Confirmed with Link: Rangers Re-sign Ryan Bourque

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Bourque had a good year but I don't think he'll ever make it here. Too much of a logjam.

The Rangers forwards were very healthy last year. Nobody was hurt and nobody really performed poorly. The down side to that is that it gives you a less clear idea of what you have down on the farm.

Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, Bourque, Allen, McIlrath...one of these kids will be an NHL regular. maybe more. At a minimum, Bourque can be an AHL leader for the newer guys.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hagelin was called up because that idiot Deveaux nailed Fleischmann with an elbow and they needed to fill a spot on an emergency basis. Hagelin was so good in his debut he stuck.

That 2012 team had some useless guys. Deveaux, Avery, Christiansen, Mitchell, Wolski, Rupp....the carousel was annoying. But Newbury was the guy usually getting looked at.

I'm hoping when there is a suspension and/or injury, guys like Bourque (who I'm not a big fan of) get a chance to show what they can do, get their name in the books and serve as a trade showcase.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
If Duclair's contract no longer slides, does this impact the Ranger's decision to send him back to Jr this year?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I love guys off the 2010 team, so Bourque fits there. He's got the tenacity to succeed. I just don't know if he can physically do it. Very much like a Ryan Callahan, IMO, just with more concussions.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Capgeek posted the numbers, 2 year, 2 way deal, AAV of 562,500. Still an RFA when deal expires. He does have to clear waivers now to be sent down.

2014/2015 550,000/80,000
2015/2016 575,000/135,000

http://www.capgeek.com/player/1929

I have a feeling this will be another Dale Weise story. Kid is ready for the NHL. Rangers waive him. He is picked up by someone and develops into a quality 4th liner somewhere else as the Rangers continue to try to find a way to solidify their 4th line as the year progresses.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I have a feeling this will be another Dale Weise story. Kid is ready for the NHL. Rangers waive him. He is picked up by someone and develops into a quality 4th liner somewhere else as the Rangers continue to try to find a way to solidify their 4th line as the year progresses.

true that. As i recall, NYR waived Weise to keep Avery for another couple weeks, who was already on Torts' &h!t list, and never had role on that year's team

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Call it intuition as I didn't get the chance to watch him much at all last year, but I really think this is the year he gets himself a spot on the roster. Barring any unforeseen acquisitions of course.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Duclair doesn't slide this season.

HhTwZig.png

Duclair signed his contract in January of this year. He turns 19 in that calendar year. Meaning his contract only gets one year of sliding (2013-14).

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/anthony-duclair/news-rangers-sign-prospect-anthony-duclair/

Duclair is in his third-year in the QMJHL and has one-more year of eligibility left. If he doesn’t make the Rangers next season his contract will slide and not count against the Rangers list of 50 contracts.

http://rangersunlimited.com/2014/01/02/rangers-sign-anthony-duclair/

As for the immediate impact, there isn’t much. Duclair will continue to play for Quebec in QMJHL and his contract will slide provided he doesn’t play in 10 NHL games this season. His contract could slide next season as well, meaning his contract wouldn’t officially start until his first professional season at age 20. In any year in which his contract slides, the contract will not count against the limit of 50 contracts all NHL teams have imposed on them.

Should settle the Duclair slide issue on his effect on the 50 SPC limit this year. 47 contracts as of now if both Graves and Duclair slide. Which they will. Sign John Moore. 48 SPCs. 2 spots open.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

Capgeek most likely has this one wrong. Another journalist reports the below story. News broke January 2 and who knows when the deal was signed? The slide info is all from the NYR org. Likely they have it right. But who knows...

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2014/1/2/5267394/new-york-rangers-news-anthony-duclair-signs-an-entry-level-deal
It is expected that Duclair will finish out the rest of this season with the Quebec Remparts, and unless he makes the Rangers outright next season, he will remain in juniors for at least one more year. With that likely being the case, Duclair will not count against the Rangers 50-man reserve list, and his contract won't officially kick in until he makes the transition to the professional level.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
We need one of the beat writers to get this clarified with the team. It's possible the Duclair deal was registered in late December, but not announced until after the new year.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/anthony-duclair/news-rangers-sign-prospect-anthony-duclair/

[/B]

http://rangersunlimited.com/2014/01/02/rangers-sign-anthony-duclair/

Should settle the Duclair slide issue on his effect on the 50 SPC limit this year. 47 contracts as of now if both Graves and Duclair slide. Which they will. Sign John Moore. 48 SPCs. 2 spots open.
Well yeah, I wrote that. I received new information.

CapGeek gets their information from the source documents, I'm sure they have the date correct.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
We need one of the beat writers to get this clarified with the team. It's possible the Duclair deal was registered in late December, but not announced until after the new year.
What motivation would Duclair have to sign a contract December 28?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
What motivation would Duclair have to sign a contract December 28?

I don't know, but I have a hard time believing the Rangers signed Duclair during the one short period where his contract wouldn't slide for this season.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Well yeah, I wrote that. I received new information.

CapGeek gets their information from the source documents, I'm sure they have the date correct.

It also says in the CBA that "unless a player and club expressly agree to the contrary..." Which means that The Rangers and Duclair in reality can have a mutual agreement in place that his contract slides one more year (including this season) if he goes back to Juniors or plays less than 10 NHL games. This would also be Without breaking the terms of the CBA. And then also meaning Capgeek has the correct date. But do they have the actual contract ("source documents")? Hardly... But that is my personal opinion.

Only the people that have access to the actual contract would know what is written in it specifically, but the Rangers organization has in fact announced to the beat writers that it will slide - ie most likely meaning that is written in the contract.

Would be interesting to find out the absolute truth of the matter here as both sides of the argument certainly contain validity. I will see what I can come up with but welcome anybody else to find out what is correct

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
can someone explain to me here what it is exactly that Bourque does so much better than everyone else that it will allow him to overcome his significant size issue?

I'll be honest here, I don't get to watch the Hartford Wolfpack play, but I have a hard time believing that a Bourque is anything more than AHL filler.

Reminds of Brad Smyth. Not in the sense of size, or even AHL offensive ability, just more of a guy that may be good at one level and offer nothing at the next.

What does Bourque offer that could not be offered by any other teammate with 3-4 inches and 20-25 lbs?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
can someone explain to me here what it is exactly that Bourque does so much better than everyone else that it will allow him to overcome his significant size issue?

I'll be honest here, I don't get to watch the Hartford Wolfpack play, but I have a hard time believing that a Bourque is anything more than AHL filler.

Reminds of Brad Smyth. Not in the sense of size, or even AHL offensive ability, just more of a guy that may be good at one level and offer nothing at the next.

What does Bourque offer that could not be offered by any other teammate with 3-4 inches and 20-25 lbs?

He has very good hockey sense, a very good feel for the game defensively, a never-ending energy, he hits, he is a superb PKer and he has speed to spare. If he were 5'10, he would be in the NHL already.

He is Ryan Callahan, less about 2 inches and less offense. Basically, a very smart, energy player who wins you games by shutting other teams down and creating problems with his speed.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Bourque is a fast skater and tenacious on the forecheck. He really is comparable to a smaller, less skilled, slightly better skating version of Callahan. He has a good motor and just won't quit. I don't think that will be enough for him to make it on the Rangers, given the size-deficient makeup of the roster already, but he should find his way as a spark-plug type 4th liner on some team in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad