Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Senators - Game 5 - May 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Is this a bad time for me to say that I think Glass has been great?

Yes, he had -3 last game, but I don`t blame Glass, but the coach for dubious decisions in the last minutes of hockey games in playoffs this year.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Yes he had -3 last game, but I don`t blame Glass, but the coach for dubious decisions in the last minutes of hockey games in playoffs this year.

I agree. He's what this team needs as far as the role that he plays. Too bad mental collapses are destroying us. Most of these players have the mental fragility of a 12 year old.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I think Chris Neil provided much more value than Glass has in most games.

And the reason is simply because he played a total of 2 minutes so Boucher spread the ice time around to the 11 better forwards instead of wasting it on a scrub.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
If you're gonna use his career sample size, why not sit Nash too then?

Okay. Let's look at the most recent sample size.

JT Miller

11GP 0G 3A 3PTS

Rick Nash
11GP 3G 2A 5PTS

Let's look at the last three years of recent playoff performance

JT Miller
35GP 1G 13A 14PTS

Rick Nash
35GP 10G 13A 23PTS

Rick Nash at his worst was better than JT Miller in the post season.

Miller is defined as "ineffective" in the post season. The fact that people are defending a guy, who has scored 1G over 39 career playoff games, a guy we want to build our forward core around, while others criticize Lundqvist as the reason this team has never won a Cup, is mind boggling to me.

Miller has never been good in the playoffs. He hasn't been better than Glass or any other forward in the line up this year. Again, too many INEFFECTIVE players are in the line up. It doesn't matter what your name is.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I disagree. This is just the gambler's fallacy. Just because an unlikely outcome has occurred (Glass playing a few good games) does not at all outweigh all the other data we have and make it likely that he will continue to play good games.

I would say spots SHOULD be given based on your name however by "name" I don't mean a player like Staal or Girardi who was good years ago and isn't any good now. Skjei is a better player than them now. We've seen it over the course of the entire season. He should be getting the big minutes. Just play your best players and play them the most regardless of how they've been doing over the last few games.

Also why do we care about Miller's playoff numbers 2-3 years ago when he was a bottom line player? He was ok last year and this year he has admittedly been really bad but, provided he's not injured (which is something the team knows and we don't) I would just continue to play him in the same role he thrived in all season.

(A) Bottom line players can still produce in the playoffs. In fact, our bottom line players are carrying the load this playoff (Lindberg, Fast, Grabner).

(B) If we look at the last two seasons, collectively, he still has 0G in 16GP over that stretch, which is unacceptable for a back to back 20 goal scorer.

Fast has been a perennial 4th liner in this organization, albeit an excellent role player, and he has 6G in 38 career playoff games with the Rangers. Even Miller as a 4th liner could have done more. As a top-6 forward for the Rangers the last two seasons, his performance is grossly unacceptable.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So over his next 82 playoff games you would expect him to continue at this rate and score 2 goals (1 in 39 games so far) and not more like the 22 he's had each of the last two regular seasons?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'm not sure what Miller's problem is, but he's definitely not the player he was in the regular season. Frustrating for sure.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
So over his next 82 playoff games you would expect him to continue at this rate and score 2 goals (1 in 39 games so far) and not more like the 22 he's had each of the last two regular seasons?

Until proven otherwise.

The NHL playoffs are not the regular season. The only sample we have of Miller in the post season is poor. In the playoffs, you cannot wait 20+ games to get going. It's a short tournament that usually lasts no more than 20-25 games.

If he was poor next season, and had 1-2G in 10-15GP, would you continue saying "he just needs to get going in the next playoff." At what point does it go from "lets just wait" to "he is ineffective in the playoffs," because 39GP is a fair sample size in the post season for a player his age, both in a bottom-6 and top-6 role.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kreider is in his own head again, overthinking his game.

I don't know what's wrong with Miller.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Are you implying his only value in this series has been via the scoresheet? No one believes he will continue to score at the pace he has.

He's played a very good overall game. He saved a tap in goal on the backcheck last game. He's turned pucks over on the forecheck. He's drawing penalties and frustrating the sens. The puck is actually in the offensive zone when he's been out there.

He needs to be in the lineup because his impact in this series has been big. Positively that is. Ottawa has even made personnel decisions based on his presence.

Just monitor his ice time and make sure he's not caught in a situation like the tying goal.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Are you implying his only value in this series has been via the scoresheet? No one believes he will continue to score at the pace he has.

He's played a very good overall game. He saved a tap in goal on the backcheck last game. He's turned pucks over on the forecheck. He's drawing penalties and frustrating the sens. The puck is actually in the offensive zone when he's been out there.

He needs to be in the lineup because his impact in this series has been big. Positively that is. Ottawa has even made personnel decisions based on his presence.

Just monitor his ice time and make sure he's not caught in a situation like the tying goal.

Miller has been total ass. He looks worse and has been less effective than when Rick Nash was having bad playoffs.

machphantom

Oct 22, 2011
I'm not sure what Miller's problem is, but he's definitely not the player he was in the regular season. Frustrating for sure.

I think Miller's game is more suited for the regular season TBH. A lot of the touch passes and lanes that are open during the regular season tend to evaporate during the playoffs. Miller just isnt capable of adapting to the more physical grind of playoff series.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers have had the better xGF in 4 of the 5 games.

Not by much, but I don't think it's bizarre to say we've outplayed them.

AV hurt us in games 2 and 5 with two massive turtles, and honestly, Hank needs to not.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
That Cyrgalis article was straight fire and I love it. Also, whoever wrote the headline is amazing.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Wait, we're blaming Stepan for the GTG? Can someone inform me who Tanner Glass is guarding here when the pass goes through?

We8c44B.jpg

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Ottawa is so weak. it should have been over in 4 or 5 games. The fact that it is not, really worries me about the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad