Friedman: Rangers shopping Antti Raanta

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
2 reasons:

1. Like other goalies better (either for now or in the future) - Flower; Grubauer; Pickard; Subban

2. Like another Ranger player better (my guess is Jesper Fast is in Vegas by tomorrow night).

Please god no. He and Lindberg have our best motors by far.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Vegas should take Fast.

My dont want to lose list as a NYR fan:
1.Fast
2.Grabner
3.Lindberg
4.Raanta

Raanta is easier to replace. Our goalie coach has proven that he can find and make a good backup out of pretty much any goalie in the NHL

Raanta is definitely the easiest to replace, and he's as good as gone regardless of whether Vegas takes him or not. Initially I was bummed that we wouldn't get anything for him, but honestly I'd forgo the 2nd round pick (or whatever the return would have been) if it means we get to keep Fast. I'd really hate to lose him..

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Vegas is going to be flipping goalies for assets. Patrick Sullivan calls Raanta the best available goalie and Grubauer at the bottom of the list. Not that his opinion means anything.

Vegas will build for the future to prevent being a bottom team the next 7 years. They could grab BPA from each team and have a better than expected first season in the NHL, but it'll be pretty shaky after that without good prospects.

Vegas was put with the choice of basically attempting to compete now, or attempt to have a competitive future. I think some of the players flipped with surprise some people.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why wouldn't Vegas take him?

This expansion is getting weirder and weirder.

Because they only have to take 3 goalies and have openly stated that they are drafting heavy on defense. In that scenario, its quite possible that Raanta isn't chosen. They have a number of quality goalies to pick from (Fleury, Mrazek, Grubauer, Ullmark (can clear waivers for AHL), etc.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Vegas is going to be flipping goalies for assets. Patrick Sullivan calls Raanta the best available goalie and Grubauer at the bottom of the list. Not that his opinion means anything.

Vegas will build for the future to prevent being a bottom team the next 7 years. They could grab BPA from each team and have a better than expected first season in the NHL, but it'll be pretty shaky after that without good prospects.

Vegas was put with the choice of basically attempting to compete now, or attempt to have a competitive future. I think some of the players flipped with surprise some people.

With all due respect here, and noting that backups aren't exactly chump change:

Who actually looks at any of these goalies in Vegas' pool and thinks "oh, that's a starter?" Fleury is. Raanta is. Luongo, sure, but let's be real that he's in there because Florida KNOWS he isn't being taken. Grubauer could be. Aside from that, there's a bunch of dime a dozen backups that could be had for a 5th rounder.

Why is Vegas stockpiling goalies to trade teams for low/mids, when they could be stockpiling D and trading to teams for 1sts and seconds?

I mean, if I'm Vegas...Jon Bernier is an OK goalie, but I'm thinking that Vatanen is a cornerpiece (and yes, I'm aware that there's likely a deal here, but my point stands).

If I'm Vegas, I take my minimum # of goalies. I take Fleury, I take Grubauer or Raanta, and I take two goalies who, with work, could be Grubauer/Raanta's backup one day. No more, no less.

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
Wouldn't be surprised if it's:
Fluery
Grubauer
Neuvirth

Two very reliable backups, I think Vegas takes either Grabner or Lindberg. Despite Raanta being a hot commodity and even if he does get flipped. Vegas wants to be good now and Grabner will provide the team with speed and Linberg gives them a top 9 center.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Have a feeling those 3 is what Vegas winds up with, That would be a pretty good start for McPhee.

I'd be surprised if the Jets don't have a standing offer to pay well for Raanta. I know that despite your username you're on HF Jets all the time, so you must know that the rumour is that Chevy's been interested in Raanta for years. If we could convince McPhee to take him on our behalf, I think we'd all be pretty excited for next year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I can see Vegas taking four goalies. The opportunity cost has to be taken into consideration. DRW/COL have pretty slim pickings as far as valuable exposed players go IIRC. NYR still has Lindberg, Fast and Grabner. WSH has Schmidt whose an attractive piece too, so for WSH it ultimately between Grub/Schmidt

MAF
Mrazek
Pickard
Grubauer

Would Vegas rather have Rantaa or Lindberg? They can fulfill their goalie requirements with other team's goalies (ie DRW, COL) and get a good player from NYR. The C position is extremely thin this expansion draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad