Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign C Chris Mueller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

My gut tells me that this guy is who they have slotted for a 4th line wing role as a utility player. Good for faceoffs and PK. All of the other signings point to stop gaps in case a kid doesn't make it or AHL depth.

Frankly I'm a little disappointed that a top 9 RH forward hasn't been acquired, but Mueller will likely be the rangers 4th line wing.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Thought you were done with this thread. ;)

That's not how it was reported initially, but I trust CapGeek on these things. Doesn't change the fact that his contract pays him well in the NHL or the AHL and is 100% buriable. He may make the team on the 4th line (and hey, great for him if he does), but I still think he winds up in the AHL providing that Newbury vet AHL all star presence. Especially since I don't think the Rangers are done shaping the NHL roster. We shall see.

SupersonicMonkey*

Thought you were done with this thread. ;)

That's not how it was reported initially, but I trust CapGeek on these things. Doesn't change the fact that his contract pays him well in the NHL or the AHL and is 100% buriable. He may make the team on the 4th line (and hey, great for him if he does), but I still think he winds up in the AHL providing that Newbury vet AHL all star presence. Especially since I don't think the Rangers are done shaping the NHL roster. We shall see.

It was relavent news, so i posted it where it belongs.

I fear the Rangers may be strapped to much to really do anything else.

Like Mikos said, 4th line wing, i think we could do worse. A lot worse.

Still need another top 9 forward. I'm very interested in where they will look.

C: Stepan, Brassard, Miller, Moore
LW: Kreider, Hagelin, Glass
RW: Nash, St. Louis, Zuccarello, Mueller

Missing a LW.

14 m in cap space. I figure there will be approx. 2 mil after the RFAs are signed. LW cost 1-1.5, leaves us 500K-1 million in cap space for manuverability during the season.

EDIT:
Also need a 13th forward. So, that will cost at least 600K.

Leaves us less than 1m to operate with during the season.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
There are worst 4th liners in the league than Mueller. In his call-ups, he's shown the ability to make things happen offensively (just been a bit snake-bitten) and been adequate in other areas.

MetalGodAOD*

There are worst 4th liners in the league than Mueller. In his call-ups, he's shown the ability to make things happen offensively (just been a bit snake-bitten) and been adequate in other areas.

Curious what makes you say that? I watched every Dallas game last year and he was a total non-factor the games he played, including the playoffs.

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
This reminds me of the Kris Newbury acquisition 4 years ago - similar production and roles except that Mueller does not fight like Newbury. It's a nice depth signing, but let's not get too excited.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Curious what makes you say that? I watched every Dallas game last year and he was a total non-factor the games he played, including the playoffs.

I admittedly didin't see much or any of him last year that I recall, but I do watch a lot of Nashville due to certain other players they have (Wilson, Smith, revolving etc door). Anyway, I thought he generated a lot of chances from a 4th line action and was in the thick of things when his line was on the ice. And also always wondered with his minor league production why he didn't get more than 4th line/bare minimum ice-time.

At least, a better version of Ferriero, I'll go with that.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I admittedly didin't see much or any of him last year that I recall, but I do watch a lot of Nashville due to certain other players they have (Wilson, Smith, revolving etc door). Anyway, I thought he generated a lot of chances from a 4th line action and was in the thick of things when his line was on the ice. And also always wondered with his minor league production why he didn't get more than 4th line/bare minimum ice-time.

At least, a better version of Ferriero, I'll go with that.

Enjoyed Ferriero in his brief time here so I'll take that as a good thing.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Appreciate the update. I saw a couple of Nashville games a couple of years ago with him and a few playoff AHL games this year, but never paid attention to him.

Sounds like he might be a 4th line right wing option that can take draws and PK, which is exactly what the Rangers need from that slot by having a 2nd RH faceoff option. I was hoping Joe Vitale would be that signing this season, but if Meuller can get the job done, I have no problems with it.

Is he a NHL level skater and checker?

Why hasn't he cracked the NHL full time? Was it because he was a scorer in the minors and that didn't translate?

In other words, does he have a two way game to be a bottom line NHL player on a winning team?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
This is exactly what I wrote in the Pack thread we need. An AHL All Star center was just what the doctor ordered. Great signing for those of us who watch Hartford.

Random Bluenote:
Mueller's former teammates include Jamie Lundmark, Hugh Jessiman and TJ Hensick.

Thesensation19*

You guys really Amp'd me up for this signing.
I like what he brings. At the very worst he is a AHL bust. It would suck for the Wolfpack but for the Rangers it brings no harm. At its best he can be a surprising bottom 2 center. Yet he is likely to probably be a depth center playing taxi squad and I can live with that because it is cheap and it will help our developmental team in many ways. Wolf Pack needs a boost.

His faceoffs dont look all that bad either. From a small amount of research on him, hes bordering 50% lifetime in the NHL but recently has improved. Not much of a study on it since he hardly takes many but its nice to see their is hope to boost our FOs.

I like the intangibles he might bring.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
Stepan is shelved and even then Mueller couldn't make the team as even a healthy scratch. Boyle replacement my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad