Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Derek Stepan 6 years/$39M/$6.5M

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
It's very dependant on what happens with Miller, Etem, and Lindberg...

If Lindberg wins the 3C spot, then the Top 6 winger spot can be filled internally which is good news for the team...

If that happens then we can do something like:

Kreider-Stepan-Hayes
Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Miller-Lindberg-Etem
Stalberg-Moore-Fast

They have to make room for the kids... Hopefully AV has been told not to hide kids from the ice because of a ****ing worthless, worst-in-the-nhl vet who "protects" and "deters"...

They REALLY need to move Glass and this forward corps would be perfect. At least 1, if not 2 of Etem, Miller, and Fast are due for breakout 40 point seasons...

Preaching to the choir... thats the roster I wold like to see come out of camp although until he proves otherwise at the NHL level, I'd flip Etem with Fast.
Something has to give with Glass as well as someone on defense if McIlrath tears it up in camp... which I'd like to see happen.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think some people know that Hayes never played center before being signed with the Rangers. Prior to his signing he proved to be a very effective scoring winger in the NCAA.
And some are forgetting the absence of MSL's numbers. Regardless of how you feel about MSL turning into toast last season, his offense needs to be replaced and some are wondering who can do it. Some are thinking they sign someone... some think it can be done from within.
Can't be so quick to shoot the idea down of seeing how a line of Krieder-Stepan-Hayes would do if given the opportunity. It could end up being a positive long term solution for the team. Personally, I'd like to see that line because I think the potential for that line is just too good to not at least give it a serious look.
We've seen Miller and Fast as well alongside Krieder and Stepan and the consistency is just not there... with both Krieder and Miller it can get very frustrating seeing them disappear for stretches. I think Hayes would compliment Krieder and vice-versa. Perhaps they give Miller more time. I don't know... it also gets into the 3rd line conversation with Lindberg. I would really like to see Lindberg force his way on to the team. All signs have pointed to Lindberg being NHL ready and to have a 3rd line center thats probably more effective at face-offs than Stepan, Brassard and Hayes (lets see if that wrangles a few), solid defensively, PK killer and has an offensive side as well would be a very positive problem for AV to have it comes down to making roster decisions. I have no problem with seeing what a 3rd line of Fast-Lindberg-Miller would do.
What I don't understand is how some are writing in Etem and Stalberg on the top 2 lines. Have those two play alongside Moore on the 4th until they prove otherwise and roll with it.
Cue the Glass factor...

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I don't think some people know that Hayes never played center before being signed with the Rangers. Prior to his signing he proved to be a very effective scoring winger in the NCAA.
And some are forgetting the absence of MSL's numbers. Regardless of how you feel about MSL turning into toast last season, his offense needs to be replaced and some are wondering who can do it. Some are thinking they sign someone... some think it can be done from within.
Can't be so quick to shoot the idea down of seeing how a line of Krieder-Stepan-Hayes would do if given the opportunity. It could end up being a positive long term solution for the team. Personally, I'd like to see that line because I think the potential for that line is just too good to not at least give it a serious look.
We've seen Miller and Fast as well alongside Krieder and Stepan and the consistency is just not there... with both Krieder and Miller it can get very frustrating seeing them disappear for stretches. I think Hayes would compliment Krieder and vice-versa. Perhaps they give Miller more time. I don't know... it also gets into the 3rd line conversation with Lindberg. I would really like to see Lindberg force his way on to the team. All signs have pointed to Lindberg being NHL ready and to have a 3rd line center thats probably more effective at face-offs than Stepan, Brassard and Hayes (lets see if that wrangles a few), solid defensively, PK killer and has an offensive side as well would be a very positive problem for AV to have it comes down to making roster decisions. I have no problem with seeing what a 3rd line of Fast-Lindberg-Miller would do.
What I don't understand is how some are writing in Etem and Stalberg on the top 2 lines. Have those two play alongside Moore on the 4th until they prove otherwise and roll with it.
Cue the Glass factor...

Hayes started out as a center at BC--he switched to wing for the last two years.

Coach Alain Vigneault is using Hayes at center to start camp. Hayes played his first two seasons at Boston College at center (including centering Chris Kreider as the Eagles won the NCAA title in 2012) and was used as a right wing his last two collegiate seasons.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/...hance_at_center_but_also_comfortable_on_wing/

Overall, I think Miller is better at wing (although he's decent on draws) and ultimately Hayes is a better center.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Overall, I think Miller is better at wing (although he's decent on draws) and ultimately Hayes is a better center.

I like Miller playing wing mostly but with the ability to take draws if necessary. Just makes him a bit more versatile and gives the team a few more options at times.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Who is changing positions? You act like Hayes has never played wing before. Also, last time I checked, Lindberg is a center.

your post makes no sense

Lundqvist also played D for a while. So what?

My point is you can't just look at a name and flip players around. Hayes has played very successfully as a center in college, and he was an excellent rookie center for the Rangers last year. Hayes play some wing in certain situation in college, but he was very effective as a center of us.

Furthermore, Hayes' frame and vision suit the pivot position over playing as a flanker.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lundqvist also played D for a while. So what?

My point is you can't just look at a name and flip players around. Hayes has played very successfully as a center in college, and he was an excellent rookie center for the Rangers last year. Hayes play some wing in certain situation in college, but he was very effective as a center of us.

Furthermore, Hayes' frame and vision suit the pivot position over playing as a flanker.
Yeah, I don't see why we would move Hayes from the 3c spot. He had a great season and is primed to have an even better one now.

I don't care if he was a RW in college, what I do care about is that he was a center last year in the NHL and was awesome. His vision and size at center is great, especially on the 3rd line. The talk of slotting Lindberg in at 3C is premature to say the least.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Yeah, I don't see why we would move Hayes from the 3c spot. He had a great season and is primed to have an even better one now.

I don't care if he was a RW in college, what I do care about is that he was a center last year in the NHL and was awesome. His vision and size at center is great, especially on the 3rd line. The talk of slotting Lindberg in at 3C is premature to say the least.

Ill say this again because clearly the message isn't getting across. Im not advocating just blindly giving Lindbergh the 3C spot.

IF (<-----look at that word) Lindberg can handle 3C duties, it has the potential to improve out lineup as a whole. why not take that chance? If it doesn't work, Hayes at 3C is a great fall back plan.

The whole argument is probably moot however because he is a rookie and given AVs track record, he likely won't get the opportunity to show he can play 3C.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Ill say this again because clearly the message isn't getting across. Im not advocating just blindly giving Lindbergh the 3C spot.

IF (<-----look at that word) Lindberg can handle 3C duties, it has the potential to improve out lineup as a whole. why not take that chance? If it doesn't work, Hayes at 3C is a great fall back plan.

The whole argument is probably moot however because he is a rookie and given AVs track record, he likely won't get the opportunity to show he can play 3C.

AV played Hayes the opportunity to play 3C his rookie year.

Anyway, if Hayes were to be moved to wing, I think he would mesh better with Brassard as the center because the Kreider-Stepan-Hayes line that was proposed would have too many pass first players who both have been total ass at the face-off dot. Brassard has a better shot.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

Anyway, if Hayes were to be moved to wing, I think he would mesh better with Brassard as the center because the Kreider-Stepan-Hayes line that was proposed would have too many pass first players who both have been total ass at the face-off dot. Brassard has a better shot.

Last Year was a different situation. AV had to choose between a rookie in Hayes and a rookie in Miller for the 3C. Granted,Miller had played in the NHL before the beginning of last season. However at the time he was looked at as unreliable defensively.

You and I both know that given the choice, AV will choose a veteran over a rookie 9 times out of 10.

to your other point, what about this:

Nash - Stepan - Hayes
Kreider - Brassard - Zucc
Miller - Lindberg - Etem/Fast
Stalberg - Moore - Etem/Fast

***This is assuming Lindberg is ultra impressive and can handle 3C***

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Kreider with Brassard and Zucc always intrigued me

I feel like I remember it being tried at least once or twice this past season?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Kreider with Brassard and Zucc always intrigued me

I feel like I remember it being tried at least once or twice this past season?

Kreider-Brassard-Zucc has posted a 62.8 CF% in a small sample size of 87 minutes since 2012

Kreider-Stepan-Nash together are a 53.8 CF% together with a 527 minute sample size since 2012

Stepan and Nash together since 2012 are a 53.3 CF% together with 1088 minutes TOI

Stepan and Kreider together since 2012 are a 51.6 CF% together with 1477 minutes TOI

If it all shakes out for Kreider, I'm fully confident in letting him ride shotgun with Brass and Zucc this season, while Stepan gets Nash back as his RW.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Etem-Brassard-Zucc
Fast-Hayes-Miller (JT can take a lot of draws)
Lindberg/Glass-Moore-Stalberg

I like the look of those lines if Etem picks it up this year.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

I would think AV will leave the Nash-Brassard-MZA line alone as they proved to be effective during the regular season.
Can't agree with Krieder being a pass first player. If he is then that can't be good a sign. Stepan perhaps but if he's got the space he'll shoot. Hayes definitely has the ability to hold on to the puck and be creative with it which is what we started to see last season. He can shoot as well.
Both Brassard and Stepan don't exactly dominate face-offs... another reason why I'm rooting for Lindberg to make the team.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc has posted a 62.8 CF% in a small sample size of 87 minutes since 2012

Kreider-Stepan-Nash together are a 53.8 CF% together with a 527 minute sample size since 2012

Stepan and Nash together since 2012 are a 53.3 CF% together with 1088 minutes TOI

Stepan and Kreider together since 2012 are a 51.6 CF% together with 1477 minutes TOI

If it all shakes out for Kreider, I'm fully confident in letting him ride shotgun with Brass and Zucc this season, while Stepan gets Nash back as his RW.

Any stats on Nash-Brassard-Zucc?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

Thank you

I see no reason why Kreider can't be the net front presence that Poo and Nash were for Brass and Zucc the past two years

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015

I think the Kreider for Nash flop would be an experiment worth taking for sure.

Miller-Stepan-Nash

Kreider-Brass-Zucc

Would be my ideal top 6 to start the year. I think the swap gives the 2nd line more speed and a more physical, grinding presence with Kreider over Nash, something that certainly plays to Brass-Zucc's strengths as seen with the success they had in 13-14 with Pouliot. Nash back on the first line with Stepan has proven to be great in the past as well, and if Miller can take the next step and find consistency in his game, he has all the tools (skill, physicality, offensive IQ), to be a perfect 3rd complimentary player to Step and Nash.

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
Thank you

I see no reason why Kreider can't be the net front presence that Poo and Nash were for Brass and Zucc the past two years

God that goal was awesome. Such a quick look up-to- snap pass from Zucc, and Kreider with the perfectly timed drive back door.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I think the Kreider for Nash flop would be an experiment worth taking for sure.

Miller-Stepan-Nash

Kreider-Brass-Zucc

Would be my ideal top 6 to start the year. I think the swap gives the 2nd line more speed and a more physical, grinding presence with Kreider over Nash, something that certainly plays to Brass-Zucc's strengths as seen with the success they had in 13-14 with Pouliot. Nash back on the first line with Stepan has proven to be great in the past as well, and if Miller can take the next step and find consistency in his game, he has all the tools (skill, physicality, offensive IQ), to be a perfect 3rd complimentary player to Step and Nash.
I like this

See how the bottom 6 of:
Etem-Hayes-Fast
Glass ( :'( )-Moore-Lindberg(?)

Does

If you can trade Klein for some sort of middle 6 winger I think you have to do it tho. Platoon Diaz/McI as the 6th dman like JMoore/Hunwick.

Camp/Preseason should be fun

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Got it.
So you're thinking... Krieder-Brassard-MZA and Nash-Stepan-Hayes as the top 2 lines?
Hey, why not? Lets give it a go.

No, I really don't want to take Hayes away from 3C. It spreads out our depth and allows us to make a lot of matchups against teams lower lines and pairings. This is what I'd do:

Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Nash-Stepan-Miller
Stalberg-Hayes-Etem
Lindberg-Moore-Fast

You'd call me crazy, but I think a line of Stalberg-Stepan-Nash would work very well, since Hagelin-Stepan-Nash performed very well as a line, and Stalberg can play that similar role of being a speedy puck retriever that battles below the net. Then you could use a 3rd line of Miller-Hayes-Etem and it allows Miller to take draws for Hayes

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
No, I really don't want to take Hayes away from 3C. It spreads out our depth and allows us to make a lot of matchups against teams lower lines and pairings. This is what I'd do:

Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Nash-Stepan-Miller
Stalberg-Hayes-Etem
Lindberg-Moore-Fast

You'd call me crazy, but I think a line of Stalberg-Stepan-Nash would work very well, since Hagelin-Stepan-Nash performed very well as a line, and Stalberg can play that similar role of being a speedy puck retriever that battles below the net. Then you could use a 3rd line of Miller-Hayes-Etem and it allows Miller to take draws for Hayes

Sorry. You lost me.
Lets see how things sort out.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Nash-Stepan-Miller
Stalberg-Hayes-Etem
Lindberg-Moore-Fast

No Glass. Lineup invalid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad