Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Senators - January 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Except for taking away the pass always being the best play on a 2 on 1, you are absolutely correct.

The best play always ends up with a puck in the back of your net.

Maybe take away the pass on your feet so you can try to pressure someone instead of sliding aimlessly and assuming two professional hockey players can't react to a lone defender on his belly.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Change the 4th line to Paille-Moore-Fast.

Sit Glass for a game, his "strong" play has worn off, he's looking more and more like the Tanner from last season.

If not then run with Glass-Moore-Fast.

However, AV thinks Fast was the only skater who brought it tonight so I guess that means he's back in the top 6.

ya, glass is just glass now, hehe.
We need changes badly, and I hope someone can step in for Glass on that 4th line.
I felt that AV responded well in end of that interview and show some frustration like the fans watching this game; `thanks I`m out of here` quote.
And sometimes a coach can`t do much when so many of your players at the same time under perform which is worrying to be honest.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah it sure was the best play there. The best play always ends up with a puck in the back of the net. Maybe take away the pass on your feet so you can try to pressure someone instead of sliding aimlessly and assuming two professional hockey players can't react to that.

You always take away the passing lane on a 2-on-1 since it prevents the opponent from getting a cross-seam shot, which are much more difficult for a goalie to stop.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
is there ever a time that hank is at fault here? great goalies win games by stopping shots like that.. look team is horse crap. but shut up or come out and blast someone.. AV sucks i called this a long time ago..he refuses to adjust

Hank has gotten a fair amount of (deserved) criticism on here for the last 2 months at least.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
You always take away the passing lane on a 2-on-1 since it prevents the opponent from getting a cross-seam shot, which are much more difficult for a goalie to stop.

Yeah, I thought Girardi played that fine. Henrik was squared up to the shooter which is what you want in that situation as opposed to him having to go cross crease to stop the shot which is much tougher.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Maybe take away the pass on your feet so you can try to pressure someone instead of sliding aimlessly and assuming two professional hockey players can't react to a lone defender on his belly.
Dude, there's plenty of times where Girardi snow angels aimlessly and it's a very bad play. This play he made in this 2-1 was not a bad one. He took the pass away and pressure Hoffman to release the puck by sliding towards him.

Hoffman beat Hank with the shot, it happens.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

That is the textbook correct way to play a 2 on 1.

Hoffman wired it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't understand anything AV says anymore. Fast did absolutely nothing. Even if AV was correct with that statement, why would you only play Fast 12 minutes if he's the only skater playing well?

Does this team have some set of super-advanced bizarro stats that we don't know about that might decipher why AV says the things he does?

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
61 would have been nice to have tonight, we have nothing in our Top 6 that teams need to pay close attention to.

13 what a careless and lazy player.

Blame 30 all you want, we scored 0 goals to support him and he made some saves in the first period that could have put us down immediately into the game.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I don't understand anything AV says anymore. Fast did absolutely nothing. Even if AV was correct with that statement, why would you only play Fast 12 minutes if he's the only skater playing well?

Does this team have some set of super-advanced bizarro stats that we don't know about that might decipher why AV says the things he does?
RightThings/60

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
xyd17.jpg

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That is the textbook correct way to play a 2 on 1.

Hoffman wired it.

Taking away the pass or taking yourself completely out of the play while doing so?

Again not blaming the loss on him
or anything I just don't see how being on your belly and therefore totally out of the play is a good idea in that situation. NHL players shooting hard at a corner isn't that rare when they have unlimited time and space. Especially a top shooter on his off wing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Nash and Yandle should both be getting an additional 3 minutes of ice time every night. Karlsson plays over half the game every other night and Yandle averages 19 minutes.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why are you benching Fast?

He's not a very good hockey player. I don't think he's the big problem with the team, but I don't think he belongs in the top 9 unless we have like 8 or 9 players out of the lineup. I'd rather put someone like Stalberg in the top 9. I think he brings more offense. On the fourth line, its a choice between Glass, Paille and Fast. Paille has been good so far, so keep him in the lineup. Glass or Fast, a choice between two bad players. Does it matter that much? Glass hasn't been that bad lately, so maybe him. I think Fast's main problem is that there isn't a big difference in quality between him and AHL players like Glass. Fast is barely an NHL level forward. What separates him from Jayson Megna? I don't think its much.

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
At least Fast was playing at the right pace. I thought Stalberg and Miller had jump too. Add Paille to the list.

That was it.

I like AVs response. That was clearly about execution, or lack thereof. On the players for not showing up. I'm glad he didn't try to chalk it up to any simple solutions or say that the effort was there.

And in context Hank hardly seemed like he was 'calling people out.' But even if he had, I don't have a problem with it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Nash and Yandle should both be getting an additional 3 minutes of ice time every night. Karlsson plays over half the game every other night and Yandle averages 19 minutes.

AV's usage of his players is baffling at times, Nash and Yandle being the prime examples.

Yandle should be getting the Brad Richards treatment and be on for the full 2 minutes every PP. Instead, McDonagh gets that usage. McDonagh has come a long way in his offensive game, but Yandle is still better.

Nash is the best forward on this team and should be used as such. There should never be a game where he isn't top 3 in ice time, especially considering he plays the PP and PK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia