Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Boo Nieves

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I agree, I don't see anything controversial either --- just very, highly unlikely.

I mean in the grand scheme of things, anything is possible --- there's just varying degrees of it happening.

Could a guy who scores 28 goals over an entire four year college career put up 20 goals in the NHL? In theory, yes.

What are the odds of said player putting up 20 goals at the NHL level? Maybe 1 or 2 percent?

My concern, if we even want to call it that, is that we associate upside with offense. That, on some level, the level of success we hope for with Nieves (and Fogarty) is tied to goal production or offense.

In both their cases, I just don't think that's a fair or "reasonable" expectation --- it's also not really based on any kind of precedent.

If history is any kind of judge, and Nieves progresses, and we're fortunate, 10 goals in 35 NCAA games might translate to about 10 in 82 NHL games. That'd be fantastic.

I'd be hard pressed to find a 10 goal scoring forward at the college level, who suddently doubled their totals at the NHL level --- even with the longer schedule.

Again, Jon called him a potential 15/20 guy, which implies 15 goals and 20 assists--not 20 goals. Really though, it's splitting hairs at this point. I'd say he's more like a 10/25 guy since he refuses to shoot, but the fact remains that 35-point upside seems reasonable.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Again, Jon called him a potential 15/20 guy, which implies 15 goals and 20 assists--not 20 goals. Really though, it's splitting hairs at this point. I'd say he's more like a 10/25 guy since he refuses to shoot, but the fact remains that 35-point upside seems reasonable.

I always expected Nieves to be a 3rd line winger and Fogarty to be a 4th line center similar to Glendening. I hope they both get that far

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Fair enough, though I'd venture something a little lower. I'll be pretty happy if he develops into a fourth liner who nets 10 goals and 25 points.

But to even get there he's got some serious work to do on the offensive side of things. What offense he did generate this past season was because he was older and faster than a lot of his competition, he's not going to necessarily have that much luxury going forward.

Regardless of the role he played, we're still talking about a kid whose best college season was 10 goals....10. Coming off seasons 8, 3 and 7. Expecting him to effectively DOUBLE his collegiate average still remains relatively unchartered waters.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i see boo being a taller, not as fast but better hands carl hagelin.

same school. same coaching. same type of 4 yr player. hell be a defensive type guy in the pros who can contribute in all 3 zones. not physical like hags but responsible and pretty intuitive in the defensive zone. neither guy has a great shot but boo can make plays better than hags can. hell be mostly a perimeter player who prefers stick checking over finishing checks. his wheels will allow him to play up ice and get back as well. i dont see him as being a goal scorer.

hell make a career being that type of player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i see boo being a taller, not as fast but better hands carl hagelin.

same school. same coaching. same type of 4 yr player. hell be a defensive type guy in the pros who can contribute in all 3 zones. not physical like hags but responsible and pretty intuitive in the defensive zone. neither guy has a great shot but boo can make plays better than hags can. hell be mostly a perimeter player who prefers stick checking over finishing checks. his wheels will allow him to play up ice and get back as well. i dont see him as being a goal scorer.

hell make a career being that type of player.

I can see that, I think Nieves will lean a bit heavier on the assists if he develops.

Hagelin was/is/probably will be a better goal scorer than Nieves. Hagelin scored 18 goals his senior year. Nieves posted 28 for his entire college career and broke double digits exactly once. Hagelin's lowest scoring year, as freshman, was still better than Nieves highest as a senior.

Hagelin's a prime example of a guy whose goal/point levels look pretty similar to his totals in college (albeit with double the number of games played). But you'll notice they didn't really double (which is what it woul take for Nieves to get closer to the 15 goal level). IF we can get the same kind of transition from Nieves, that would look like 10 goals, 25-30 points, somewhere in there. That's very good.

With that said, Nieves has certain skills that could serve him well. Nieves is bigger, stronger, and possiblly better at creating plays than Hagelin was at the same stage of development. I don't think his offensive ceiling is quite as high as Hagelin's was, but I think he has the potential to contibute.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I can see that, I think Nieves will lean a bit heavier on the assists if he develops.

Hagelin was/is/probably will be a better goal scorer than Nieves. Hagelin scored 18 goals his senior year. Nieves posted 28 for his entire college career and broke double digits exactly once. Hagelin's lowest scoring year, as freshman, was still better than Nieves highest as a senior.

Hagelin's a prime example of a guy whose goal/point levels look pretty similar to his totals in college (albeit with double the number of games played). But you'll notice they didn't really double (which is what it woul take for Nieves to get closer to the 15 goal level). IF we can get the same kind of transition from Nieves, that would look like 10 goals, 25-30 points, somewhere in there. That's very good.

With that said, Nieves has certain skills that could serve him well. Nieves is bigger, stronger, and possiblly better at creating plays than Hagelin was at the same stage of development. I don't think his offensive ceiling is quite as high as Hagelin's was, but I think he has the potential to contibute.

more so if he plays with talent.

less so if he's in a checking role.

either way, he adds to the prospect pool in hartford and adding guys who can skate and have some offensive upside with some size will make the pool deeper.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
more so if he plays with talent.

less so if he's in a checking role.

either way, he adds to the prospect pool in hartford and adding guys who can skate and have some offensive upside with some size will make the pool deeper.

Agree there. Replace guys who we are sure won't make it (St. Croix, Nicholls etc) with guys who might still make it (Nieves, Fogarty)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
You never, of course, who'll get contracts because a couple of years ago we were sure Jason Missiaen won't get a second NHL contract, and then he did (we were right, Rangers front office wrong). However, it is extremely likely that none of these are resigned:

1. Desjardins
2. Summers
3. Nicholls
4. St. Croix
5. Noreau
6. Kantor

It's also possible that the following don't get re-signed:

1. McCarthy
2. Bodie
3. Hughes
(Personally, I'd only sign Hughes.)

Megna, Gibbons, Adam, Lindblad, Paille will either be re-signed or replaced other vets on two-way contracts. (Personally, I'd re-sign Megna, dump the others for better vets.)

It's also possible Hrivik makes the NHL and takes a spot from someone like Moore, freeing up another contract. That leaves 6-10 spots (I'm assuming the 5 vets above are kept or replaced). Fogarty, Nieves, Halvy get 3 of them. Gropp may take one spot or stay for an overager season.

In all, we're talking about 2-7 spots plus I think we already had a spot open, so that's 3-8 spots available to sign UDFAs and AHL vets.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You never, of course, who'll get contracts because a couple of years ago we were sure Jason Missiaen won't get a second NHL contract, and then he did (we were right, Rangers front office wrong). However, it is extremely likely that none of these are resigned:

1. Desjardins
2. Summers
3. Nicholls
4. St. Croix
5. Noreau
6. Kantor

1. McCarthy
2. Bodie
3. Hughes

Megna, Gibbons, Adam, Lindblad, Paille will either be re-signed or replaced other vets on two-way contracts. (Personally, I'd re-sign Megna, dump the others for better vets.)

It's also possible Hrivik makes the NHL and takes a spot from someone like Moore, freeing up another contract. That leaves 6-10 spots (I'm assuming the 5 vets above are kept or replaced). Fogarty, Nieves, Halvy get 3 of them. Gropp may take one spot or stay for an overager season.

In all, we're talking about 2-7 spots plus I think we already had a spot open, so that's 3-8 spots available to sign UDFAs and AHL vets.

They won't drop Bodie. Gorton is high on him
I'd also keep both Megna (like you said) as well as Gibbons.

Agree with the rest of your post though. Would love to see Glass sent away this offseason and Hrivik pulled up permanently

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

1. Desjardins
2. Summers
3. Nicholls
4. St. Croix
5. Noreau
6. Kantor

1. McCarthy
2. Bodie
3. Hughes

I'd keep Bodie. He's become a pretty solid AHL player. McCarthy on an AHL deal. He competes hard. I'd take Hughes on an AHL deal as well.

I'd hold onto Megna. The rest can take a hike. This has been the most disappointing batch of veterans in Hartford for quite some time.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'd keep Bodie. He's become a pretty solid AHL player. McCarthy on an AHL deal. He competes hard. I'd take Hughes on an AHL deal as well.

I'd hold onto Megna. The rest can take a hike. This has been the most disappointing batch of veterans in Hartford for quite some time.

I'd hold onto Bodie too. Considering our D depth, and with Skjei likely coming up next season, it'll be Bodie and Graves next on the list, IMO. Possibly Bodie before Graves, just due to experience and whatnot. Depends on what they want to bring up, I guess.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

I was talking about NHL contracts. I'm ok with McCarthy on an AHL deal, but it still opens an NHL spot. I agree to keep Megna and dump Gibbons, Adam, Lindblad, though maybe keep Paille. Either way, we'd need to replace all 5 of them with similar AHL vets if we don't keep them, particularly if Hrivik moves up to the NHL.

I don't want Bodie. He's not the worst thing out there as far as AHLers go, but he can't play in the NHL given his size and even more his defense. Everyone focuses on his physical weakness, but his defense is even more awful. If we're giving out NHL contracts, I'd rather give it to someone who can step in if a rash of blue line injuries hit, as they did a year ago. He's already 26 and has shown little to no improvement from last season, so chances are his development is over.

I actually like Hughes over Bodie. He's nowhere near as mobile, but that's not his game. He's tough, strong, good defensively. Mobility is the reason he's not in the NHL, but he's 2 years younger than Bodie so he may yet improve enough to be at least a useful NHL/AHL tweener, maybe a cheap, big 6/7 defenseman.

Also, Bodie is LD and we have McDonagh, Staal, hopefully Yandle, Skjei, Graves. That's 4 or 5 guys for 3 NHL spots. Hughes is an RD and on the right side, we have Girardi and Klein, both turning 32 this year, Boyle will be gone in the summer, and McIlrath is an untested rookie. So that's 2 aging defensemen and a rookie. The other prospects are all lower-tier: Zborovsky, Calle and Mantha. Hughes is also a lower-tier guy, but when you have such lack of RDs, we keep whatever assets you have even if the kid has a ceiling of only a 6/7 defenseman.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Okay yeah NHL contract, I'd also likely pass on Bodie. You can find someone for the minimum with NHL experience instead of Bodie.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

1. Desjardins
2. Summers
3. Nicholls
4. St. Croix
5. Noreau
6. Kantor

1. McCarthy
2. Bodie
3. Hughes

Agreed with the 5 up top not getting contracts, although Summers would/should consider getting some reporting career going after hockey. Guy is a riot when he has a mic in his hand. See for yourself....

As for Bodie, I think NYR holds onto him for one more year. Think he has a small chance to be called up for PP purposes, but he isn't that big of a liability when paired with a good defensive d-man. Think Bodie re-ups one more year.

I like Hughes, think he should also be resigned. Still relatively young, too.

The only vet that I would resign on the forward core, is Megna. Think he gets a better contract somewhere else, though. Would be a shame to let him go, he can play in the NHL. Luckily for NYR, he is an RFA at seasons end. Helps in negotiations.

Hrivik will resign or go to Europe. He too is an RFA at seasons end.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... The only vet that I would resign on the forward core, is Megna. Think he gets a better contract somewhere else, though. Would be a shame to let him go, he can play in the NHL. Luckily for NYR, he is an RFA at seasons end. Helps in negotiations....

I'd like Bodie, Hughes and Hrivik to stick around, we'll see...

i think Megna can walk as Group VI

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

Group 6 (Unrestricted) Free Agents
Any player 25 or older with at least three professional seasons who has not played in at least 80 NHL games (28 for goalies) becomes a UFA at the end of his contract

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123364
Jayson Megna
Born Feb 1 1990

2012-13 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins AHL 56 5 7 12 28
2013-14 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins AHL 25 9 6 15 4
2013-14 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 36 5 4 9 6 1
2014-15 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton AHL 63 26 13 39 40 18
2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 12 0 1 1 14 -2
2015-16 New York Rangers* NHL 6 1 1 2 2 -1
2015-16 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 60 12 22 34 18 2
NHL Totals 54 6 6 12 22 2

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'd like Bodie, Hughes and Hrivik to stick around, we'll see...

i think Megna can walk as Group VI

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2013/6/21/4436012/getting-to-know-the-cba-episode-3-free-agency

Group 6 (Unrestricted) Free Agents
Any player 25 or older with at least three professional seasons who has not played in at least 80 NHL games (28 for goalies) becomes a UFA at the end of his contract

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123364
Jayson Megna
Born Feb 1 1990

2012-13 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins AHL 56 5 7 12 28
2013-14 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins AHL 25 9 6 15 4
2013-14 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 36 5 4 9 6 1
2014-15 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton AHL 63 26 13 39 40 18
2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 12 0 1 1 14 -2
2015-16 New York Rangers* NHL 6 1 1 2 2 -1
2015-16 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 60 12 22 34 18 2
NHL Totals 54 6 6 12 22 2

Agreed on the bolded. I said along with resigning Megna, I would think and want the Rangers to resign Hughes and Hrivik. Think that NYR would also resign Bodie.

According to generalfanager, Megna is an RFA.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/new-york-rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad