Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You ranking him higher doesn’t mean he’s definitively better and I have no idea why everyone thinks he’s suddenly elite. He did really well in a 7 game sample against other kids, otherwise this year wasn’t elite by him by any standard

I'm not saying my personal ranking is the end all be all of prospect rankings. Far from it. I'm just demonstrating that this isn't a case of the grass being greener as you alluded to in your post.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You ranking him higher doesn’t mean he’s definitively better and I have no idea why everyone thinks he’s suddenly elite. He did really well in a 7 game sample against other kids, otherwise this year wasn’t elite by him by any standard

This is what I keep thinking about. I don’t really see Mittelstadt’s season as being better than Andersson’s.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Forget Mittelstadt vs Andersson. That ship has sailed IMO. He'll be playing with Dahlin and Eichel -- Andersson just can't compete with that no matter what he does. He probably needs to win Selkes and be a Cup winner to offset Mittelstadt's likely point production. Besides, Chytil looks like the future No. 1, not Andersson. At least based on the last season and developing skill sets.

The new guy to complain about is Necas. Especially if he's centering Aho and Svechnikov for the next 10 years. Just grew two inches and can flat out fly.

A center with legit superstar potential.

TUQ

Mar 24, 2004
Hey guys, watching some clips of our new defense prospect Miller, I realised I can't spot a real difference in quality of play between him and the top D prospects that went in this entry draft. What is the difference for him to go in the 20s rather than in the top 10 or even top 5 ?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Literally nothing Andersson has done since the draft indicates he's at a serious risk of busting.

Somehow to some Chytil is a surefire star and Andersson is a bust waiting to happen. It's crazy how these baseless opinions are formed.

Forget Mittelstadt vs Andersson. That ship has sailed IMO. He'll be playing with Dahlin and Eichel -- Andersson just can't compete with that no matter what he does. He probably needs to win Selkes and be a Cup winner to offset Mittelstadt's likely point production. Besides, Chytil looks like the future No. 1, not Andersson. At least based on the last season and developing skill sets.

The new guy to complain about is Necas. Especially if he's centering Aho and Svechnikov for the next 10 years. Just grew two inches and can flat out fly.

A center with legit superstar potential.

Why is there a need to complain? The constant need to complain without looking at context is laughable. And how does Chytil look like a future 1st line center? He's good, and he's talented but people are getting overly optimistic about Chytil.

Oh, and Necas barely played center all season. I doubt he ever makes the NHL at that position.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hey guys, watching some clips of our new defense prospect Miller, I realised I can't spot a real difference in quality of play between him and the top D prospects that went in this entry draft. What is the difference for him to go in the 20s rather than in the top 10 or even top 5 ?

Playmaking; running a power play; agility; vision.

That's why he's a project -- he's never been a true No. 1 at a high level and still is learning the position. But the potential is there. It's just that the defenders picked ahead of him (or in some cases after) have a higher upside in terms of point production.

He got drafted right around where he was expected to go.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Playmaking; running a power play; agility; vision.

That's why he's a project -- he's never been a true No. 1 at a high level and still is learning the position. But the potential is there. It's just that the defenders picked ahead of him (or in some cases after) have a higher upside in terms of point production.

He got drafted right around where he was expected to go.

Get out of town with this nonsense. ; )

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Somehow to some Chytil is a surefire star and Andersson is a bust waiting to happen. It's crazy how these baseless opinions are formed.

Why is there a need to complain? The constant need to complain without looking at context is laughable. And how does Chytil look like a future 1st line center? He's good, and he's talented but people are getting overly optimistic about Chytil.

Oh, and Necas barely played center all season. I doubt he ever makes the NHL at that position.

I'm glad I clicked "view ignored content" for this gem.

Necas actually played exclusively at center last year for Brno. Exclusively, as in he averaged 1o.8 faceoffs a game (260 in 24 games). Tough to be called a winger when you're taking that many draws.

Necas is a natural center, centered the top line at a dozen intl events, was drafted as a center, played center at the dev camps, played center in his seven mins of NHL ice time.

Carolina FO, scouts and coaches call him a center. Carolina media call him a center. He played center yesterday in the loss to Finland.

Besides, Elite leagues frequently play teens out of position. Kotkaniemi is a natural center who spent the entire SM-Liiga season as a winger and was drafted as a center with the intent to make him a No. 1 center.

As for Chytil, you're in the minority there. He's already leapfrogged Andersson on the depth chart if you go by AHL deployment, camp promotions and TOI last season. Derek Stepan was a No. 1 center. Not that tough to do on the Rangers, unless you think Nieves or Howden will block him.

OK, back to normalcy.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm not saying my personal ranking is the end all be all of prospect rankings. Far from it. I'm just demonstrating that this isn't a case of the grass being greener as you alluded to in your post.
Fair enough. Not ever case is the grass being greener but I suspect it's the case for quite a few people.

Reactions: Trxjw

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY

Necas actually played exclusively at center last year for Brno. Exclusively, as in he averaged 1o.8 faceoffs a game (260 in 24 games). Tough to be called a winger when you're taking that many draws.

Necas is a natural center, centered the top line at a dozen intl events, was drafted as a center, played center at the dev camps, played center in his seven mins of NHL ice time.

Carolina FO, scouts and coaches call him a center. Carolina media call him a center. He played center yesterday in the loss to Finland.

Besides, Elite leagues frequently play teens out of position. Kotkaniemi is a natural center who spent the entire SM-Liiga season as a winger and was drafted as a center with the intent to make him a No. 1 center.

As for Chytil, you're in the minority there. He's already leapfrogged Andersson on the depth chart if you go by AHL deployment, camp promotions and TOI last season. Derek Stepan was a No. 1 center. Not that tough to do on the Rangers, unless you think Nieves or Howden will block him.

OK, back to normalcy.
When you have people like Kreiderman on ignore you gotta ask yourself if maybe you're the problem Steve. It really isnt that personal.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

OK, back to normalcy.

I've never watched Necas so wouldn't have any idea where he plays, but just using faceoff stats seems on odd way to determine whether someone played at center; it's entirely possible to take the draw and move to another position, especially when it comes to the PP.

For example, JT Miller had almost the same average faceoffs per game at 9.8, but he didn't play all that much center through out the year....

Reactions: Fvital92

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What tournament were those Pajuniemi highlights from? Thanks in advance!! :)

I’m just guessing, but is it the WJSS or is that going on later?

WJSS starts in a few days (28th). I believe these games are just U20 national team friendlies. They play a ton of these at all levels of national team play throughout the year. Even Shesterkin and the Russian "B-Team" played in a few last year, along with Rykov. Getting video is rare though, they're usually not televised and a lot of the games aren't even really public.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Ask around the league and I think you'll get a near consensus response that Chytil's ceiling is in fact as a first line center.

It's hard to deny. He's on a very promising development trajectory, throw in size and he has a presence on the ice that it's been a long time since I've seen a NYR prospect have.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Everyone should have Amazing Kreiderman on ignore. Just another soft Euro.

Never listen to convicts!

And regarding the faceoff-argument, I live an hour from Brno. I've been to 20-ish games of Kometa and every time Necas played, he was on the wings. I think it's sad that Steve can't respond in a mature way, but it is the way it is. I am not looking for confirmation on my opinion. It's my opinion based on what I've seen.

Oh, my point stands though: Why do we HAVE to complain about Lias compared to players picked after him? We all know he was picked because the Rangers did not want to risk anything after not having a 1st rounder for 4 years straight. But hey, apparently context doesn't matter. There's no reason to compare Lias to Mittelstadt, Suzuki, Necas or anyone else.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Is the KHL doing training camps and stuff now? Thought I remember hearing that started a bit ago...assuming no preseason games yet?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Is the KHL doing training camps and stuff now? Thought I remember hearing that started a bit ago...assuming no preseason games yet?
Yes, all camps are underway. Traktor is holding this part of the camp in Finland and will play three games with other KHL clubs that are "camping" in Finland. Fist game is tomorrow against Salavat Ulaev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad