Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 12.14.18) *Part III*

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Mark Jooris I think is an RPI guy. Either that or Union. Darren Puppa was a pretty decent NHL goalie. Oates and Juneau. I have a pal who use to be an assistant coach for a junior team out of Binghamton NY coached by one time NY Rangers prospect (early 70's) Pierre Laganiere---his kid (who is in the Marine Corps now) played on the same team with Jerry D'Amigo.

I know the family very well, grew up playing with the younger brother. Our older brothers played together. My brother was on Union a bit before the program really took off. Jerry is a good buddy of mine. We never technically played with Jerry. There was a summer of juniors before Jerry took off we skated with him. A lot of summer stuff between juniors/college guys beyond that.

Small world.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's not "kind of setting the bar low."

I went to pretty much every game of the season (home games and decent-ish traveling games) for 7 years. They were pretty much the bright spots while I was schooling/working in the area, along with a few others.

The team as a whole was disappointing more often than not.

Sure, they produced some pro-talent, but nothing NHL-caliber in years aside from Pirri and potentially Bailen (he never really got a shot outside of Rochester for 9 games and I think he could be a decent NHLer). Then you have Haggerty/D'Amigo/Burgdoerfer who are AHLers at best. Heck, I even thought Allen York would be a good backup in the NHL, but he's in the NCHL right now years after a good stint in Columbus.

The bar for the RPI men's program has been low for a while, and I don't have too much faith in Smith right now, but it's still early.
Sorry, I interpreted that comment as "bright spots coming out of the program" as in they then became something worthwhile. If you meant it as they were the bright spots in the program while you were there, then my bad, I misunderstood. I just saw names tossed around like Juneau and Oates and Pirri, then Melanson and Haggerty, and thought we were just talking success stories.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Sorry, I interpreted that comment as "bright spots coming out of the program" as in they then became something worthwhile. If you meant it as they were the bright spots in the program while you were there, then my bad, I misunderstood. I just saw names tossed around like Juneau and Oates and Pirri, then Melanson and Haggerty, and thought we were just talking success stories.
Adam Oates is my god.

Yeah I was talking about recent times. I left the area about two years ago, but still watch live when I can (thank goodness for free live HD streams of home games).

The hockey program right now is not in the best shape.

But, if he wants to set himself up for a good post-hockey education, RPI is good.

Reactions: nyr2k2

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Tonight

UConn v Northeastern live 7pm Eastern on NESN with replay at midnight.

Minnesota v Wisconsin 8pm Eastern on FoxSports Wisconsin with replay at 1am.

Tomorrow

Northeastern v UMass Lowell 7pm E on NESN (Alternate)

Minnesota v Wisconsin 8pm E on FS Wisconsin replay at 3am.

Reactions: Joey Bones

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If anyone catches a stream of Wisconsin to watch Miller, make sure to look for Nanne on the other side and see if they deploy him stroctlsas a defenseman or also up front. I haven't tried to watch any Minnesota games this year.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
If anyone catches a stream of Wisconsin to watch Miller, make sure to look for Nanne on the other side and see if they deploy him stroctlsas a defenseman or also up front. I haven't tried to watch any Minnesota games this year.
I’m probably not going to be home until it’s over, but I think I’ll be able to watch a replay of it

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Mark Jooris I think is an RPI guy... Darren Puppa was a pretty decent NHL goalie. Oates and Juneau.

Josh Jooris's dad went to RPI, he used to wear his RPI '85 championship ring to Union games, maybe partly to spark his kid and tease the coaches.
Felt bad for Josh missing Union's title run in '14 but an undrafted kid couldn't turn down an ELC from Flames.

RPI hasn't been that good recently but may be turning it around, they've had good ECAC start, beat Union back to back with Union coming in undefeated and still Union's only losses.

ECAC is a good league to develop in, even without the cache of HE or the B10 or NCHC.
its like Huska at UConn, some of you think it was a mistake, but if you're not a blue-chip prospect, any D1 program is a good place to develop as long as the coach is decent

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Nanne played D in the 2.5 periods I watched. He's also the shortest d man I've ever seen.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Barron was scoreless, and so we're Nanne and Miller.

Huska stopped 36/39 but allowed 2 in the third for the L. Wall allowed 2 goals on 11 shots but his team scored twoce in the final 3 minutes to pull out a tie.

Nico Gross scored a goal.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I didn't watch Barron last night because I'm not paying $35 for a two game stretch. The WCHA needs to put in an a la carte option.

As for the RPI stuff. I think it's a good pick for Kjellberg. They can only get better and even he represents an upgrade in talent on that team.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Barron was scoreless, and so we're Nanne and Miller.

Huska stopped 36/39 but allowed 2 in the third for the L. Wall allowed 2 goals on 11 shots but his team scored twoce in the final 3 minutes to pull out a tie.

Nico Gross scored a goal.

Not a bad start for Gross. Would hope the penalty taking ceases, but almost at .50 PPG!!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So since the conversation is so positive in this thread lately I'm gonna pop in and remind everyone that Olof Lindbom is still a thing.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Listening to the radio feed, but Barron out there to defend a 1 goal lead with Northern Michigan’s goalie pulled and he blocked a shot. He also has 6 shots on goal tonight (can’t find the box scores that included total shot attempts)

Edit: Also took the face off during the 6 on 4 with 6 seconds left, but he lost it. The announcers mentioned at one point during the 2nd that he’s won like 2/3’s of his face offs taken this year

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Listening to the radio feed, but Barron out there to defend a 1 goal lead with Northern Michigan’s goalie pulled and he blocked a shot. He also has 6 shots on goal tonight (can’t find the box scores that included total shot attempts)

Edit: Also took the face off during the 6 on 4 with 6 seconds left, but he lost it. The announcers mentioned at one point during the 2nd that he’s won like 2/3’s of his face offs taken this year
Nice to see him off to a really good start to the year. His brother is going to be a top pick next year

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Nanne had a secondary powerplay assist on Minnesota’s first goal

Edit: @nyr2k2 I only watched maybe like 10-15 minutes of the Wisconsin-Minnesota game tonight, but from what I could tell Nanne was on D the whole game

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate

He's been taking some faceoffs on his strong side when he's on freshman righty Regush's wing. Probably taken some even after they put Andreev with him. Still playing mostly wing I'd say though.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So since the conversation is so positive in this thread lately I'm gonna pop in and remind everyone that Olof Lindbom is still a thing.
Well, he's injured and has been basically all year, so can't be too upsrt performance-wise. Not happy with the pick but can't judge anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad