - Boyle looked slow, old, and confused. He was single-handedly responsible for a ton of odd-man rushes - his ability to turn and catch speedy forwards pushing the puck past him at the offensive blue line was at times worse than watching Richards try to the do the same on our PP.

That said, I really believe a big portion of it was the concussion, and coming back too early. He improved late on in the season, and was decent early-on. His ability to make plays happen in the offensive zone never went away - stickhandling while walking the line, finding lanes and getting pucks to the net was always on, and significantly better than any Rangers d-man (consistently - McD had a few moments of brilliance, but it wasn't his raison d'etre).

Don't get me wrong - Sharks fans are absolutely right about how god-awful he was for stretches this year, but as long as he gets his conditioning back over the summer (no-one can lose *that* much of a step in a few months), he'll be a good player for us. Absolutely no-one on the Rangers D can do what he can potentially do when he's on his game - I just hope he has the legs for it.

I think this is pretty fair, I watched a good amount of the Sharks games as well, and I think what their fans are saying is accurate. Post concussion he had issues, was improving, yet was pretty much not a factor in the playoffs so that was concerning.

I'm not sure he will really be all that effective. I think he'll help the power play but I also think it's a pretty big trade off on the defensive side of things for the Rangers especially 5 on 5 and on the PK compared to what Stralman was bringing.

McCabe the year or two prior to coming top the Rangers is what I am hoping for, McCabe the one the Rangers ended up with is the player I am fearing he is now or next season.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Got no problem paying Klein 2.9 to play 3rd pair. Defense and goaltending has been our strength for awhile. I'm fine with it.

Agreed. I wouldnt want Boyle on the 3rd pair with John Moore. That would scream goals against. $2.9 million really isnt a lot and it certainly will continue to be high end value to have a defensive minded stable defenseman with an offensive minded one throughout the 6. It will also even out the minutes more between the 2nd and 3rd pairs which will keep Boyle fresh.

SupersonicMonkey*

I hope it was the concussion, because we got him, and we need him to step up now.

Hopefully he recovers fully before camp.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Valid on the $2.9. But for all we know, the team may have looked at what they had to do in re-signings this off-season and maybe they planned on moving Klein top 4 this coming season. Klein did average 19-21 mins a game the past 5 seasons in Nashville, so it's not insane to think they may have pegged him for a top 4 spot in looking at what was likely to happen this off-season. Who knows, but not entirely far fetched.

He's a movable asset. My only point is it's expensive on the Rangers today. We will see what they do with him. Signing Boyle may mean he stays.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I really do like Dan Boyle. In fact, he's one of those players that you can't be mad about signing because it's just cool seeing him in a Rangers sweater.

He needs to step up his ES play, though, if our 2nd pairing is gonna be close to as good as it was last year. It's that simple.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I really do like Dan Boyle. In fact, he's one of those players that you can't be mad about signing because it's just cool seeing him in a Rangers sweater.

He needs to step up his ES play, though, if our 2nd pairing is gonna be close to as good as it was last year. It's that simple.

It's funny sometimes calling the pairing that went up against Crosby a second pairing. I understand the label, but it arguably was often as important as the first. Boyle against top lines may be...?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Playing with quality defenders like McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi should help. San Jose's blue line was hurtin' last year. Having to play a 37 year old, banged up Dan Boyle the most minutes out of any d man on their blueline is a testament to that.

As I have said before, we should bump up those three's ES time (particularly McD's) and play Boyle around 15 minutes at ES. Should help his numbers, IMO.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Kleins contract is very good. I consider him a 2nd pair D, but even of I didn't, I don't know what you guys think good veteran 3rd pair D cost. It's not $1.5m.

Besides, we have a very cheap defense. ~$24m for that group is fantastic.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Kleins contract is very good. I consider him a 2nd pair D, but even of I didn't, I don't know what you guys think good veteran 3rd pair D cost. It's not $1.5m.

Besides, we have a very cheap defense. ~$24m for that group is fantastic.

I was at work when I made this point, but now I'm home and I'd like to reinforce it.

Klein would be the 5th+ highest paid defenseman on 8 teams.

He would be 4th on 13 teams. Those teams are Bos, LA, NJ, Van, Dal, Det, Col, Ari, Edm, Mtl, Clb, Buf, and Ott. With the exception of Boston and LA, not a single one of those teams has a better D group than we do. On those two teams are guys who only are getting paid small amounts because of their age/status. Hamilton and Muzzin will both be making more than $3m at Klein's age. Similar stories are true for many of the teams in this group. Those are just the ones worth pointing out.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You will see how important Klein is next year over the course of a full season with Stralman gone. And not just important but good as well. He will take those PK minutes stralman was getting and be a stalwart back there.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I was at work when I made this point, but now I'm home and I'd like to reinforce it.

Klein would be the 5th+ highest paid defenseman on 8 teams.

He would be 4th on 13 teams. Those teams are Bos, LA, NJ, Van, Dal, Det, Col, Ari, Edm, Mtl, Clb, Buf, and Ott. With the exception of Boston and LA, not a single one of those teams has a better D group than we do. On those two teams are guys who only are getting paid small amounts because of their age/status. Hamilton and Muzzin will both be making more than $3m at Klein's age. Similar stories are true for many of the teams in this group. Those are just the ones worth pointing out.

When do the salaries of the other four look like in those teams? The Rangers spend a lot on defense and goaltending.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
When do the salaries of the other four look like in those teams? The Rangers spend a lot on defense and goaltending.

Well, just an example, but Chicago pays ~$24M for their defenseman and $6.75M on their goaltending. The main difference is Hank/Crawford's salary.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I would think it's doubtful they carry Allen as a 7th. They need him to play.

I was thinking the same and forgot to include how/if McIlrath gets into the fold.
I've been looking at the roster of signed players and Sather has to be somewhat forced into making a trade for a top center.
If its someone like Kadri or O'Reilly then I'm guessing Brassard and J. Moore are involved which means they're banking on someone like Lindberg to center the 3rd line with Hagelin and Miller?
Too many questions. No doubt there's a huge hole at C.

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Boyle just did a conference call with the media. Here's the quote I found the most interesting.

@HartnettHockey: D.Boyle said he had a rough 3 months due to concussion. Boyle: "A lot of people said it was the age factor. I don't buy that for a second."

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Boyle just did a conference call with the media. Here's the quote I found the most interesting.

@HartnettHockey: D.Boyle said he had a rough 3 months due to concussion. Boyle: "A lot of people said it was the age factor. I don't buy that for a second."

Luckily the Rangers have had nothing but good luck when it comes to players with concussions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad