Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
WHL has solid highlights on their website. Better quality than most AHL teams haha.

Hajek's goal was nice, he's got a real heavy wrister. He looks to have the best combination of offense and defense in a 19/20-yo NYR blueline prospect in some time.

37 points in 54 points thus far. That extrapolates to 54 in 82 games. Can't be upset with that level of production from a two-way guy

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Does anyone else think that these second and third tier prospects like Hajek and Howden will have the experts more conservative and skewing towards predicting less potential to not expose themselves? They're just playing the odds. That's why I don't think the "well the experts say these guys are middling prospects" argument necessarily holds water.
Yeah, I think they pay a ton of attention to top prospects in any given year knowing that people will realize and/or remember if they get them right on or wildly wrong, while if they mess up on a later pick or generally lower end prospect at the time of their draft nobody will really care.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I think they pay a ton of attention to top prospects in any given year knowing that people will realize and/or remember if they get them right on or wildly wrong, while if they mess up on a later pick or generally lower end prospect at the time of their draft nobody will really care.

Right but I also feel like if they are to mess up with a later pick they'd prefer to mess up by underselling them rather than overselling them. Because if they undersell they'll be like everybody else. It's kind of the opposite with top prospects I would think. It reminds me of what people say about stock analysts, most of them just follow what everyone else is saying. I just think it's a little silly to use experts as your sole argument like some people do and think it's the be all end all.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Too many variables at this point. First things first - let’s see where these picks position. I would generally prefer not to consolidate picks to move up a few spots, but it is always depends on a particular situation with its own context.
Exactly. In a vacuum, I agree with you – but imagine last year if we could have bundled picks to jump up to #5OA and take Pettersson instead of Lias.

Andersson is a great prospect and we're lucky to have him, but Pettersson is looking very much like a legit 1C...

Reactions: bl02

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Exactly. In a vacuum, I agree with you – but imagine last year if we could have bundled picks to jump up to #5OA and take Pettersson instead of Lias.

Andersson is a great prospect and we're lucky to have him, but Pettersson is looking very much like a legit 1C...
The price, if Im not mistaken, was basically Chytil. Would you prefer Pettersson or Andersson + Chytil?

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I hear you. I’m just skeptical of it being a realist possibility. How many trade moves in to top 5 have we seen? It’s more like going after a late teen pick while giving up early or mid 20 and a second rounder.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Unless he somehow goes totally bust Pettersson is and is going to be a special player. Happy with Lias at this point but amazing how just being a pick or two away when you're 7th instead of 5th can make such a difference. Hopefully somehow we get a top 3 this upcoming draft otherwise please nothing lower than 7th.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think the challenge for Sundstrom wasn't his play, it was matching the hype. By the time he got to the NHL, the Rangers had fans expecting 30 goals and 70 points every season.

Injuries also started to really diminish his game when he was about 26.

Hype is something I try not to pay attention to. I don't follow these guys closely before they get to the NHL, so I'm dependent on the posters that watch them before they get to the NHL.

I take all of their opinions with a mountain of salt, because like all sports fans, I trust my own beliefs more than anyone else's once they are here.

I believe that Vesey has suffered as much as anyone from the advanced hype. He might be the most disparaged Ranger on this site, and personally I don't think he's near as bad as others here do. He's just not the offensive force that many here anticipated.

It's amazing to me how many Rangers the fans have hated through the years. It's usually defensemen and historically the most hated have been the big non-physical defensemen. At the same time, some of the worst Rangers through the years have been beloved by the fanbase, especially those that are especially physical.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Hartford is going to have a lot of young talent against next year.

You're talking about at least two defenseman in Hajek and Day, Howden, maybe one or both of Andersson and Chytil, Ronning, Gettinger.

If both Andersson and Chytil aren't in NY next year, it will be a huge disappointment.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No, I'll take the near guarantee 1C over a first line winger and a 2/3c hybrid.

Would you rather have Buchnevich and Hayes or Barzal?

Well that's a bit different since we can see Barzal is likely going to be a elite player, Pettersson still has a lot to prove.

The way I see it:

Pettersson (70-90 point player)

vs

Chytil (55-75 point player) + Andersson (40-60 point player, great 2 way player, leader).

I'd rather have the 2 players. I guess it depends how high someone thinks of Pettersson. If you see him as a top 3 future forward in the league, then I can see taking him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No, I'll take the near guarantee 1C over a first line winger and a 2/3c hybrid.

Would you rather have Buchnevich and Hayes or Barzal?

It is not exactly like that. It’s about hedging your bet. Like for the possibility if neither Pettersson nor one of Chytil or Andersson turn into what they were projected.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Way too early to make that call. If anything I'd take production in the AHL over the SHL, even if he is lighting that league on fire

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
if pettersson actually outproduces chytil in the NHL in their primes by 20 points then u take pettersson and do what you can do acquire an andersson type player (2nd line 2 way guy).

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I expect both Chytil and Andersson to play for the Rangers next year......at least some games. It wouldn't surprise to see either or both of them spend a considerable part of the year in Hartford though. They are both better prospects than someone like Lettieri--who isn't bad mind you and became the go to back and forth forward prospect this year and who also could win a full time job or be shuttling back and forth. For Andersson, Chytil figure anywhere between 15 games to the entire season with the Rangers. They are both better than Nieves as well who has a very good chance of being 4th line center for us next year. If Howden comes in and can insert himself into the back and forth from NY to Hartford conversation that would be good too.

A lot will depend on the Rangers depth next year, injuries etc.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right but I also feel like if they are to mess up with a later pick they'd prefer to mess up by underselling them rather than overselling them. Because if they undersell they'll be like everybody else. It's kind of the opposite with top prospects I would think. It reminds me of what people say about stock analysts, most of them just follow what everyone else is saying. I just think it's a little silly to use experts as your sole argument like some people do and think it's the be all end all.

I think there’s a lot of merit to that argument.

It’s why I’ve always tended to listen more intently to the friends and colleagues I know who can tell me the prospects that are out of the spotlight, rather than the ones who can just tell me about the prospects everyone knows.

It’s probably why my favorite prospect in every draft is very rarely a guy who gets widespread attention as a crown jewel type.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think some people also don’t take into account how a player might evolve or grow from where they were when they were drafted.

For example, Brett Howden is almost exactly a year older than Cody Glass. Cody Glass is often noted as one of the game’s better offensive prospects, whereas Brett Howden has been described as a guy who might not have the highest offensive ceiling.

And yet, at the same point in his D1 season, Howden actually had 4 more goals than Glass does now and only 8 less points overall (through 58 games).

While it’s certainly true that a stat line doesn’t tell the whole story and there are many variables behind those numbers, as someone who has seen a lot of both players I would strongly argue that Howden’s offensive growth and his potential have been undervalued in his post-draft career thus far.

I think Howden has definitely pushed the envelope of what someone might reasonably expect from him. And yet I read reports from people that are at best, outdated, and at worst, probably more fiction than fact.

The point being that the internet has made it very easy for people to share their opinions on things. But not all opinions are created equally. Identifying a top 10 pick as a solid prospect isn’t nearly as impressive as being able to spot good talent in later picks.

Last edited:

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Someone please tell me that we have a player in our system already who can lit up the league. And that we can have a decent shot at Zadina, Dahlin or Svechnikov [my favorite] and that we can still tank next year and some way some how still get number 1 overall and get Conor Hughes. Please someone tell me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad