Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Boo Nieves

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nieves' potential is somewhat similar to Fogarty in the sense that if he develops, he could be a useful fourth liner.

He's got dangerous speed to go along with a frame that's only going to get bigger/stronger, but the hands and offensive vision just aren't there at a higher level.

The hope would be that he can develop into a Freddy Sjostrom type. If he can - that's a big plus.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hopefully some pro coaching can get him to find a role as a player. That unfortunate case where he seems far more comfortable at center, but doesn't have the defensive game to play the pivot as a pro.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Best case is that he carves out a career as a good bottom six forward that can kill penalties. Worst case is an AHL'er that had the tools but can't get it together.

Good luck Boo

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I like him. It's a mistake to think that just because he didn't put it all together in college, he never will. Pro coaching will be good for him. As stated above, he has the size, the speed, the vision, the shot to be an NHL player. He's 22, so he has ~3 more years of development to go, one of which is regarded as prime development year (development usually slows down after 23-24, stops after 25-26).

It's not true that Boo's potential is as a 4th liner. He could easily be a quality top-9 guy.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What's the current state of Hartford's center corps? I know he was playing center for Michigan recently, but I see him as more of a winger at the next level.

One big bonus with him is that he's got some really good speed, and he can move the puck fluidly through the neutral zone. He should be able to carve out a niche somewhere with his skill set.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like him. It's a mistake to think that just because he didn't put it all together in college, he never will. Pro coaching will be good for him. As stated above, he has the size, the speed, the vision, the shot to be an NHL player. He's 22, so he has ~3 more years of development to go, one of which is regarded as prime development year (development usually slows down after 23-24, stops after 25-26).

It's not true that Boo's potential is as a 4th liner. He could easily be a quality top-9 guy.

Gotta admit - I don't see it. He just doesn't have the hands - which isn't terribly uncommon for guys with higher-end speed.

I think there's a misconception that he didn't "put it all together" in college. I think he did very well with the tools he has, I just think those tools don't include a higher scoring ability.

Speedy guys always seem to have an unfair bias against them. For starters, it's almost always assumed that speed = scoring and that's not always a fair expectation.

Adding to the challenge, when they don't put up lofty offensive numbers, there's always a perception that they're underperforming or a disappointment.

If Nieves makes it, and I wouldn't incude him in the top two tiers at this point, I can't help but think it'll be because his speed is utilized as a disrupting force --- not necessarily as a guy who generates a lot of offense.

Having said that, he could be one of those guys who really comes alive as a pro when playing with a better cast of teammates. But generally speaking, a guy whose hands aren't a strength at the lower levels usually doesn't become a scorer at the pro level.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
local cny kid from baldwinsville ny and another syracuse stars alum.

bville high school has put out some pretty decent players recently.

boo and alex tuch at bc now and former 1st rounder for minny.

when boo played junior hockey here he was just bigger, faster, stronger than most kids. he blew by dmen like they were standing still. his stick handling and shot were both among the best of any player on the ice pretty much every game i saw him play. he was a dominant player.

not the same now in college. his development stalled somewhat.

i see his top end ceiling as being a top 9 creative forward with good speed and nifty hands. he's got offensive skills and decent wheels.

his issue has always been his lack of weight and his ability to play physical and in traffic.

I'm hoping he can have a solid start in hartford. pulling for the kid from my backyard.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad