Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.12.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
How could you see a guy like Schneider as a complimentary guy? He's 18. Drafted in the first round. Has everything you want in a top pairing, shutdown defenseman. Size, skating, hockey IQ, toughness, physical play, strength. Girardi became a first pair guy and wasn't freakin drafted. I love how this board continues to have make believe scouts. We have our opinions as fans but the way people talk about young prospects here like they know their future is beyond absurd.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I mean, Dan Girardi was a 1st pairing defenseman at one point. To some extent that's I think what we want out of one of these guys...Dan Girardi at his peak (plus more puck moving ability).
Basically I mean I think these are the guys who you want to be able to play big minutes against top players and compliment your other, "real" 1st pairing top defenseman. Guys who are hard to play against for the other team, who can do the job defensively, physically, but still be able to advance the puck and facilitate the transition or offense even if they're not going to be scoring tons of points.
They're not the ideal of a top pairing defenseman if you believe they should all be like Hedman or something but they're players who can play big important minutes and help the team in a variety of ways if you pair them with a complimentary partner

Basically, most teams aren't gonna be able to have two all-star legit 1st pairing defensemen to put together on their top pairing. You have one excellent player and another guy who compliments them well. Guys like Schneider I see as the complimentary guy, who can be very valuable and very good as long as the situation is correct.

Girardi might not be a bad comparison though I think Schneider's a better skater and has a bit more of a mean streak.

I also expect though that the Rangers will have a deeper defense than when they were running with Girardi, McDonagh, Staal and Stralman.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I think so too Eco and that is saying something. That defense with Hank was more than capable of winning multiple cups. Damn shame they never could get Hank an consistent offense in front of him. Probably my biggest disappointment as a Rangers fan other than the finals where the moron refs stole two games from them.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I also expect though that the Rangers will have a deeper defense than when they were running with Girardi, McDonagh, Staal and Stralman.

That would be surprising IMO, because those 4 formed a fantastic top 4 when they were all in peak form. Klein is one hell of a “#5” as well. I hope you’re right - maybe I’m more bearish than others are.

If our defense is stronger than 2012-2015, this team will be significantly better.

Reactions: eco's bones

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
How could you see a guy like Schneider as a complimentary guy? He's 18. Drafted in the first round. Has everything you want in a top pairing, shutdown defenseman. Size, skating, hockey IQ, toughness, physical play, strength. Girardi became a first pair guy and wasn't freakin drafted. I love how this board continues to have make believe scouts. We have our opinions as fans but the way people talk about young prospects here like they know their future is beyond absurd.

Because even top 10 draft picks don't pan out to be top pairing players. Even top 5 don't always. Erik Johnson never really panned out to be that real #1 guy.
He has a lot of tools but let's also not pretend he's a sure thing to be a top pairing defenseman either. A "complimentary" top pairing player isn't a bad thing or a bad label.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That would be surprising IMO, because those 4 formed a fantastic top 4 when they were all in peak form. Klein is one hell of a “#5” as well. I hope you’re right - maybe I’m more bearish than others are.

If our defense is stronger than 2012-2015, this team will be significantly better.

Well I see Robertson and Schneider becoming strong defenders--K'Andre being a hybrid offense/defense all situations guy. Lindgren is also a very good defense oriented player and then you have the guys that can create offense like DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist and maybe Jones and then there are a few other options that might work out--Reunanen, Hajek, Rykov etc. Might add that Trouba is not that old either. There's a lot there to work with and there's no way they're all going to fit and some will be moved on for other assets.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Well I see Robertson and Schneider becoming strong defenders--K'Andre being a hybrid offense/defense all situations guy. Lindgren is also a very good defense oriented player and then you have the guys that can create offense like DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist and maybe Jones and then there are a few other options that might work out--Reunanen, Hajek, Rykov etc. Might add that Trouba is not that old either. There's a lot there to work with and there's no way they're all going to fit and some will be moved on for other assets.
Yeah if Trouba, Schneids, Robertson and Lindy provide muscle and edge, great support for the more creative guys, whether Fox, ADA, Nils, Tarmo, Jones. And K'Andre to boot, however he develops.
Gonna be fun to watch the D evolve these coming seasons

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Tarmo had an assist, was -1, and played 24:29.

Pajuniemi had a goal, was +1, and played 13:26. The goal, looked like a defender fell down near center ice, Pajuniemi picked up the puck, came down the left wing, and scored on a mini-breakaway.

Aaltonen had an assist, was +1, and played 13:41. That TOI was 8th among forwards. In Mestis.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Tarmo had an assist, was -1, and played 24:29.

Pajuniemi had a goal, was +1, and played 13:26. The goal, looked like a defender fell down near center ice, Pajuniemi picked up the puck, came down the left wing, and scored on a mini-breakaway.

Aaltonen had an assist, was +1, and played 13:41. That TOI was 8th among forwards. In Mestis.

Aaltonen went from one of the most intriguing picks to one of the most underwhelming in the span of 12 months.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sure but when you analyse any goal in any league you can find something the defenseman did wrong :laugh:

I know but getting a bit of body on him there seemed such an easy thing to do. If I were coaching that D would have been sitting for at least a period if not the rest of the game. It does bring back a memory---Rangers down 5-1 in the first game of the 1971-72 Stanley Cup finals go on a tear and tie the game 5-5. All the momentum on our side and then Ace Bailey--a 4th liner and perhaps the Bruins worst forward (who had 0 goals for the entire regular season) fakes Brad Park (arguably the second best defenseman in the NHL) out of his skates--walks around him and scores the winning goal. Brad Park's book (which preceded that season) titled ironically Play the Man (as in don't fall for the juking and jiving--always take the body) notwithstanding. So........defensemen do f*** up and that one f***ed up to Lauri's advantage. Probably Bailey's greatest moment as an NHL player there (other than lifting the Cup). Bailey later on became a scout for the LA Kings and died on 9-11 in one of the two planes that crashed into the towers.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Paju just seems to score and score and score. He has the touch. Hope it can translate to the NHL one day. He will have to make the rest of his game competent enough to stick as well

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah #47 there is like a 10+ year veteran of top-level European hockey. That is absolutely awful defending. Not only does he let the guy go to the net untouched, he let's him through the crease. I mean good for Pajuniemi for taking advantage of it, but man, that's embarrassing.

Reactions: eco's bones

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Paju just seems to score and score and score. He has the touch. Hope it can translate to the NHL one day. He will have to make the rest of his game competent enough to stick as well
Knowing the Rangers luck he will be one of those too good for Europe but sucks in North American. I hope I am wrong. I like his potential.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Knowing the Rangers luck he will be one of those too good for Europe but sucks in North American. I hope I am wrong. I like his potential.

That's the case with probably 95% of players drafted where he was selected. Once you get to rounds 5, 6 and 7, if you get a player that plays for you, even in the AHL, that's a positive

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I know but getting a bit of body on him there seemed such an easy thing to do. If I were coaching that D would have been sitting for at least a period if not the rest of the game..

Yeah #47 there is like a 10+ year veteran of top-level European hockey. That is absolutely awful defending. Not only does he let the guy go to the net untouched, he let's him through the crease. I mean good for Pajuniemi for taking advantage of it, but man, that's embarrassing.

I think there’s more to this play, though. With the angle Pajuniemi was coming from I thought he’d be shooting the puck soon after he passed the circle and I bet both the goalie and defenseman prepared for the same and didn’t expect him to keep going. We talk about it all the time and I’m sure we’ve seen and will see NHL defensemen make similar mistakes (or forced into making a wrong decision) not all the time but regularly enough.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think there’s more to this play, though. With the angle Pajuniemi was coming from I thought he’d be shooting the puck soon after he passed the circle and I bet both the goalie and defenseman prepared for the same and didn’t expect him to keep going. We talk about it all the time and I’m sure we’ve seen and will see NHL defensemen make similar mistakes (or forced into making a wrong decision) not all the time but regularly enough.

Yeah. The best players have moments like this. Pronger was embarrassed by Dawes, Ovechkin had that "controller disconnected" moment against us in the play offs one year. Isolated incidents happen for everyone. No one is giving 100% every shift.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah. The best players have moments like this. Pronger was embarrassed by Dawes, Ovechkin had that "controller disconnected" moment against us in the play offs one year. Isolated incidents happen for everyone. No one is giving 100% every shift.

The example of Dawes walking Pronger is for somewhat different discussion - where a star player makes an occasional mistake. In this case Pajuniemi is probably more of “star” at this level who capitalized on a half-decent scoring opportunity by forcing both defenseman and goalie into making a pretty egregious mistake.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I'd be more excited about Paju if he didn't remind me so much of Ty Ronning.

what about him reminds you of ronning? besides both wearing skates when they play hockey i'm not seeing much lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad