Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I wouldn't say that Howden is better than Lias, but I would say Howden is our best faceoff prospect. If there is any kid I move to the wing it Lias. I would play LA on Chytil's wing and Howden on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Rongomania

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Let's pump the breaks on him being more than a 3C just yet.

I ultimately don't see his upside as vastly different than LA. Andersson deservedly is more highly regarded due to his age and level of competition, but the two are a lot closer in potential than many will admit. If the NYR can get a pair of 45-55 pt defensively sound players out of the two that would be a big boost.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I ultimately don't see his upside as vastly different than LA. Andersson deservedly is more highly regarded due to his age and level of competition, but the two are a lot closer in potential than many will admit. If the NYR can get a pair of 45-55 pt defensively sound players out of the two that would be a big boost.
I do think Howden will be a pro NHLer and will be on this team for the rebuild so that's a GOOD THING.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If Lias and Howden eventually become quality 2C and quality 3C, I don't care which is which. Nieves at 4C. Zib+Hayes packaged to upgrade the first line either at W (if Chytil is good) or C (If Chytil busts).

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Maybe Lias and Howden work together with a vet like Fast or UFA addition like Calvert to form the most onboxious shutdown line in the East. That would be pretty cool.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... Zib+Hayes packaged to upgrade the first line ...

i know this is the Prospect thread, so the unproven will out-value the proven
but i expect Hayes and probably Zib as core for the next generation NYR of the next ~ 3 years
they are still young and improving,
I can't recall a F who in recent NYR history who improved as much in years 3 and 4 as Hayes did
and Mika is not yet 25 (ok, yeah, next week)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
i know this is the Prospect thread, so the unproven will out-value the proven
but i expect Hayes and probably Zib as core for the next generation NYR of the next ~ 3 years
they are still young and improving,
I can't recall a F who in recent NYR history who improved as much in years 3 and 4 as Hayes did
and Mika is not yet 25 (ok, yeah, next week)

That's fair, but I said that this can happen only if Lias and Howden become quality 2C/2C players. Zib is good, but he's not a center who wins the Cup as a 1C. But if adding some combination of Chytil, Lias, Howden and Nieves as our 2C, 3C and 4C makes Hayes expandable, he could be packaged to upgrade Zib to a better 1C.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
That's fair, but I said that this can happen only if Lias and Howden become quality 2C/2C players. Zib is good, but he's not a center who wins the Cup as a 1C. But if adding some combination of Chytil, Lias, Howden and Nieves as our 2C, 3C and 4C makes Hayes expandable, he could be packaged to upgrade Zib to a better 1C.

I agree with this, but I think it's very unlikely. As a fanbase, we greatly undervalue Hayes.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

I agree with everything you said until you said if they get that out of the two it would be a big boost

No it would be a big boost to get that out of Howden. It would not be a big boost to get that out of a 7th overall pick. We went with most nhl ready to jump into a 3C role instead of elite talent. No one bothered to check if the kid could skate at all. All we heard was vilardi can’t skate stay away. Lias is a worse skater than vilardi and without the skill but no one mentioned that. Very strange.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not really concerned about lines, so much as effectiveness and combinations.

Regardless of what line Howden is on, I just find him to be a “winning” player. In other words, he’s a guy who contributes to a winning game - be it scoring, faceoffs, etc.

Love this kids compete and no matter where you put him he excels in that role.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Howden is half a year older and has been doing his thing in Juniors. Lias has been doing what he's doing in the SHL, AHL and NHL. I'll give Howden a slight edge in skating and maybe in size (though it's more height than frame; they both look pretty sturdy), but Lias gets a big nod in awareness (his is uncanny at times). I think they could be very close in he end, but I'm still expecting Andersson to be the better of the two players.

I'm glad we have both, though.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I agree with this, but I think it's very unlikely.

Actually, I think it's quite likely that 2 of Chytil, Lias or Howden (or one of the lesser prospects like Morgan Barron) become 2C and 3C.

As a fanbase, we greatly undervalue Hayes.

Hayes is a good player, but you need 3 first liners to win the Cup. Not kinda, sorta first liners where we argue about it and someone points out that he's in the top-90 forward in scoring. You don't win the Cup when you have a 29th best C, 27th best LW and 31st best RW on your first line. Technically, you've got 3 first liners, but that kind of first line leads you straight to the golf course in early April. Unless you hit a homerun with Chytil and at least one more player in this coming draft, you have no choice but to try to leverage 2-3 good players like Hayes and Zib into a true first liner, which means a guy who can be an asset to a first line of a Cup winner, not just someone in the top-90 in scoring.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Actually, I think it's quite likely that 2 of Chytil, Lias or Howden (or one of the lesser prospects like Morgan Barron) become 2C and 3C.

Hayes is a good player, but you need 3 first liners to win the Cup. Not kinda, sorta first liners where we argue about it and someone points out that he's in the top-90 forward in scoring. You don't win the Cup when you have a 29th best C, 27th best LW and 31st best RW on your first line. Technically, you've got 3 first liners, but that kind of first line leads you straight to the golf course in early April. Unless you hit a homerun with Chytil and at least one more player in this coming draft, you have no choice but to try to leverage 2-3 good players like Hayes and Zib into a true first liner, which means a guy who can be an asset to a first line of a Cup winner, not just someone in the top-90 in scoring.

The bolded is generally what I disagree with it. Specifically, not that two thirds those players won't become capable of being a 2C and a 3C , but that Hayes becomes the expendable one in that scenario.

If we ice a team where Hayes is our 3C, all else being equal, that lineup will be extremely competitive. Not so sure that two of those three prospects develop into better options than Hayes for that role.

I'll gladly take a cup of the Kool-aid you're dishing out in the second part of your post though. I just think it's more likely that in a year or two, it will be apparent that Zib + (Lias, Chytil or Howden) is the way to go for that move.

Reactions: eco's bones

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The bolded is generally what I disagree with it. Specifically, not that two thirds those players won't become capable of being a 2C and a 3C , but that Hayes becomes the expendable one in that scenario.

If we ice a team where Hayes is our 3C, all else being equal, that lineup will be extremely competitive. Not so sure that two of those three prospects develop into better options than Hayes for that role.

I'll gladly take a cup of the Kool-aid you're dishing out in the second part of your post though. I just think it's more likely that in a year or two, it will be apparent that Zib + (Lias, Chytil or Howden) is the way to go for that move.

I never said to do it this year or next. I said that it becomes an option if and when 2 of Lias, Chytil and Howden become establised as 2C and 3C. In that case, Hayes is expandable. You said ice a team where Hayes is a 3C. Now let's imagine a reasonable scenario where Chytil becomes a quality 2C, and one of Lias or Howden is a great 3C who can be upgraded to 2C when injuries hit. That's not a crazy scenario at all. Do we tell Lias to play on 4C even though he's a quality middle-6 center? Why? If we can at that point go Hayes+Zib to get a center better than Zib, why do we instead send the better of Howden/Lias to the 4th line?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
We definitely don't. If two of the three of them turn out to be better options than Hayes as 3C, then ZBad + Hayes to upgrade to a top tier 1C makes perfect sense. No argument from me.

I just think it's more likely that Hayes will be the better 3C option. :)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I never said to do it this year or next. I said that it becomes an option if and when 2 of Lias, Chytil and Howden become establised as 2C and 3C. In that case, Hayes is expandable. You said ice a team where Hayes is a 3C. Now let's imagine a reasonable scenario where Chytil becomes a quality 2C, and one of Lias or Howden is a great 3C who can be upgraded to 2C when injuries hit. That's not a crazy scenario at all. Do we tell Lias to play on 4C even though he's a quality middle-6 center? Why? If we can at that point go Hayes+Zib to get a center better than Zib, why do we instead send the better of Howden/Lias to the 4th line?

Two things: when discussion turns to prospects development and roster changes most people here translate "eventually" into "soon" if not "next season" so got to be careful with it.

Also, there are other factors that go into roster moves you proposed. For example if the Rangers top six is "eventually" Ziba, Kreider, Chytil, Buchnevich and X and X - then Lias and Howden should be first considered relative to X and X, because I'd be quite comfortable with this version (or even better) Hayes to be 3C on a contending Rangers team.

Similarly, I'd rather have a deeper quality of the roster (both at C and wings) which, instead of pursuing a trade, could mean Zibanejad moving to a wing (the move that I personally would not advocate as I'm quite happy with Ziba at C).

Reactions: belford222
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad