Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Cody McLeod to a one year deal

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
On its face it doesn’t matter much. 1 year deal, teams not gonna be great, etc. But it’s more concerning on a broader level that this front office still thinks that a guy like him is valuable in today’s NHL and that you can’t get character or toughness or whatever in guys that can actually play.

I agree with that, but still, if they think it's important this could be the gateway out of that sort of thinking more so than signing Tanner Glass for 3 years.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
If the terms are more than 1 yr @ 650k, Gorton need to marched naked up 6th Avenue with the bell lady behind him crying “Shame!”

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why not? He could totally agree with the old school thinking of needing to have a gritty vet who will drop the gloves in the lineup to protect the kids.

Because it's a ridiculous assumption to jump to. Cody McLeod is not going to change the way he thinks about coaching, come on. It's more likely that he's eating nachos in a suite for 90% of the season than it is that what you're saying comes to roost.

This FO just booted a bunch of people who were much better players and much more respected. If he isn't one of the best 12 healthy forwards, he won't play.

Reactions: LGR92

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
As long as he is signed for 1 year at or under the max contract that can be buried I couldn't care less. For that matter, I hope he gets the max contract that can be buried and then they just send him to the AHL to be a veteran 4th liner down there

Reactions: Off Sides

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
As I said in the other thread--I don't care if we sign a guy who is bad to a one-year deal. But McLeod is bad in the wrong way, in that he has no NHL skills. Some random fourth line plug that sucks but hustles and is a locker room guy would have been fine. A dude who does everything terrible and isn't on the ice to use his one "skill" is completely ****ing worthless.

I actually think that may be a good thing, if they signed a tougher guy who had some level of skill they may continue to search for that magic combination every single year and over pay for it.

McLeod may finally be the way out, at some point he may not even play, if the Rangers at that point are showing a backbone... I mean showing a culture shift without him dressing, maybe the search for annual 4th line tough guy finally ends.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I don't want prospects on the 4th line. With McLeod, this is basically our team:

Kreider-Zib-Lias
Spooner-Hayes-Zucc
Buch-Namestnikov-Fast
Vesey-Beleskey-McLeod
Holland

Lias with Zib because I say so :laugh:
2nd line has 3 passers. Not sure haha. Needs a shooter
Buch with fellow Russian Namestnikov and Fast who is responsible defensively
4th line with depth players

If a prospect like Chytil, Howden, Lettieri or Ronning earns a spot, they can waive and demote McLeod and/or Holland (best name ever on a Rangers jersey FYI)

I can't see any positive reason for having Vesey on the 4th line if we're trying to develop him into a 45 point board work middle 6 player. McLeod will generate nothing in the offensive zone. Unless we're committed to having an albatross 4th line with all terrible players that figure into none of our plans, then someone is going to get saddled with McLeod on their line. The last 4-5 years of having Glass et al., our 4th line has been inconsistent and offensively impotent. This is not any kind of help at all, the fact that management thinks adding toughness if McLeod is even capable of catching up to a guy on the ice to initiate a fight, will help the short or long term future of the team.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I wonder what Quinn will do with him. Literally have zero idea.

This is the weird thing about having a new coach.

Reactions: Boruto

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We know they were in on Reaves.

The only way I can justify this (and by no means am I in love with it, just trying to somewhat justify it) is if they wanted a guy like this on a single year deal, didn't want to overpay or pay much for a guy like this, and are totally fine with him playing in the AHL most of the season as a good organizational depth guy.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
lmao, this is probably in direct response of having to play Lou's GI Joe Islanders 6 times a year. That's my best theory. Sign him and throw him into games against the Islanders and maybe 1 or 2 other teams in the league that have nothing better to do than be tough to sell tickets.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's the little things like this that really diminish the confidence I have in the brains behind the running of this organization.

Death by a thousand cuts to the credibility of our mindtrust.
This is the perfect summation of how I feel as well. It's these little moves that add up and just makes me question what this FO really is thinking. In a vacuum re-signing McLeod isn't a big deal, but it's just another small move that makes you scratch your head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad