Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign C Chris Mueller

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMonkey*

Sound the alarm?

The Rangers let Boyle walk. They needed to replace his versatility. They signed a guy that Gorton labels as versatile.

Dismiss the signing as "AHL" fodder all you want, he will be competing for a spot in camp.

They didn't want to commit to long-term and not a lot of money on the 4th line.

Mueller has the potential to be a value player.

Don't agree, great for you. And have fun going through life with your **** attitude.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Sound the alarm?

The Rangers let Boyle walk. They needed to replace his versatility. They signed a guy that Gorton labels as versatile.

Dismiss the signing as "AHL" fodder all you want, he will be competing for a spot in camp.

Don't agree, great for you. And have fun going through life with your **** attitude.

Okay, fine. Let's take a bet. If Chris Mueller is in the Rangers' lineup on opening night I will leave HFBoards forever. If he isn't, you will make a post in this thread saying that you were wrong and that, in the future, you won't jump to ridiculous conclusions like this in the future. Deal?

SupersonicMonkey*

Okay, fine. Let's take a bet. If Chris Mueller is in the Rangers' lineup on opening night I will leave HFBoards forever. If he isn't, you will make a post in this thread saying that you were wrong and that, in the future, you won't jump to ridiculous conclusions like this in the future. Deal?

Ridiculous conclusions?

Because it's impossible that a guy they just signed because of his versatility, ability to take faceoffs, play every forward position, kill penalties, won't be given a chance to fit on the 4th line?

It's a value signing.

I don't care what his age is or where he came from, if he can play and contribute.

I'm supposed to make a public address announcement because a guy you don't want on the roster might be?

Who do you think you are making ultimatums?

SupersonicMonkey*

Rangers needed to bring someone in that could potentially fill Boyle's role, on a small contract. They needed a guy who can win faceoffs, kill penalties, and if he can skate a regular shift and simply provide some energy on the forecheck, then he could fit the role.

What the reason for outrage is, i don't know.

The RFAs need to be retained. There may be minimal cap space left over.

I talked earlier in the summer about finding value. Well, this could be value.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL

Why don't you just leave anyway with that kind of **** attitude

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Rangers needed to bring someone in that could potentially fill Boyle's role, on a small contract. They needed a guy who can win faceoffs, kill penalties, and if he can skate a regular shift and simply provide some energy on the forecheck, then he could fit the role.

What the reason for outrage is, i don't know.

The RFAs need to be retained. There may be minimal cap space left over.

I talked earlier in the summer about finding value. Well, this could be value.

Who ever said anything about him being given a chance? You said, definitively, that this is "Brian Boyle's replacement." Not that he will be given a chance to win a roster spot. That this is specifically the guy the Rangers signed to replace Brian Boyle. Backtracking? Good move.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sound the alarm?

Everyone "competes" for a spot in camp. Some guys have a realistic shot; others, not so much. I think Mueller is clearly in the latter group, unless he has suddenly become a bona fide NHL player out of nowhere.

You said he's Brian Boyle's replacement. There's a small chance that could happen, sure, but I think it's incredibly unlikely that the organization is expecting that to happen. Mueller just isn't an NHL player.

SupersonicMonkey*

He would fill the role Boyle played. Yeah, his replacement.

Never said he would be as good as him.

Backtrack? No.

SupersonicMonkey*

Everyone "competes" for a spot in camp. Some guys have a realistic shot; others, not so much. I think Mueller is clearly in the latter group, unless he has suddenly become a bona fide NHL player out of nowhere.

You said he's Brian Boyle's replacement. There's a small chance that could happen, sure, but I think it's incredibly unlikely that the organization is expecting that to happen. Mueller just isn't an NHL player.

He isn't?

Unless a trade happens, i wouldn't hold my breath for better options on the 4th line after the RFAs are signed. The guys who were signed on Monday, are pretty much the guys who are competing for the roster spots in camp.

What and who are you holding out hope for?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Chris Mueller is 28 years old. The chances of him being anything other than what he's already been in his career are exceedingly slim. That is a very good AHLer whose skills don't translate to the NHL game. He wouldn't be the first one and he definitely won't be the last.

SupersonicMonkey*

...no, he's not.

?

We will see what happens in camp.

He played for Dallas in the playoffs and won 53 percent of his faceoffs.

And in response to his age, that's all well and good, but it doesn't matter how old he is, if he can show he can play he will. It wouldn't be the first time a guy gets a later shot and and it wouldn't be the last.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We will see what happens in camp.

He played for Dallas in the playoffs and won 53 percent of his faceoffs.

And in response to his age, that's all well and good, but it doesn't matter how old he is, if he can show he can play he will. It wouldn't be the first time a guy gets a later shot and and it wouldn't be the last.

I didn't bring up his age to indicate whether or not he gets a shot. I brought it up because 28 year olds don't have a tendency to suddenly become worthy of NHL playing time. It happens, but it's rare... thus the phrase "exceedingly slim." I'm sure the Rangers coaching staff is keeping an open mind, on everyone really, since that is their job. I don't think their expectation is that he will make the roster.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He isn't?

Unless a trade happens, i wouldn't hold my breath for better options on the 4th line after the RFAs are signed. The guys who were signed on Monday, are pretty much the guys who are competing for the roster spots in camp.

What and who are you holding out hope for?

I'm not holding out hope for anyone in particular. I haven't even looked to see who else is available, so I really don't know.

Brian Boyle was an excellent fourth line player. We don't have anyone in the system that's an obvious replacement for him. You've got a guy like Oscar Lindberg, who has excellent defensive skills, that may eventually be able to serve in a similar role. He's obviously unproven though. Beyond that, there aren't any obvious candidates.

I don't mean to crap on Mueller. I'm glad we brought him in, as if nothing else he'll be a tremendous help for Hartford. The reality of his situation though is that he's 28 and not even an NHL role player, and the chances of him suddenly becoming an NHL contributor are slim.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I didn't bring up his age to indicate whether or not he gets a shot. I brought it up because 28 year olds don't have a tendency to suddenly become worthy of NHL playing time. It happens, but it's rare... thus the phrase "exceedingly slim." I'm sure the Rangers coaching staff is keeping an open mind, on everyone really, since that is their job. I don't think their expectation is that he will make the roster.

That's pretty much my point as well. He'll be given a cursory chance like everyone else on the fringes, but I find it incredibly doubtful the Rangers are exepcting--or even hoping--that he suddenly becomes an NHL player.

SupersonicMonkey*

The Rangers have about 14 million to pay Brassard, Zuccarello, Kreider, and John Moore.

Assume they will have around 2 million to play with after they are signed. They need to leave some cap space open for manuverability.

Again, unless a guy hits waivers or there is a trade, I am operating with the thought that these are the guys heading into September.

Who do you think is going to take that RW spot on the 4th line? Fast? Lindberg? Carcillo isn't signed, and you can't assume he will be. Haggerty?

Tanner Glass wasn't signed to a 3 year deal to not be given a spot on the roster in October.

As of right now the options for the other wing position are Mueller and Fast.

Fast is not ready for the responsibility yet. He is OK. He should be in Hartford developing his offense a little.

In the meantime, they can allow a veteran Pro player with some NHL experience and good on faceoffs, to play on Dominic Moore's side. There are worse options. And again if he shows he can play, he can add value to a cap strapped roster.

We will see what happens.

SupersonicMonkey*

Yeah, but the age was brought up and it doesn't matter in this instance.

There is no one else really ready for a regular shift.

We don't know if anyone else will be or can be added.

I'm not talking about hypotheticals. These are the guys on the roster.

If I am not allowed to bring up Dan Boyle's age as a concern, considering those who watch him every game say he is in decline and needs a sheltered role, then I don't see how it is fair to bring up a guy who is 28. Apparently the Rangers brass isn't looking at age as a qualification. They are looking at what roles a guy can play.

Before July 1, Gorton and Sather stated they are going to be looking at guys who fit a role, know their role. Value.

I mentioned a week or so ago how they need to find a couple of guys who would be "outcast" or overlooked, to fill a couple of spots. That can fit a role, stay with in it.

Mueller, Kostka, Hunwick are those guys.

If two of the three are on the roster, would you really be as surprised as you are leading on?

One of Kostka and Hunwick will be the 7th defenseman in October. Or, do i need to recieve ultimatums and to be preparing public speeches for that one too?

SupersonicMonkey*

If this guy comes into camp and shows the little things they are looking for out of the 4th line; skate a regular shift, kill penalties, win the odd faceoffs that Moore can't take for whatever reason as things happen in a game. I really don't see how they cut him, based on him not having a longer track record in the NHL as some others.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, if you don't buy that his age is an indication that he isn't likely to suddenly become an NHL player, then I'm not sure what to tell you. It's like you took a stance on this and now have made it this campaign to get someone to admit you're onto something. Who said you aren't allowed to bring up Boyle's age? How much he has left in the tank is definitely a concern.

Kostka, by the way, is a guy who made a huge leap at age 27... into a serviceable 7D. He's a pretty rare case. Besides, if you were saying Mueller is going to be with the team as a 13F, I'd be more likely to buy that as a stronger possibility. You're talking about him taking a regular shift... playing 10 minutes per night at even strength. That is just a slim possibility.

Your claim that "no one else is ready," is a little absurd. There's just as much to indicate (and actually more) that Lindberg or Fast are ready for NHL shifts. Hell, add Kristo and Hrivik to that list. Why? Because they all have the likelihood of growth. Mueller's likelihood of growth is practically nil.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
It's pretty simple. He is a viable option to play IF none of the kids show they're ready. All things being equal, however, I'm pretty sure that the brass would rather have one of the kids force his way on to the roster so that Mueller can go down to the AHL team and provide leadership and scoring. He's this year's Newbury.

Something to consider about these depth signings: all of Hunwick, Kostka, Kampfer*, Bourque*, Dejardins* and Mueller** are signed to contracts that pay them six figures in the AHL - some are one-way minimum, some are two-way with high AHL salaries - while still being buriable with no impact on the cap. They all result in the player getting paid well, even in the minors. My guess is management wants them down there, particularly the guys on two-way contracts (note that Mueller is reportedly one of these).

*2-way deal as per CapGeek.
**not yet reported in CapGeek, but press reports indicate a 2-way deal.

SupersonicMonkey*

And thats it. I made my simple point about the guy and potential for it to be a value pick up, and yes, i believe he will end up on the roster in October filling that defensive role Boyle filled. Clearly never said as well as him.

Done with the conversation about Mueller for now. September will come and we will see what conversations need to be made then.

SupersonicMonkey*

It's pretty simple. He is a viable option to play IF none of the kids show they're ready. All things being equal, however, I'm pretty sure that the brass would rather have one of the kids force his way on to the roster so that Mueller can go down to the AHL team and provide leadership and scoring. He's this year's Newbury.

Something to consider about these depth signings: all of Hunwick, Kostka, Kampfer*, Bourque*, Dejardins* and Mueller** are signed to contracts that pay them six figures in the AHL - some are one-way minimum, some are two-way with high AHL salaries - while still being buriable with no impact on the cap. They all result in the player getting paid well, even in the minors. My guess is management wants them down there, particularly the guys on two-way contracts (note that Mueller is reportedly one of these).

*2-way deal as per CapGeek.
**not yet reported in CapGeek, but press reports indicate a 2-way deal.

Last response on this.

First of all, to the other poster. I don't post **** for you or anyone else to admit to anything. I simply post what ever is on my mind at the time. And in some cases, vent frustration like everyother fan.

YOU are the one creating something more than what my original post was.

Kompfer doesn't have a chance unless there are several injuries on the right side.

Bourque was signed to play with his brother and provide leadership in the AHL.

Kostka and Hunwick were 1000000% signed to compete against eachother for the 7th spot on the roster. You think the organization will have Conor Allen rot in the press box?

Mueller has little to no competition as it currently stands, for a spot on the 4th line. If they bring in another guy, good. Until then i'm not going to assume there will be. Fast and Kristo are his competition right now.

Lindberg is a center. Not a winger. And they won't have him on the roster playing out of position when he can be developing in Hartford.

Dejardins is a goaltender. I don't see the point in even mentioning his name.

Salary cap. RFAs. Value acquisitions for depth.

I'll leave it at that.

SupersonicMonkey*

Sorry, also forgot to mention after the RFAs, they need to find another LW to play in the top 9. If its a center and Miller moves to the wing, it'll be more expensive.

So that 2 million in cap space i mentioned, cut it in half, at least.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
If this guy comes into camp and shows the little things they are looking for out of the 4th line; skate a regular shift, kill penalties, win the odd faceoffs that Moore can't take for whatever reason as things happen in a game. I really don't see how they cut him, based on him not having a longer track record in the NHL as some others.

Who was ever arguing against this? I'm sure if Chris Mueller shows during training camp and the pre-season that he is capable of playing 4th line minutes and then he will earn the spot. That's not what you said. What you said is that the New York Rangers specifically signed Chris Mueller as the guy who will be taking over Brian Boyle's spot. Not that he will be given a chance - like literally everyone else in training camp - to win a roster spot. That the Rangers specifically hand-picked him on July 1st as Brian Boyle's replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA