Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
IIRC, Chytil remains eligible and
IMHO, there is no good reason not to let him go,
even if the were leading NHL in points
If he is playing well in the NHL it makes absolutely zero sense to let him go play in the WJCs. What is he going to gain from leaving the best league in the world to play against lesser competition for 2 weeks? If he is struggling in the NHL or playing in the AHL then i'm sure they will send him.

Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If he is playing well in the NHL it makes absolutely zero sense to let him go play in the WJCs. What is he going to gain from leaving the best league in the world to play against lesser competition for 2 weeks? If he is struggling in the NHL or playing in the AHL then i'm sure they will send him.

You do realize that the World Juniors isn't meant to develop kids, right? It makes sense for him to go because it's an honor and he is one of their best, if not their best player. The Rangers do not need Chytil because he's not a top-6 player and we are in a rebuild.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
I don't care how many of you negative mofos in here want to whine and complain like you do ALL YEAR ROUND, I am totally psyched for this season and the future, even after Hank retires. I don't see another 7 year playoff drought anywhere on the horizon and I'll TAKE IT!! Just make the playoffs and be one of the more dangerous teams in the league and be respected around the league and I'll be happy as a pig in s h i t.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You do realize that the World Juniors isn't meant to develop kids, right? It makes sense for him to go because it's an honor and he is one of their best, if not their best player. The Rangers do not need Chytil because he's not a top-6 player and we are in a rebuild.

How often do NHL teams send their young players who are playing well in the NHL to the WJCs? It doesn't happen aside from the VERY rare exception of a single player or 2 over the last decade.

We sent Duclair a few years ago because he was struggling in the NHL and hoped it would help regain his confidence. If he was playing well in the NHL still he wouldn't have went and I believe there was a quote from the Ranger's regarding that at the time.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
But why stop his development for him to go? He can be honored by getting a full time spot on the World Championship team this year

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But why stop his development for him to go? He can be honored by getting a full time spot on the World Championship team this year

During the WJC the Rangers play 5 games. That's all. It's not like he's missing a lot. And again, this is all based on the presumption that Chytil is actually playing in the NHL. There's no indication he will other than what fans want to happen.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Part of the rebuild is developing the players, which is precisely why if he's playing well he should stay and continue doing so. Unless he expresses some burning desire to go and tells the team he'll be devastated by missing out, it would benefit him more to continue getting games against NHL competition than other teenagers.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
During the WJC the Rangers play 5 games. That's all. It's not like he's missing a lot. And again, this is all based on the presumption that Chytil is actually playing in the NHL. There's no indication he will other than what fans want to happen.
5 games, but there’s also practices and training with NHL players. And the presumption/indication that he’ll be in the NHL is he started and ended the season there last year and the focus for this season will be to develop players at the NHL level, which is why they hired Quinn to coach

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Chytil in the NHL for more than a handful of games this season. I think people are severely overestimating him.

Reactions: pblawr

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Chytil in the NHL for more than a handful of games this season. I think people are severely overestimating him.
I do think I t’s possible he’s in the AHL for most of the year and goes to the WJC, but my main point is that it’s not crazy to not send him if he’s playing regularly in the NHL

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Eh, I could see it going either way honestly. He made huge strides last offseason. If he makes big progress in his strength, conditioning, puck skills etc again this summer he could definitely be a regular NHLer. Not a guarantee by any means but I won't be shocked either way.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

if you asked me this a few months ago I would have said you're crazy but if I look at the way we are constructed

kreider zibanejad buchnevich
spooner Hayes Fast
Vesey Namestnikov Zucc
Mcleod Nieves Lettieri
Beleskey

Skjei Shattenkirk
Staal Pionk
Claesson Smith
Gilmour/Kampfer

are we seriously going to keep kids off this roster?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Sjalin had an up-and-down year. Good start, got hurt, never really recovered. Then he bounced between the Leksands lineup and the J20 side, including being a scratch with the big club and only seeing about a third of their playoff games. He was a big contributor early then basically ended up being the 6/7 later when he played.

He has a chance for the WJC I would think and other U20 games but he needs to get off to a good start and stick in Allsvenskan. If he gets dropped to the J20 again that's a bad sign.

I would say the same with Tarmo Reunanen, as well. I still want to give him the benefit of the doubt because of a stacked TPS team and a late transition to Lukko last year. But this is his make or break year in terms of NYR prospects. He has nothing to prove in Mestis anymore and Lukko should have openings on defense.

This will also give NYR a reason to scout him and 2019 draft prospects Ville Heinola and Antti Saarela.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Kravtsov is likely sticking with Traktor main squad in the KHL and so it’s likely he’s not let go similar to eligible prospects playing in the NHL.

I think it'll depend on Traktor's season, similar to Buchnevich the year Severstal traded him to SKA.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
if you asked me this a few months ago I would have said you're crazy but if I look at the way we are constructed

kreider zibanejad buchnevich
spooner Hayes Fast
Vesey Namestnikov Zucc
Mcleod Nieves Lettieri
Beleskey

Skjei Shattenkirk
Staal Pionk
Claesson Smith
Gilmour/Kampfer

are we seriously going to keep kids off this roster?
I'll be absolutely shocked if at least one of Chytil, Andersson or Howden doesn't spend most of the season in the NHL, personally. I expect one rookie d-man as well.

Obviously I don't want them to be rushed if they're not ready, but especially in the case of Chytil and Andersson, I think they're going to be very very close if not already there, and it'd be kind of crazy to tear the team down to "rebuild" and then ice a lineup entirely made of vets.

Reactions: Fvital92

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'll be absolutely shocked if at least one of Chytil, Andersson or Howden doesn't spend most of the season in the NHL, personally. I expect one rookie d-man as well.

Obviously I don't want them to be rushed if they're not ready, but especially in the case of Chytil and Andersson, I think they're going to be very very close if not already there, and it'd be kind of crazy to tear the team down to "rebuild" and then ice a lineup entirely made of vets.

Id be shocked if 2 of them don't spend most of the season in the NHL.

And by 2 of them, I mean Chytil and Lias.

Hajek will get worked in mid season, Howden after the TDL.

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
Id be shocked if 2 of them don't spend most of the season in the NHL.

And by 2 of them, I mean Chytil and Lias.

Hajek will get worked in mid season, Howden after the TDL.

Agree with this. I don't think they brought in a development coach in Quinn and roll with all vets. Right now there doesn't seem to be space, but I expect in the end there will be at least one guaranteed spot for rookies to battle it out as well as another one with a token spare part vet to battle it out for. Then I expect a few spots open for rookies again after the TDL.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I really don't know but I think it's a big reach to think that as an 18 year old he's going to come in and play the entire season and push Hayes down to the third line. I don't see that and though I do expect Chytil to play some with the Rangers next year I wouldn't be surprised at all if he spends the bulk or half of next year in Hartford.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I really don't know but I think it's a big reach to think that as an 18 year old he's going to come in and play the entire season and push Hayes down to the third line. I don't see that and though I do expect Chytil to play some with the Rangers next year I wouldn't be surprised at all if he spends the bulk or half of next year in Hartford.

Yes. And it wasn't as if he was flat out dominating in the AHL either. He was good, but he still has room to grow even in that league.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd expect Hayes to be on the "third line" in that his line will get the toughest matchups, while Chytil's will be looked at to put up points more than shut down the other team. I wouldn't expect the TOI to be all that different.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
My opinion is that:

- Prospects should be put on a team based on what's best for their development, not based on what the NHL roster looks like.
- The top 6 forwards we've brought up through the AHL like Zuccarello and JT Miller needed to score a point-per-game in the AHL before they were successful in the NHL. Even Jesper Fast scored almost a point-per-game in the AHL before he stuck in the NHL. While the 0.6-0.7 ppg that Chytil and Andersson posted in the AHL last year are great numbers for 18 & 19 year olds, they don't indicate that Chytil or Andersson are ready to transition to the NHL yet.
- It is totally fine if prospects aren't top-6 NHL forwards before they can legally buy a drink. Chytil and Andersson will still be ahead of a lot of guys who turned into very good NHL players if they improve on their production next year in the AHL.

It's also very tough for players to transition from a junior league to the NHL. Dylan Strome scored over 2 points-per-game in the OHL and he couldn't stick in the NHL last year. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect guys like Hajek and Howden to do better than he did.

Personally, I will be happy if Chytil, Andersson, Howden, and Hajek all have good AHL seasons that show continued development.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad