Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Brendan Lemieux

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
This is a minor complaint so please don't pile on- but I would have gladly taken Fast at the contract he signed and traded Lemieux rather than this outcome. Fast in my mind is the more effective player and at a more important position tactically for the Rangers.

the rangers would have taken fast at that contract too...they didn't want to give fast a 3rd year.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Fast was the least skilled player on our team, his only redeeming quality was he works hard. Which really he doesn’t even do that much, that’s just the reputation you get as a Swiss army type player who stays with the team for so many years. Fast has hands of stone and every play dies on his stick. He’s the Ranger who out of anyone on the team I know isn’t going to score on a breakaway, so many times I look up oh we have a breakaway!! Then I’m like “oh it’s just Fast” the guy can barely even raise a puck.

Lemieux is the far more talented player and brings way more edge & willingness to sacrifice for the team, he is by far the more unique player in today’s NHL

Fast was least skilled? look at those beautiful goals he scored. Far more skilled than Lias, DiGiuseppe, McKegg, and Gauthier

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Fast was the least skilled player on our team, his only redeeming quality was he works hard. Which really he doesn’t even do that much, that’s just the reputation you get as a Swiss army type player who stays with the team for so many years. Fast has hands of stone and every play dies on his stick. He’s the Ranger who out of anyone on the team I know isn’t going to score on a breakaway, so many times I look up oh we have a breakaway!! Then I’m like “oh it’s just Fast” the guy can barely even raise a puck.

Lemieux is the far more talented player and brings way more edge & willingness to sacrifice for the team, he is by far the more unique player in today’s NHL
Skill isn’ everything. Especially when you have so many skilled, offense-only players. The problem with Fast is he was played in the top 6 where he didn’t belong, but as a bottom 6er he would be perfect.
Tampa won a cup by adding a bunch of “unskilled” players to their skilled core.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
while I like the edge he plays with I don't think he's super effective overall.
You nailed it. At this point all we want is an effective pest who drives zone time and who also pots you 10+ goals a season.

He REALLY needs to work on his balance and I think the rest will fall into place.
1-Hard forecheck
2-Separate man from puck
3-STAY ON YOUR FEET
4-Recover before opposition
5-Reap benefits

Reactions: egelband

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Skill isn’ everything. Especially when you have so many skilled, offense-only players. The problem with Fast is he was played in the top 6 where he didn’t belong, but as a bottom 6er he would be perfect.
Tampa won a cup by adding a bunch of “unskilled” players to their skilled core.

Fast is a 3rd liner in mentality and skill, with the motor of a top 6er and the shot of a 2nd liner. He's potentially that 3rd liner who pots goals in the playoffs as the opposition keys in on the top 2 lines.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

hmmm, how well would Lemiuex do if he was given Fast's ice time next to Panarin and Strome?

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks, FWIW I think this is a solid deal for you. From what I’ve found in my wanderings and rabbit hole diving, there are a lot of Teams looking for Players who embrace his style.

A lot better to re-sign/extend an asset like this than have to try acquiring one, imho.
A487129C-EFB8-41F7-B6C1-55ADDC2D8F69.gif

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Can someone please make a gif of him trolling the entire Minnesota Wild bench last season when he jumped in and blocked their door ?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

Agree that Fast has very little skill and that Lemieux is pretty unique, but Lemieux doesn’t exactly have great hands either. He makes up for it in different ways, and so does Fast, but neither player has blown me away.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Seems like a guy you let go when he hits UFA, but when he's not really getting paid much as an RFA, fine to have around. Probably overpaid by 100-200k, but no real issue here.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Cringey take on Fast.

If the rest of our team was able to anticipate plays, force turnovers, and play mistake free at Fast's level, we would have been contenders for the last decade.

But yeah, he doesn't dipsy-doodle or score on spin-o-ramas, so he must be trash.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I really hope he turns into an effective pest who can balance that part of his game with solid forecheck and occasional scoring. 2nd PP unit parked in front of the net would be nice.

Hes still young and by the end of this contract itll be pretty clear what he is as a player.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I still have hopes for Lemieux to become a damn good 3rd liner.

He's built like a tank. Hopefully this off-season he worked on his cardio, and starts channelling his energy into winning puck battles and forcing his way to the net.

The instigating part of his game isn't going anywhere; that's just who he is. If he can figure out how to be an effective player on top of that, then he could be the kind of 3rd liner that gets brought up by other teams when they prepare for games.

I actually think that if him and Alf end up together to start the year, Lemieux could take a big leap in development. A first hand look at how to play with an edge while also dictating play.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He'll be 25 early in the new season with about 2 seasons under his belt. I am not arguing that he can't improve at all, because I think a change in his approach could pay large dividends, but otherwise he is who he is. The skill development and understanding of the pro game, probably not going to evolve much. Not impossible as guys follow nonlinear development paths all the time, but barring a conscience effort to play a different way, I think he is what he is.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland

His only redeeming quality was he works hard?
For a start, Fast scores more breakaways than Lemieux because a couple of the 10 or 11 skills he has that you have forgotten are positioning and reading the game. Fast isn't a top 6 player, but there have been few better bottom 6 players here for a long time. Lemieux (who I like) isn't one of them. I'm not too sure what you mean by sacrificing for the team, but if Fast didn't do that then I can only assume you mean regularly dropping your gloves. I'm all for that, especially from limited players, but there are better ways to sacrifice for the team.

Glad to have Lemieux back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad