Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 8.7.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The one at 1:43 is the most impressive to me - while the other defenseman is handling the puck in their team's zone Ragnarsson is out of camera for a moment last seen crossing the blue line, and when he reappears he's way further when expected in behind the opponents backs.
That one stood out to me too, when I first saw it I was like “he’s a defenseman but he’s getting in on a breakaway somehow.” Then I watched it a few times and he gets from the boards at his own blueline to the center of the opposite blueline in like a little over a second

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Ha, didn't mean for it to be a negative. I guess Huska and Wall did the same, and also Nanne. Maybe some others. Just meant the year of Junior A (or B for Wall)/USHL before going to an NCAA school.

I know about your support for Fogs so I was just teasing.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Cap Friendly has Nieves signed today.

Looks like Nieves signed his QO.

He and Fogarty are fairly smart resigns.

At worst, they both provide at least a little stability in Hartford should the trip of Anderson, Chytil or Howden make the team or get some looks.

At best, maybe one can stick as a fourth line player and penalty killer.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The one at 1:43 is the most impressive to me - while the other defenseman is handling the puck in their team's zone Ragnarsson is out of camera for a moment last seen crossing the blue line, and when he reappears he's way further when expected in behind the opponents backs.

I actually think the first highlight was the best. He's got to have very good smarts to use the boards as a pass to the front of the net!!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Does anyone have a rough sketch of what prospects are likely to compete at this year's world juniors?

So far I've thought of locks as

Gross (Switzerland)
Kravtsov(Russia)

Maybe's

Miller (USA)
Lindbom(SWE)
Lundqvist(SWE)
Pajuniemi(FIN)

Am I missing anyone?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Dunno if its been discussed but this article Vitali Kravtsov Plans To Join Rangers Sooner Than Most People Expected. Suggests Kravtsov might want to come over this year after the KHL season ends.

This is all based on an article on NHL.com earlier this week. ESNY is nothing more than a hub.

It could happen, if Gorton is willing to burn a year off his ELC. I don't see Gorton doing that though. Not after he was so cautious with the ELC slides if Chytil and Lias

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is all based on an article on NHL.com earlier this week. ESNY is nothing more than a hub.

It could happen, if Gorton is willing to burn a year off his ELC. I don't see Gorton doing that though. Not after he was so cautious with the ELC slides if Chytil and Lias

Would he be able to play in the AHL late season without burning a year?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Does anyone have a rough sketch of what prospects are likely to compete at this year's world juniors?

Gross (Switzerland)
Kravtsov(Russia)

Maybe's

Miller (USA)
Lindbom(SWE)
Lundqvist(SWE)
Pajuniemi(FIN)

Am I missing anyone?
I'd say Calle Sjalin is pretty close to being a lock. Ragnarsson could be an interesting option for Sweden too, depending on his D+1 season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'd say Calle Sjalin is pretty close to being a lock. Ragnarsson could be an interesting option for Sweden too, depending on his D+1 season.

There is some time left, but neither Sjallin nor Ragnarsson is on the U20 squad for the Kamloops tournament in July/August. Nils Lundqvist is on the team though.

I didn’t see anything of Sjallin last season. His performance hasn’t been that impressive though.

Ragnarsson is a bit of a late bloomer in a sense. But in terms of accomplishments his season in the Allsvenskan was really good last year. He could get some attention.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sjalin had an up-and-down year. Good start, got hurt, never really recovered. Then he bounced between the Leksands lineup and the J20 side, including being a scratch with the big club and only seeing about a third of their playoff games. He was a big contributor early then basically ended up being the 6/7 later when he played.

He has a chance for the WJC I would think and other U20 games but he needs to get off to a good start and stick in Allsvenskan. If he gets dropped to the J20 again that's a bad sign.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Gross (Switzerland)
Kravtsov(Russia)

Maybe's

Miller (USA)
Lindbom(SWE)
Lundqvist(SWE)
Pajuniemi(FIN)

Am I missing anyone?

I've been impressed with Gross at the WJC20. Not saying he's got NHL potential, but redline on down, he knows what he's doing. That's not going to equate to an NHL career, but there's something there to work with.

Ragnar is the dark horse. Lots of upside with him, especially with his play last year in the men's league.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Gross (Switzerland)
Kravtsov(Russia)

Maybe's

Miller (USA)
Lindbom(SWE)
Lundqvist(SWE)
Pajuniemi(FIN)

Am I missing anyone?

Kravtsov is likely sticking with Traktor main squad in the KHL and so it’s likely he’s not let go similar to eligible prospects playing in the NHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sjalin had an up-and-down year. Good start, got hurt, never really recovered. Then he bounced between the Leksands lineup and the J20 side, including being a scratch with the big club and only seeing about a third of their playoff games. He was a big contributor early then basically ended up being the 6/7 later when he played.

He has a chance for the WJC I would think and other U20 games but he needs to get off to a good start and stick in Allsvenskan. If he gets dropped to the J20 again that's a bad sign.

Yeah, he is a talented and exciting kid but he has surely had a bumpy road missing an entire season with a knee injury and then getting a concussion and what not.

But competition is stiff and he really need to make some noise to get in at this point, considering the team is already being built so to speak. Certainly not impossible but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
According to Cap Friendly qualifying offers to RFAs expired at 5:00 PM eastern today, July 15.

More
"Reminder that RFA's who have not yet accepted their QO, or who did not file for Arb, will see their offer expire at 5pm EST today. Clubs can extend the deadline to a later date, allowing them to keep negotiating. Clubs do not lose the players rights. https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/all/rfa … …"

As of 5:53 eastern there is no word on Gilmour or Biagras signing their qualifying offers. Neither has any negotiating leverage other than threatening to go to Europe. Perhaps they have accepted and it has not yet been announced or the Rangers have agreed to extend the deadline.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We often dicuss if a kid should be brought over ASAP or left a few years in Europe. Saw this article on the subject with quotes from a Swedish GM. Its of course biased and a one sided view, but thought I just put it in Google translate and share it:

Kritiken mot NHL: ”Som att avla fram travhästar”

"
- There is a serious problem when NHL clubs sign contracts with really young players. I think that, personally, it is bad respect for what Sweden has achieved in talent development, "says Eriksson.
Of the 23 players who have signed NHL contracts, five of them have not yet been established at SHL level, or even played a single match in the league.
"The NHL clubs sign contracts with our players of all ages and lend them out. They become more or less owners of the player and have a lot of influence over their development. For us clubs there is a great challenge because we do not know how long we can keep the players. We are capable of developing them, but it will be superfluous when we do not know how long we can count on the players or put up a plan for them, "says Eriksson, and continues:
"The NHL clubs have signed a contract with 18 year olds who have not yet played a seniors match, and thus influence on the player and his agent will obviously be difficult for us to oppose. In the NHL and the AHL they play it over 80 games a year, and the kids' development in athletic and individual training on ice are, in my view, inadequate. The kids are treated like merchandise.

"Looking at the Swedish model"
Eriksson thinks that the development for young players is significantly better in Sweden.
"In Sweden, we have a softer approch, a developmental thinking, and a better division between matches and training. Sweden is the world's best talent factory and I wish a much greater respect from the NHL clubs. Let at least my talents finish school and establish themselves at senior level in Allsvenskan or SHL before signing a contract, "says Eriksson.
"

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Personally I think its very problematic when NHL team's don't realize that its a big challenge for a 18 y/o to play in the SHL. The SHL season starts September 15. Preseason early August.

A NHL team drafts an 18 y/o and loves their pick, but they are fairly certain that he isn't ready to play in NA. However they want to see their new toy in camp so they sign him and bring him to NA for preseason. Meanwhile the SHL team builds its team, special teams are sat etc. Quite long into the SHL season the kid is returned to the SHL. These kids aren't certain to get a spot in the SHL, let lone do well. Get special teams ice time etc. Often they get a bad start to that SHL season when they join late. Its not a good approch. If you want a kid to have a good season in Europe, you must let them take part of preseason in Europe and prepare properly. Bringing over a kid to NHL camp that everyone knows will be cut is just a bad idea.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Personally I think its very problematic when NHL team's don't realize that its a big challenge for a 18 y/o to play in the SHL. The SHL season starts September 15. Preseason early August.

A NHL team drafts an 18 y/o and loves their pick, but they are fairly certain that he isn't ready to play in NA. However they want to see their new toy in camp so they sign him and bring him to NA for preseason. Meanwhile the SHL team builds its team, special teams are sat etc. Quite long into the SHL season the kid is returned to the SHL. These kids aren't certain to get a spot in the SHL, let lone do well. Get special teams ice time etc. Often they get a bad start to that SHL season when they join late. Its not a good approch. If you want a kid to have a good season in Europe, you must let them take part of preseason in Europe and prepare properly. Bringing over a kid to NHL camp that everyone knows will be cut is just a bad idea.

Agree 100%. And this is why Kravtsov is back in Russia now. This is why Europeans don't participate in Traverse unless they are signed. Often teams do what is best for them, not so much what is best for the players. I am sure someone will bring up Chytil to counter this argument, but he is the exception.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Gross (Switzerland)
Kravtsov(Russia)

Maybe's

Miller (USA)
Lindbom(SWE)
Lundqvist(SWE)
Pajuniemi(FIN)

Am I missing anyone?

IIRC, Chytil remains eligible and
IMHO, there is no good reason not to let him go,
even if the were leading NHL in points

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016

Gross (Switzerland)
Kravtsov(Russia)

Maybe's

Miller (USA)
Lindbom(SWE)
Lundqvist(SWE)
Pajuniemi(FIN)

Am I missing anyone?

Keane could be a dark horse for the US

Status
Not open for further replies.