Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign D Ryan Graves

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Serious question. What's the difference in potential between him and McIlrath?

McIlrath is a lot meaner/nastier. Graves abuses smaller players, and keeps the crease quite clear, but he does not have the mean streak McIlrath does.

Graves is developing better than most thought he would. McIlrath's ceiling is top 4. Graves' is reliable bottom pair, or if EVERYTHING goes right, middle pair d-man.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The few times I've seen McI he hasn't been mobile at all.

He's got typical man-child balance issues but he skates well for a big man. Usually when he looks slow it's because his brain is slow.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Okay, that sounds great. Sounds like he could develop into a very solid defensive guy.

How's his outlet pass?

Acceptable. He's usually not the one moving the puck however, as he's almost exclusively paired with Randy Gazzola and Guillaume Gelinas. Those two are the far-and-away best OFD in the Q.

I don't see puck moving as a part of his future skillset. He's just not used that way.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
To note, since joining VDO Graves has really cut down on fighting. I don't remember him fighting at all since the trade, really.

He's become very important for them. There's a chance fighting is not a part of his skillset moving forward. He's good at it though, maybe above average.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Acceptable. He's usually not the one moving the puck however, as he's almost exclusively paired with Randy Gazzola and Guillaume Gelinas. Those two are the far-and-away best OFD in the Q.

I don't see puck moving as a part of his future skillset. He's just not used that way.

Well he shouldn't be a primary puck mover or anything, just capable of making a first pass, even it's just a good pass to his d partner.

How is he at handling the puck under pressure? Does he use his size effectively against opposing forecheckers?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Well he shouldn't be a primary puck mover or anything, just capable of making a first pass, even it's just a good pass to his d partner.

How is he at handling the puck under pressure? Does he use his size effectively against opposing forecheckers?

Handling the puck under pressure, he's eh. Could be better. He's playing on the top offensive team in the Q, though, should improve in that area. He can make a good first pass, though it's usually to his partner.

Does he use his size effective? Oh yes. He's a big mother****er and he knows it. He smacks around smaller players in the Q as if they are little boys, esp in the crease. It's no coincidence that VDO has cut down the GAA since he's joined.

I remember in particular a game against Quebec where he made Anthony Duclair and his line miserable, had them shut out the first two periods. This was during Duclair's ridiculous hot streak. Duclair finally scored when Boucher kept Duclair's line away from Graves. It's significant, though. Duclair is incredibly shifty and quick, it's not easy to shut him down at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad