Rangers Season Tickets Holders: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
So basically it’s in MSG’s interest for you to sell something at a higher price than they sell it for? I think that’s the crux of your argument. Or are you also saying there’s a benefit to having a larger season subscriber base? I don’t see that as in their interest either. At the end of the day, you and I and a ton of other people, will still be Rangers fans willing to pony up money for tickets. It s*cks for you this year since you’re having to take less than face, but you weren’t complaining a few years ago when you were able to sell premium games at 2-3x what you paid. This environment has been great for me and a several others including your coworker who can now go to games at a more affordable price. And when the team turns it around, the tables will turn and you will get your premium again. In the long run, the market works.

There is no right for season subscribers to earn back the money they paid. And honestly if you think MSG is screwing you, there’s the very simple solution of not renewing.
A large season subscriber base, with a substantial majority of tickets sold, stabilizes the revenue stream. Ski resorts now follow this model, offering multi-mountain passes at a discount up front (compared to window rates and even advanced lift ticket rates) to smooth out the valleys, and ensure they're solvent in the event of a bad season (snow-wise.) They know more money is made once the skier is at the resort. Same for a sports team. If your season is sold out, you need not worry about selling single-game tickets to a last place team.

As you write, the success of the team on the ice will dictate the performance of the resale market, especially today since tickets are very expensive. When the Rangers contend again, no seller should be complaining.

I respect the argument you’re making regarding upfront money and having the definite revenue stream. I would however bring up the example of the Giants and their experience. Ten years ago when the Giants released their PSL plan there was a huge outcry of how that was going to drive regular fans away and how it would shrink the subscriber base. However, if you’re of a certain age as I am, you remember that it was basically impossible to score a seat to the Giants without knowing someone. That was because some families held literally dozens of seats in their name that were passed down generationally. I would say the end result, for both the Giants and their fans, has been overwhelmingly successful. Tickets, and season rights, are readily available at cost; the Giants always sell out; and as someone who’s gone to games in both eras, I like the newer regime as opposed to the somewhat scary environment previously.

It is unfortunate for season subscribers they may incur losses this year but like I said, the market always works in the end. Should their subscriber base drop and the are unable to sell tickets, prices will come down (probably not come down but rather stay constant) and they will have to offer bigger discounts to entice people to buy. Or maybe the rebuild is short term (shorter than the 98-05 drought) and the team competes and we’ll all pay sky high prices again.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I respect the argument you’re making regarding upfront money and having the definite revenue stream. I would however bring up the example of the Giants and their experience. Ten years ago when the Giants released their PSL plan there was a huge outcry of how that was going to drive regular fans away and how it would shrink the subscriber base. However, if you’re of a certain age as I am, you remember that it was basically impossible to score a seat to the Giants without knowing someone. That was because some families held literally dozens of seats in their name that were passed down generationally. I would say the end result, for both the Giants and their fans, has been overwhelmingly successful. Tickets, and season rights, are readily available at cost; the Giants always sell out; and as someone who’s gone to games in both eras, I like the newer regime as opposed to the somewhat scary environment previously.

It is unfortunate for season subscribers they may incur losses this year but like I said, the market always works in the end. Should their subscriber base drop and the are unable to sell tickets, prices will come down (probably not come down but rather stay constant) and they will have to offer bigger discounts to entice people to buy. Or maybe the rebuild is short term (shorter than the 98-05 drought) and the team competes and we’ll all pay sky high prices again.
The Giants situation is a myth. The only PSL's that became available to those on the waiting list were club seats. Most of the regular seats were purchased. I was offered PSL's as I was on waiting list. $7500 each and then $400 per ticket. So, a pair would have cost me $23,000 the first year. The rep actually said I could sell them for whatever I wanted and told me what people planned to do was sell a few games for more than face to get their money back. I laughed at him and told him nobody is going to buy regular season games at a price to make that worth it. I eventually did buy PSL's from a friend.

What has allowed for more people to get Giants tickets at a cheaper price are the disaster that has been the past 2 seasons. 2 of my brothers and I have 6 tickets between us. I am going sunday with one brother and a friend. We sold the other 3 and got $45 each on $110 tickets. Before last season, it was simply the emergence of sites like Stub Hub and the ticket exchange. Before these came along, the only way to get Giants tickets were if you knew someone like you said, through a broker, or if you went to the Stadium that week and were able to pick up anything that was not being used by the league, players, employees, opponent. I know, because I did it a few times in the late-90s and early 2000's. Stubhub, ticket exchange gave regular fans a way to sell tickets and for fans to buy. However, before last year, you were not getting Giants tickets for less than face value unless you waited until about 2 hours before the game.

But, this is the case for all tickets to all events. Name the game you want to attend, and you can get tickets if you are willing to pay for them. Want World Series tickets? The idea of a sell-out is long over.

What was the "scary environment" of the old era?

Last edited:

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
The Giants situation is a myth. The only PSL's that became available to those on the waiting list were club seats. Most of the regular seats were purchased. I was offered PSL's as I was on waiting list. $7500 each and then $400 per ticket. So, a pair would have cost me $23,000 the first year. The rep actually said I could sell them for whatever I wanted and told me what people planned to do was sell a few games for more than face to get their money back. I laughed at him and told him nobody is going to buy regular season games at a price to make that worth it. I eventually did buy PSL's from a friend.

What has allowed for more people to get Giants tickets at a cheaper price are the disaster that has been the past 2 seasons. 2 of my brothers and I have 6 tickets between us. I am going sunday with one brother and a friend. We sold the other 3 and got $45 each on $110 tickets. Before last season, it was simply the emergence of sites like Stub Hub and the ticket exchange. Before these came along, the only way to get Giants tickets were if you knew someone like you said, through a broker, or if you went to the Stadium that week and were able to pick up anything that was not being used by the league, players, employees, opponent. I know, because I did it a few times in the late-90s and early 2000's. Stubhub, ticket exchange gave regular fans a way to sell tickets and for fans to buy. However, before last year, you were not getting Giants tickets for less than face value unless you waited until about 2 hours before the game.

But, this is the case for all tickets to all events. Name the game you want to attend, and you can get tickets if you are willing to pay for them. Want World Series tickets? The

What was the "scary environment" of the old era?

I went to a few games in the early 2000s vs Eagles and Cowboys and it was basically a war zone in the upper deck. A fight broke out every 3 minutes, security was slow in getting to the trouble, people were peeing in used cups so as to not have to go to the bathroom, and when they weren’t peeing they were vomiting. Maybe it was the sections I was sitting in but it wasn’t pleasant at all. Not the Giants, but the Jets had this thing where basically they would sexually harass female fans at the half. Today I wouldn’t have a problem bringing my kid to the game.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The Jets thing, yes. They were turning the spiral walks into Mardi Gras asking women to flash. Many did. Although, not sure what that has to do with Giants PSL's. My guess is you saw the same piece on the news that I did. The PSL's isn't what put a stop to it. Exposing it on the news did as the Stadium hired extra security to patrol those areas and stopped allowing people to congregate on the spirals.

Your Giants claim I am not buying for a second. From 98 on, I have attend almost every Giants-Eagles game up here, and always in the upper deck. Off the top of my head, I think I missed 2001, 2004 and the 2008 play-off game. Have also been to several Giants-C*wb*ys games. Never saw a "warzone" in upper deck. Most of those Eagles games, I was with my friend who is an Eagles fan, wore his Eagles stuff and we never had anything close to a problem. Maybe you saw "a fight", but no chance were fights breaking out all over the place "every 3 minutes" to qualify as a figurative "warzone". The Giants stadium crowd is known for being tame and low-key and always has been. Maybe you saw a "person" peeing or vomiting in cups, I don't believe you saw "people" (as in plural) doing so.

BTW, the crowd at Giants games is TERRIBLE. When they went to the PSL's, the collective football IQ of the fans attending games dropped tremendously. Wish I had a dollar for everytime some moron around me was trying to get the crowd to make noise while the Giants had the ball and then didn't understand why people told him to be quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCRanger

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The Jets thing, yes. They were turning the spiral walks into Mardi Gras asking women to flash. Many did. Although, not sure what that has to do with Giants PSL's. My guess is you saw the same piece on the news that I did

Your Giants claim I am not buying for a second. From 98 on, I went to almost every Giants-Eagles game up here. Off the top of my head, I think I missed 2001 and 2004(?). Have also been to several Giants-C*wb*ys games. Never saw a "warzone" in upper deck. Most of those Eagles games, I was with my friend who is an Eagles fan, wore his Eagles stuff and we never had anything close to a problem. Maybe you saw "a fight", but no chance were fights breaking out all over the place to qualify as a figurative "warzone". The Giants stadium crowd is known for being tame and low-key and always has been. Maybe you saw a "person" peeing or vomiting in cups, I don't believe you saw "people" (as in plural) doing so.

BTW, the crowd at Giants games is TERRIBLE. When they went to the PSL's, the collective football IQ of the fans attending games dropped tremendously. Wish I had a dollar for everytime some moron around me was trying to get the crowd to make noise while the Giants had the ball and then didn't understand why people told him to be quiet.

Giant fans tend to be some of the calmest and most rational in the entire league. A lot of that goes back to what "New Yorkers" became Giants fans and season ticket holders back in the 40's and 50's. Tended to be the more wealthy, white collar guys who worked in Midtown and down on Wall Street. They passed the tickets down through family, and Giants Stadium ended up being a much more subdued environment (toward opponents, the amount of rowdy behavior, i.e. drunks, and amount of idiots in the crowd) than most NFL Stadiums. Also, Giants season tickets at Giants Stadium were relatively cheap in comparison, so once people got them, keeping them was pretty much a done deal.

I vaguely remember when the Giants came to Giants Stadium. There were going to be more seats than current season ticket holders. I remember my dad getting something about getting season tickets, and him saying the price was almost too good to pass up, BUT, the having to give up an entire Sunday seven, and then eight times a fall/early winter was why he decided against it. And, the weather...

I've been to exactly three Giants games in my lifetime, against the Redskins as a kid (someone at church knew someone and gave me the tickets as an early Birthday gift, against the Eagles as a young adult (neighbors got tickets through a broker), and against the Lions with my dad (got tickets through a corrections officer at the prison I worked at.) The only fight I ever saw was at the Lions game. Two Giants fans started throwing at each other. The whole section pointed them out to security and that was that.

Going to a Panther game here in Charlotte...stadium is full of douchebags. Not a pleasant experience. Used to be before Cam Newton and the bandwagon.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
When we moved to NJ, a neighbor with 8 seats gave took my family to a Giants game in 1985. We had an amazing time and I told my dad I wanted my own Giants tickets. I was in the 7th grade and my neighbor explained how the list worked and told me to get on the list now, because it was a 30 year list….and I did.
In 1997 when I got my Rangers tickets, the people in front of me got their Giants tickets after being on the list for 20+ years and every year they told me that they moved a few rows down and a section or two over.
When the PSLs came out, they blew through the entire list. I must have received a dozen calls asking me to purchase seats. I was first offered club seats, but in subsequent calls was offered non-club seats.
What made Giants tickets more accessible was not PSLs. It was the internet. In the past, you needed to know someone or go to a broker. There was no way to compare if the place at the mall was cheaper than the place at the other mall.
Sites like StubHub and NFL TicketExchange allowed everyone to post their seats in a single location and compete against themselves.
Also… Everyone I know that has purchased a PSL since the stadium as opened has done so at a discount.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Giant fans tend to be some of the calmest and most rational in the entire league. A lot of that goes back to what "New Yorkers" became Giants fans and season ticket holders back in the 40's and 50's. Tended to be the more wealthy, white collar guys who worked in Midtown and down on Wall Street. They passed the tickets down through family, and Giants Stadium ended up being a much more subdued environment (toward opponents, the amount of rowdy behavior, i.e. drunks, and amount of idiots in the crowd) than most NFL Stadiums. Also, Giants season tickets at Giants Stadium were relatively cheap in comparison, so once people got them, keeping them was pretty much a done deal.

I vaguely remember when the Giants came to Giants Stadium. There were going to be more seats than current season ticket holders. I remember my dad getting something about getting season tickets, and him saying the price was almost too good to pass up, BUT, the having to give up an entire Sunday seven, and then eight times a fall/early winter was why he decided against it. And, the weather...

I've been to exactly three Giants games in my lifetime, against the Redskins as a kid (someone at church knew someone and gave me the tickets as an early Birthday gift, against the Eagles as a young adult (neighbors got tickets through a broker), and against the Lions with my dad (got tickets through a corrections officer at the prison I worked at.) The only fight I ever saw was at the Lions game. Two Giants fans started throwing at each other. The whole section pointed them out to security and that was that.

Going to a Panther game here in Charlotte...stadium is full of *****ebags. Not a pleasant experience. Used to be before Cam Newton and the bandwagon.
In early 2005, I walked into work and my boss called out to me when he saw me, "PAT, come here!" I went into his office and he asked, "Do you have Giants season tickets?" I said, "No..." he interrupted and said, "You want them?" He had finally come up on the list, he had gone on in 1980. He took them, and I split them with another guy. Then, with the new stadium, he was offered 4 PSL's, I took 2 and the other guy took 2. In 2011, a friend who had 14 PSL's called me asking if I was interested in taking any of his. He used 4 for him and his family. 4 for random people each game. 6, his dad's friend's son had been taken for year (dad had the seats going back to Yankee Stadium). Well the day the money was due the guy called my friend and said, "I can't take the tickets. Going through a messy divorce and the court has frozen most of my assets." He offered them to me. I grabbed the 6 tickets for that season, and the next year me and 2 of my brothers each bought a pair from him and I sold my other pair (location was not as good). I actually made $300 on my first pair, not a big deal. Another mutual friend bought another pair. Original guy still has 6, but he doesn't even want them anymore. He drives in from LI, hates making the trip, and hates the new stadium. We are in the 300s, I liked the old escalators to take you directly to the upper tier. Hate having to go up one escalator, then walk to find another bank of escalators to then go up and 6 more escalators. All because they want you to have to walk around the 100-level concourse and buy their overpriced garbage.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Going to a Panther game here in Charlotte...stadium is full of *****ebags. Not a pleasant experience. Used to be before Cam Newton and the bandwagon.
In early 2005, I walked into work and my boss called out to me when he saw me, "PAT, come here!" I went into his office and he asked, "Do you have Giants season tickets?" I said, "No..." he interrupted and said, "You want them?" He had finally come up on the list, he had gone on in 1980. He took them, and I split them with another guy. Then, with the new stadium, he was offered 4 PSL's, I took 2 and the other guy took 2. In 2011, a friend who had 14 PSL's called me asking if I was interested in taking any of his. He used 4 for him and his family. 4 for random people each game. 6, his dad's friend's son had been taken for year (dad had the seats going back to Yankee Stadium). Well the day the money was due the guy called my friend and said, "I can't take the tickets. Going through a messy divorce and the court has frozen most of my assets." He offered them to me. I grabbed the 6 tickets for that season, and the next year me and 2 of my brothers each bought a pair from him and I sold my other pair (location was not as good). I actually made $300 on my first pair, not a big deal. Another mutual friend bought another pair. Original guy still has 6, but he doesn't even want them anymore. He drives in from LI, hates making the trip, and hates the new stadium. We are in the 300s, I liked the old escalators to take you directly to the upper tier. Hate having to go up one escalator, then walk to find another bank of escalators to then go up and 6 more escalators. All because they want you to have to walk around the 100-level concourse and buy their overpriced garbage.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
When we moved to NJ, a neighbor with 8 seats gave took my family to a Giants game in 1985. We had an amazing time and I told my dad I wanted my own Giants tickets. I was in the 7th grade and my neighbor explained how the list worked and told me to get on the list now, because it was a 30 year list….and I did.
In 1997 when I got my Rangers tickets, the people in front of me got their Giants tickets after being on the list for 20+ years and every year they told me that they moved a few rows down and a section or two over.
When the PSLs came out, they blew through the entire list. I must have received a dozen calls asking me to purchase seats. I was first offered club seats, but in subsequent calls was offered non-club seats.
What made Giants tickets more accessible was not PSLs. It was the internet. In the past, you needed to know someone or go to a broker. There was no way to compare if the place at the mall was cheaper than the place at the other mall.
Sites like StubHub and NFL TicketExchange allowed everyone to post their seats in a single location and compete against themselves.
Also… Everyone I know that has purchased a PSL since the stadium as opened has done so at a discount.
The more expensive PSL's, I would think so. Mine were $1,000 each and that is what we paid my friend. We each also had to pay a $200 transfer fee. So, it was $2200 for me and each of my brothers. My first set in the 300 endzone, I think were only $800 (?) and I sold them for $1100 plus the $200 fee. A friend from my tailgate just sold hers. She is in the endzone in the 200s and she took a loss. She was moving for a business ooportunity to South Carolina so had to dump them. I think her were originally $5000 (she wasn't original owner). I know she paid $4000 and sold them both for $4000 ($2000 each). I know because the guy to my right was thinking of buying them and I was going to buy his, but he was away on vacation. Someone offered her the money and she was afraid to lose the buyer so took it.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

The Giants and the Jets blew through their waiting lists because of the PSL. Had the Rangers asked for a PSL to fund the renovation, I'd have walked away.
If I had Giants tickets, and was asked to lay out tens of thousands for PSL's, I would have walked away, too.

The NFL got rid of the blackout policy, and between tolls, parking, tickets, and the PSL, they make it very easy for me to choose to stay home. I tell people who pay a ransom to park to be sure they get the most out of their parking dollar by lugging broken air conditioners and lead paint to the parking lot and putting in the dumpsters.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCRanger

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The Giants and the Jets blew through their waiting lists because of the PSL. Had the Rangers asked for a PSL to fund the renovation, I'd have walked away.
If I had Giants tickets, and was asked to lay out tens of thousands for PSL's, I would have walked away, too.

The NFL got rid of the blackout policy, and between tolls, parking, tickets, and the PSL, they make it very easy for me to choose to stay home. I people who pay a ransom to park to be sure they get the most out of their parking dollar by lugging broken air conditioners and lead paint to the parking lot and putting in the dumpsters.

Parking is the main reason I don't go to many games any more. When the cost to park your vehicle is more than the cost of the ticket to attend the game, something is terribly wrong.

Last thing I went to here in Charlotte was the Liverpool - Dortmund soccer exhibition. I got tickets for relatively cheap. We took the light rail, which is slightly more than an NYC subway ride. But, coming back on that is almost impossible directly after the game, so we ended up eating in uptown Charlotte, and then got on the light rail later. Still, eating uptown and taking the train was cheaper than parking.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Parking at Giants stadium is $30 for a pre-paid pass. If you don't have a pass, you have to park at a satellite lot,which I believe costs $40 and then take a shuttle. Funny thing is, even though I sold my 3 for sunday for less than 1/2 price, I was able to get full price for my 2 extra parking passes.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

The NFL got rid of the blackout policy, and between tolls, parking, tickets, and the PSL, they make it very easy for me to choose to stay home. I people who pay a ransom to park to be sure they get the most out of their parking dollar by lugging broken air conditioners and lead paint to the parking lot and putting in the dumpsters.
Thought the NFL still has the blackout policy? Networks will "buy" the tickets to get the sell out so they can show the game.

Yes, I have brought some medium size things in my car to games and "accidentally' left them behind.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Thought the NFL still has the blackout policy? Networks will "buy" the tickets to get the sell out so they can show the game.

Starting in 2015, the NFL has suspended the blackout policy each season. Apparently nobody would see their home team play their home games if it was enforced. They still have restricted telecasts, where a game cannot be shown on TV against a home game - although some exceptions are made for two-market teams. With the cross-flex (from CBS to FOX and vice-versa), along with the simultaneous scheduling of two-market teams (NYC, SF, LA), the NFL is bending to the broadcast dollar. NY would lose many "featured" double-header games if the Jets and Giants had to play in different Sunday afternoon broadcast windows.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Parking at Giants stadium is $30 for a pre-paid pass. If you don't have a pass, you have to park at a satellite lot,which I believe costs $40 and then take a shuttle. Funny thing is, even though I sold my 3 for sunday for less than 1/2 price, I was able to get full price for my 2 extra parking passes.

Not for nothing, compared with Charlotte, that's a veritable bargain.

Most of the lots closest to the stadium are $50, and then go down maybe to $30 as you get farther away. A lot of the problem is half the parking in uptown that existed 20 something years ago when the stadium was first built doesn't exist any more. The last time the Panthers made the playoffs, the lots were charging $75. Flat out extortion.

The Panthers play Monday night. The lot I park in monthly for work becomes a football lot before the end of the workday. I basically have to work from home and eat my cost, or am expected to cough up $40 to leave.

Another reason I'm so ready to leave this place.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Not for nothing, compared with Charlotte, that's a veritable bargain.

Most of the lots closest to the stadium are $50, and then go down maybe to $30 as you get farther away. A lot of the problem is half the parking in uptown that existed 20 something years ago when the stadium was first built doesn't exist any more. The last time the Panthers made the playoffs, the lots were charging $75. Flat out extortion.

The Panthers play Monday night. The lot I park in monthly for work becomes a football lot before the end of the workday. I basically have to work from home and eat my cost, or am expected to cough up $40 to leave.

Another reason I'm so ready to leave this place.

Well, I don't think I have ever paid more than $10 to park near Lambeau when I was living up in Wisconsin... and that was two years ago.

Hell, even the Mets let you leave the commuter lot on game days (but not playoffs, OD, Yanks, or US Open... They won't even let you in on those days. But at least they don't have monthly customers to worry about.)

A large portion of my aunt's family fled New York 20 years ago for the Research Triangle to avoid the spiraling costs of living.. Apparently good things don't last. They mention traffic and congestion, and the fact that the infrastructure, that was new 20 years ago, needs to be repaired, and nobody wants to foot the bill.. I guess it's not much different in Charlotte.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Starting in 2015, the NFL has suspended the blackout policy each season. Apparently nobody would see their home team play their home games if it was enforced. They still have restricted telecasts, where a game cannot be shown on TV against a home game - although some exceptions are made for two-market teams. With the cross-flex (from CBS to FOX and vice-versa), along with the simultaneous scheduling of two-market teams (NYC, SF, LA), the NFL is bending to the broadcast dollar. NY would lose many "featured" double-header games if the Jets and Giants had to play in different Sunday afternoon broadcast windows.
I find that hard to believe that nobody would be able to see their home team play home games. The blackout restriction never applied to club seats.

The Jets and Giants playing at the same time is a new policy. For years, they never did. I honestly like them both playing at 1 if I am home to watch. I really do not care about watching the Jets and would rather watch 2 other teams in the other time slot. For years NY would get a 3rd game broadcast maybe 25% of the time. Basically needed Fox to have a double-header when the Giants were at home and CBS to have it when the Jets were at home. Too often, it never worked out.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Well, I don't think I have ever paid more than $10 to park near Lambeau when I was living up in Wisconsin... and that was two years ago.

Hell, even the Mets let you leave the commuter lot on game days (but not playoffs, OD, Yanks, or US Open... They won't even let you in on those days. But at least they don't have monthly customers to worry about.)

A large portion of my aunt's family fled New York 20 years ago for the Research Triangle to avoid the spiraling costs of living.. Apparently good things don't last. They mention traffic and congestion, and the fact that the infrastructure, that was new 20 years ago, needs to be repaired, and nobody wants to foot the bill.. I guess it's not much different in Charlotte.
Watch a Rangers-Hurricanes game in Raleigh and you will see how many New Yorkers moved down to that area.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I find that hard to believe that nobody would be able to see their home team play home games. The blackout restriction never applied to club seats.

I may have exaggerated, but the Jets have LOTS of unsold non-club seats. I don't think the Giants are at risk. If the blackout rule were enforced rigidly, I am of the opinion that many home games would get blacked out, especially for bottom dwellers.

The Jets and Giants playing at the same time is a new policy. For years, they never did. I honestly like them both playing at 1 if I am home to watch. I really do not care about watching the Jets and would rather watch 2 other teams in the other time slot. For years NY would get a 3rd game broadcast maybe 25% of the time. Basically needed Fox to have a double-header when the Giants were at home and CBS to have it when the Jets were at home. Too often, it never worked out.

The Jets and Giants playing at the same time is indeed new. I think it happens six times this season, and I am sure it's done so that the DH network can air their marquee 4:25 game in all the big media markets.

New York used to NEVER get a third game before DH rules were relaxed in the late 90's. The broadcast rules used to be that a market did NOT get a double-header if there was a home game played in the market. With no bye-weeks, two teams, and the Jets and Giants sharing a stadium (and even when the Jets played at Shea), odds were that one of them would be playing a home game on a Sunday afternoon, and therefore no double-header for New York. I recall announcers going out of their way to say, "And all of you will get to see the bloodbath between the Raiders and the Broncos, except those of you in New York..."

After the rule change (late 90's) New York could get three games provided the team playing a home game was on the DH network. (The team on the road can be shown against the marquee 4:25 game in the 4:05 slot).

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
IIRC, the rule was a team had to sell 95% of their premium seating (ie suites) - club seats are still counted.

They very occasionally played at the same time before but this is the first year I can remember where games switched networks.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
IIRC, the rule was a team had to sell 95% of their premium seating (ie suites) - club seats are still counted.

They very occasionally played at the same time before but this is the first year I can remember where games switched networks.
95% of their NON-suites and club seats. Certain seats were designated as club for that reason.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I understood the blackout rules in the 60s. However, the money is now made on tv. The idea that fans would stay home from a Giants game in NY so they can watch another game in tv is ridiculous and I am very surprised the networks who are paying the rights fees haven't straightened it out, yet.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I may have exaggerated, but the Jets have LOTS of unsold non-club seats. I don't think the Giants are at risk. If the blackout rule were enforced rigidly, I am of the opinion that many home games would get blacked out, especially for bottom dwellers.

The Jets and Giants playing at the same time is indeed new. I think it happens six times this season, and I am sure it's done so that the DH network can air their marquee 4:25 game in all the big media markets.

New York used to NEVER get a third game before DH rules were relaxed in the late 90's. The broadcast rules used to be that a market did NOT get a double-header if there was a home game played in the market. With no bye-weeks, two teams, and the Jets and Giants sharing a stadium (and even when the Jets played at Shea), odds were that one of them would be playing a home game on a Sunday afternoon, and therefore no double-header for New York. I recall announcers going out of their way to say, "And all of you will get to see the bloodbath between the Raiders and the Broncos, except those of you in New York..."

After the rule change (late 90's) New York could get three games provided the team playing a home game was on the DH network. (The team on the road can be shown against the marquee 4:25 game in the 4:05 slot).
Remember, stadiums could look less than full, but that doesn't mean the tickets are not sold. I expect a decent amount of no-shows Sunday, but the game is a "sell-out".

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
95% of their NON-suites and club seats. Certain seats were designated as club for that reason.
Oops yes non-premium (plus it was 85% not 95%). There are a ton of "club seats" (eg all mezzanine seats) but they counted in the 85%. Maybe coaches club and similar locations counted as premium.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Remember, stadiums could look less than full, but that doesn't mean the tickets are not sold. I expect a decent amount of no-shows Sunday, but the game is a "sell-out".

Well, since the blackout rules no longer apply, the point is moot. I expect even more no-shows on Saturday for the Jets / Texans game...

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Well, since the blackout rules no longer apply, the point is moot. I expect even more no-shows on Saturday for the Jets / Texans game...
I sold 2 early and donated my last 2. It's going to rain on Saturday (rangers open practice was canceled) sO the place will probably be empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad