Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Senators - Game 5 - May 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
"I've looked at the game in a more scientific way over the summer and I think we're going to make a few changes to our system that I think will make us a better team. We're going to rest Marc Staal more often to keep him fresh down the stretch and get our defensemen in more often. I like this group we have and the depth that Jeff has added over the summer. I'm excited to get going and start the evaluation process during camp and the games we have. I think we have a real good team this year."

Paraphrasing Alain Vigneault, September 2017.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wait, we're blaming Stepan for the GTG? Can someone inform me who Tanner Glass is guarding here when the pass goes through?

We8c44B.jpg

Yeah Stepan isn't to blame there.

The funny thing is, Glass and Stepan should have been in each other's positions respectively there. Stepan, the center and better defensive/coverage player, should have been the low forward helping out the D and picking up that 3rd guy. Glass should have been the high guy selling out and challenging for the shot block.

Glass ultimately lost his man puck watching who got a great chance from Tanners mistake. Brassard cleaning up the garbage.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
Wait, we're blaming Stepan for the GTG? Can someone inform me who Tanner Glass is guarding here when the pass goes through?

We8c44B.jpg

This X10000 - why is he on the ice in this situation...JAM?

AV would manage his personnel better spinning a top randomly.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The correct play for glass would NOT involve moving from the dead center high slot to the blue line to pressure the man without the puck or to move from the slot to pressure a man with a left handed shot on his weak side
.​

cant tell if srs but i think he means on the Rangers bench​

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I've had enough of this team. This team is not going to change its stripes. Not expecting anything on Tuesday. This has been a .500 team the past few months, so playing law of averages, they got by Montreal in 6 and thus means they're done on Tuesday. Even if they force a Gm7, it would be ugly in Ottawa.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Until proven otherwise.

The NHL playoffs are not the regular season. The only sample we have of Miller in the post season is poor. In the playoffs, you cannot wait 20+ games to get going. It's a short tournament that usually lasts no more than 20-25 games.

If he was poor next season, and had 1-2G in 10-15GP, would you continue saying "he just needs to get going in the next playoff." At what point does it go from "lets just wait" to "he is ineffective in the playoffs," because 39GP is a fair sample size in the post season for a player his age, both in a bottom-6 and top-6 role.

39 games is not a fair sample size, it never is, and just because its the playoffs doesn't make it so.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
AV and his continued loyalty and belief that the fossils on defense must play at all crucial times in close games so as to make sure they get "another kick at the can", is costing us this series. meanwhile brady and brandon sit stapled to the bench watching the inevitable.

its always the same with AV.

the tanner glass thing has worked, he's been pretty good bringing some emotion and grind to this otherwise bland group of fancy dancer (passers) and perpetual peripheral players.

but again, AV over plays his hand and naturally elevates tanner glass from part time niche player to a main street prime time actor who's on the ice too much and at the wrong time too much.

AV gonna AV

buchnevich sits in a suit watching from above while chris kreider suits up and kinda does the same thing, watch and not much else. some one needs to see if the cord from his body to his brain is unplugged cause it appears those 2 body parts do not communicate. he looks like a 6'3 225 lb pee wee who's making it up every shift.

and what up with derek stepan ? surprisingly he's found another gear slower than his other slow gear and now looks to be bringing some where close to bald beer league guy slow and maybe D3 3rd line forward who's just good enough to play college hockey but probably should be on the club team, slow. in other words, dude is slooooooowwwww and predictable. he flings muffins when ever his painfully weak shot isnt blocked, deflected or just turned the other way as a pass to the other guys.

jtmiller hasnt done anything in the playoffs and kevin hayed looks stoned and confused as usual and seems allergic to shooting the puck.

yet that 4some continues to march out there every shift and go through the motions.

cuz AV gonna keep AV'in damn it. keep Av'in over and over and over.

we can still win this series against a fairly bad sens team but for that to happen, we would need to overcome a 3-2 deficit and a coach who appears to be stubbornly clueless and bent on making sure his faves get that last "kick at the can".

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I've had enough of this team. This team is not going to change its stripes. Not expecting anything on Tuesday. This has been a .500 team the past few months, so playing law of averages, they got by Montreal in 6 and thus means they're done on Tuesday. Even if they force a Gm7, it would be ugly in Ottawa.

I disagree. Sports team go on streaks, so what really is a decent determination of overall team success is their overall record.

For example, the Rangers were on fire early, and they coasted a bit late. Neither of those streaks really exemplified the summary of the Rangers as a whole.

Moreover, the "law of averages" is a fallacy because playing .500 in one stretch does not determine .500 stretch.

Furthermore, playoffs add other variables such as playing through injuries and just playing the same team for a long stretch.

I still think the Rangers can take it in 7.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
.500 teams are defined by inconsistency, which is what this team is. Zucc's quotes, along the lines of him bringing a sense of desperation every game, are telling and seems to be implying not everyone is bringing it every night. And this problem has been there during the season. They don't seem desperate enough in the final minutes of games.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That Cyrgalis article was straight fire and I love it. Also, whoever wrote the headline is amazing.

Its poorly written though. I think you can come up with a good case to criticize nearly everyone on the team right now, but his whole argument was that Staal was on the ice for the game tying goal and Girardi was on the ice for the game winning goal. Then he admitted that they might've not been to blame for the goals being scored, but wanted us to accept those examples as valid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

We8c44B.jpg

That goal was Glass's fault. Somehow everyone is blaming Staal for it because he was near the net. I don't get it.

There's things to blame Staal for, that goal was not his fault.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
39 games is not a fair sample size, it never is, and just because its the playoffs doesn't make it so.

And he's likely injured. I don't have any definite proof, but I would be shocked if he doesn't have a hand injury. Watch him play, you can tell he's nursing an injury.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Cyrgalis article is the best thing he has done since Dan Boyle cursed him out

I'm glad AV is getting shredded in the media.

Idiot is going to lose the series due to his decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad