Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Two things: when discussion turns to prospects development and roster changes most people here translate "eventually" into "soon" if not "next season" so got to be careful with it.

Also, there are other factors that go into roster moves you proposed. For example if the Rangers top six is "eventually" Ziba, Kreider, Chytil, Buchnevich and X and X - then Lias and Howden should be first considered relative to X and X, because I'd be quite comfortable with this version (or even better) Hayes to be 3C on a contending Rangers team.

Similarly, I'd rather have a deeper quality of the roster (both at C and wings) which, instead of pursuing a trade, could mean Zibanejad moving to a wing (the move that I personally would not advocate as I'm quite happy with Ziba at C).

In my defense, I never took it like that at all. I just said that in a year or two, we'd have a better idea of what the best plan of attack would be.

Not saying you're referring to me, but I want to make sure I'm not lumped in with those of us who think all our prospects reach their potential at 20 years old and then rag on them because they're not good enough.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think it's a good point---when people start talking about Zibanejad, Kreider, Zuccarello and Buchnevich as 1st liners I kind of get lost. They might be getting the best ice time but if enough production isn't there we shouldn't be thinking of them as in any way equal to players who are producing at much higher levels. To me Zuccarello's 53 points is pretty much on the lower end of what I think is acceptable for a 1st line player. That the rest of our top forwards are in the 30's and 40's tells me that we really don't have a legit 1st line. I'm not saying that any of them are bad players but they are not top line players. We need guys getting into the 60's and 70's anyway---that will be progress and I know this guy or that guy with his P/60 but it ain't the same thing as actual production.

To go a step further I get the idea that most people here think are defense is our biggest problem and it certainly hasn't been all that good for the last couple seasons and particularly after this deadline but the offense has been a significant problem too. When we were going with 3 kind of scoring centers Stepan/Brassard/Hayes or Stepan/Zibanejad/Hayes scoring by committee it kind of worked but still we've never really approached the firepower of Pittsburgh or Washington who have legit 1st line players. This year are offense was really good at times and not so good at others. There's quite a bit of room of room for improvement at forward too.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm really interested to see what Zibanejad can do if he can just stay healthy for a season. Sure he'll have his ups and downs and scoring droughts, but missing a bunch of games every year and then taking another bunch of games to get back into things really has left it hard for me to tell how good he is.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Howden with 1.3(ish) Points per game in the playoffs. I like that a whole lot.

Can anyone offer any insight into how he’s been (all around) throughout these games? I know he’s been a beast faceoff wise as well, no?

Those numbers are encouraging for sure.

Reactions: Ola

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I know we basically released the rights to Kovacs, but maybe we try him again?

He's a first liner in the SHL now. The year prior to playing in Hartford, he was a first liner in the Allsvenskan, the Swedish second tier. When he was called up to the SHL, he had 1 point in 4 games and a terrible -7. I watched him one game this year (notes earlier this thread) because Lulea was on the OneWorld TV channel. He looked good, engaged, lots of ice time, not sheltered. It's obviously just one game, so maybe @Ola or another Swede has thoughts on him. He seems to be improving year by year. Sticking in the AHL is an improvement over the Allsvenskan, being a first liner in the SHL is a big improvement on being a crappy AHLer. The SHL is at least even with the AHL, maybe a little better, so a guy who's a first liner there at the age of 21 may still have an NHL future.

At the exact same age, Fast had 35 points in 47 SHL games. Kovacs had 27 in 44. A little worse, but nothing crazy, and Fast had much better linemates. Same size, similar speed, and Kovacs should have a solid two-way game because that's how you're taught to play in Sweden (it's not a coincidence that most of our Sweden-trained forwards from Dahlen to Lias are all-around guys - it's how kids are trained there from their version of Peewee to the SHL). I wonder if anyone knows more about him. Could we get another Fast here?

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

He's a first liner in the SHL now. The year prior to playing in Hartford, he was a first liner in the Allsvenskan, the Swedish second tier. When he was called up to the SHL, he had 1 point in 4 games and a terrible -7. I watched him one game this year (notes earlier this thread) because Lulea was on the OneWorld TV channel. He looked good, engaged, lots of ice time, not sheltered. It's obviously just one game, so many @Ola or another Swede has thoughts on him. He seems to be improving year by year. Sticking in the AHL is an improvement over the Allsvenskan, being a first liner in the SHL is a big improvement on being a crappy AHLer. The SHL is at least even with the AHL, maybe a little better, so a guy who's a first liner there at the age of 21 may still have an NHL future.

At the exact same age, Fast had 35 points in 47 SHL games. Kovacs had 27 in 44. A little worse, but nothing crazy, and Fast had much better linemates. Same size, similar speed, and Kovacs should have a solid two-way game because that's how you're taught to play in Sweden (it's not a coincidence that most of our Sweden-trained forwards from Dahlen to Lias are all-around guys - it's how kids are trained there from their version of Peewee to the SHL). I wonder if anyone knows more about him. Could we get another Fast here?

Kovacs could get there in terms of on ice ability. Mentally? I am not sure.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

He's the same age Crawley and younger than Virta, both of whom we just drafted in 2017. We released Kovacs at the age of 20. Seems a bit premature. Maybe he grows more mature with age? Why give up on a kid before he can buy a bottle of beer legally in the US?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Yupp that's the sad truth. I loved Kovacs, but mentally he just wasn't there. It's not all his fault, though. He has ADHD and dyslexia. And the death of his friend is obviously terrible and can lead to all sorts of mental issues. He can still turn it around and make the NHL, but it'll be harder for him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He's a first liner in the SHL now. The year prior to playing in Hartford, he was a first liner in the Allsvenskan, the Swedish second tier. When he was called up to the SHL, he had 1 point in 4 games and a terrible -7. I watched him one game this year (notes earlier this thread) because Lulea was on the OneWorld TV channel. He looked good, engaged, lots of ice time, not sheltered. It's obviously just one game, so maybe @Ola or another Swede has thoughts on him. He seems to be improving year by year. Sticking in the AHL is an improvement over the Allsvenskan, being a first liner in the SHL is a big improvement on being a crappy AHLer. The SHL is at least even with the AHL, maybe a little better, so a guy who's a first liner there at the age of 21 may still have an NHL future.

I remember people bashing Kovacs after his AHL season which i thought was unfair. He was one of the youngest players in the league.

Reactions: Joey Bones and bl02

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He's the same age Crawley and younger than Virta, both of whom we just drafted in 2017. We released Kovacs at the age of 20. Seems a bit premature. Maybe he grows more mature with age? Why give up on a kid before he can buy a bottle of beer legally in the US?

Yeah, as I understood it Kovacs was really down and there were significant concerns for his well being. They sat down with him and asked what can we do, hockey is secondary, and he wanted out so we released him.

He moved 1,000 kilometers to the most northern team in Sweden (close to the artic circle) and got away from everything. It’s a slow place to be. McDs have a drive-in for snowmobiles. Everyone is a communist but are pissed because they can’t hunt wolfs. Seems to have been a good spot for him.

BTW I saw a longer interview with him, it was a bunch of questions from the fans. He looked very stable and like he is in a good place.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I mean he had a pretty horrfic life event and his friend died. Might be easier said than done, which is a shame because I liked him a lot as a prospect

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kovacs is a lost cause.
Lost cause in what respect? That seems harsh.

Anyway, he wanted to go home, had a lot going on. We accommodated him as we always do (proud of that aspect of the organization) and he went back to his country and flourished. Good for him. I wouldn't ever expect him to come back though.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Lias is a good skater. He’s not a burner but he’s shifty and us a solid foundation very strong on his skates. His issue isn’t being a bad skater as people on here have been saying, it’s more that he doesn’t have a great first step and acceleration. Hopefully he can improve that this summer because stops and starts and accelerating quicker are more important on the smaller NA ice than the European ice he’s played on his whole career.

Look at him in this clip from today and tell me he’s a bad skater. He’s smooth and solid.

Reactions: Phoicon

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lias is a good skater. He’s not a burner but he’s shifty and us a solid foundation very strong on his skates. His issue isn’t being a bad skater as people on here have been saying, it’s more that he doesn’t have a great first step and acceleration. Hopefully he can improve that this summer because stops and starts and accelerating quicker are more important on the smaller NA ice than the European ice he’s played on his whole career.

Look at him in this clip from today and tell me he’s a bad skater. He’s smooth and solid.

When I talk about skating it's the whole package, including things like first step and absolutely acceleration. Those are two really important elements to being a good skater.

Reactions: Phoicon

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Lost cause in what respect? That seems harsh.

Anyway, he wanted to go home, had a lot going on. We accommodated him as we always do (proud of that aspect of the organization) and he went back to his country and flourished. Good for him. I wouldn't ever expect him to come back though.

Extremely proud of the organization. Players health and general well-being always should come first.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

you lost me at lias is a good skater......

come on now he's not. he doesn't have a good first step he doesn't skate well with the puck he's got a lot of work to do to even get to Derek Stepan level. can he do it? well knowing the effort this kid puts in if anyone is going to it will be him. but let's not pretend he's a good skater. he's not not at all.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

come on now he's not. he doesn't have a good first step he doesn't skate well with the puck he's got a lot of work to do to even get to Derek Stepan level. can he do it? well knowing the effort this kid puts in if anyone is going to it will be him. but let's not pretend he's a good skater. he's not not at all.
lol what

Reactions: bhamill

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He's already a better skater than Stepan.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

That was a nice shift for sure, thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad