Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.12.21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Paju can put the puck in the net and be competent defensively he'll have a spot in the NHL. Michael Ryder and Ales Kotalik are two players who did one thing above average and couldn't do much else.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If Paju can put the puck in the net and be competent defensively he'll have a spot in the NHL. Michael Ryder and Ales Kotalik are two players who did one thing above average and couldn't do much else.

Working on his two way game will help him more than anything else--at least as far as playing for the Rangers. What the Rangers have in front of him right now he's got almost no path to a top line wing position. Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Kreider, Buchnevich, Kravtsov. I think Pajuniemi has talent mind you---he's just not in the same range as any of those 6 and then there's Lemieux, Gauthier, Barron and maybe two/three other guys. If he were a Pittsburgh, San Jose, Boston, Washington prospect he'd probably be looking pretty good in those teams prospect lists. If he sticks with it I certainly could see him making an NHL roster one day if that's what he wants. I'm skeptical about his chances with the Rangers though.

Reactions: Leetch3

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Working on his two way game will help him more than anything else--at least as far as playing for the Rangers. What the Rangers have in front of him right now he's got almost no path to a top line wing position. Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Kreider, Buchnevich, Kravtsov. I think Pajuniemi has talent mind you---he's just not in the same range as any of those 6 and then there's Lemieux, Gauthier, Barron and maybe two/three other guys. If he were a Pittsburgh, San Jose, Boston, Washington prospect he'd probably be looking pretty good in those teams prospect lists. If he sticks with it I certainly could see him making an NHL roster one day if that's what he wants. I'm skeptical about his chances with the Rangers though.
His value may be as a piece in a future trade. Not all bad....

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

No it's not bad....and we hold his rights until June 1, 2022. So that's two more years. I don't think we would get a lot for him--maybe a 4th or a 5th from or about what we put into him. It's kind of like Nico Gross. I think if the Rangers weren't so stacked with D prospects he would be a guy you'd easily sign. In the end he was a victim of the numbers game.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Really was my next thought. As long as he continues to score he will have some value in a trade. So I certainly hope he does because its just one more bullet in the chamber for JG as he navigates the roster management over the next 1-2 years. Paju keeps scoring and he can be an added piece in a trade. Maybe the team has a great year and they feel a 3C/4C is a key piece to add, the Rangers and another interested team could be offering a 3rd round pick but NYR could tack on Pajuniemi and separate themselves from the pack. Its the beauty of collecting so many draft picks and assets over the last 3-4 years.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Well I see Robertson and Schneider becoming strong defenders--K'Andre being a hybrid offense/defense all situations guy. Lindgren is also a very good defense oriented player and then you have the guys that can create offense like DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist and maybe Jones and then there are a few other options that might work out--Reunanen, Hajek, Rykov etc. Might add that Trouba is not that old either. There's a lot there to work with and there's no way they're all going to fit and some will be moved on for other assets.
Take as many kicks at the can as you can and hopefully someone (or more than one) works out to be very good.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Canadian WJC team in Red Deer Alberta which includes Schneider, Robertson and Garand have gone into quarantine for two weeks as at least two players and a staff member have tested positive for Covid. This also shuts down games over the next two weekends with Canadian University teams and there's a weekend after that with two more games that they're now doubtful about.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lindbum was loaned to Malmo in the SHL for a game as Malmo's regular backup was injured. The loan is for one game.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The Canadian WJC team in Red Deer Alberta which includes Schneider, Robertson and Garand have gone into quarantine for two weeks as at least two players and a staff member have tested positive for Covid. This also shuts down games over the next two weekends with Canadian University teams and there's a weekend after that with two more games that they're now doubtful about.

That's a shame that they miss out on that experience. Hopefully the boys get in some ice time and work on their skills. Garand may have a shot at the backup but the London Knights goalie looks to have the edge. That's where missing games hurts a guy, not sure if it was Dylan's time this year, but he did not play himself out of a spot.

Robertson looked a little crisper out there from what I would isolate from last year. You see signs of that physical maturity taking place, better athleticism. Stronger pushes with the skates, better starts and stops. What's intriguing to me about him is that if he keeps working on his puck skills and gets stronger, you could have a player in the vein of an Esa Lindell. Overall I liked what I saw, but he's not a guy that's going to make a deep left side this year.

Schneider I thought he got better period by period. Really settled the game in at times after some choppy play. You could see the structure he and Robertson brought as a pairing, and I really liked seeing that. I thought the game veered into a more pro style back and forth. That said, you could tell he was rusty to start and the things that he needs to improve are evident at higher speeds which is working on his puck handling while skating laterally and some more advanced maneuvers that can counter faster and more aggressive players that he will undoubtedly face at higher levels.
  • When walking the line: Using short flip dekes over sticks. A hard caram pass off the board where you have an open lane to where the forward downlow can get to the puck. I would also skate out of the zone to maintain possession if the winger has a chance to make a break for it, you still control the play, but minimize the oppositional odds by giving up a potential off-side versus a scoring chance.
  • To win and protect a loose puck in mid ice: Engage the oppositional player with a stick check then rotating in with a hip check. This eliminates the man and frees up time and space for the next play with the puck.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That's a shame that they miss out on that experience. Hopefully the boys get in some ice time and work on their skills. Garand may have a shot at the backup but the London Knights goalie looks to have the edge. That's where missing games hurts a guy, not sure if it was Dylan's time this year, but he did not play himself out of a spot.

Robertson looked a little crisper out there from what I would isolate from last year. You see signs of that physical maturity taking place, better athleticism. Stronger pushes with the skates, better starts and stops. What's intriguing to me about him is that if he keeps working on his puck skills and gets stronger, you could have a player in the vein of an Esa Lindell. Overall I liked what I saw, but he's not a guy that's going to make a deep left side this year.

Schneider I thought he got better period by period. Really settled the game in at times after some choppy play. You could see the structure he and Robertson brought as a pairing, and I really liked seeing that. I thought the game veered into a more pro style back and forth. That said, you could tell he was rusty to start and the things that he needs to improve are evident at higher speeds which is working on his puck handling while skating laterally and some more advanced maneuvers that can counter faster and more aggressive players that he will undoubtedly face at higher levels.
  • When walking the line: Using short flip dekes over sticks. A hard caram pass off the board where you have an open lane to where the forward downlow can get to the puck. I would also skate out of the zone to maintain possession if the winger has a chance to make a break for it, you still control the play, but minimize the oppositional odds by giving up a potential off-side versus a scoring chance.
  • To win and protect a loose puck in mid ice: Engage the oppositional player with a stick check then rotating in with a hip check. This eliminates the man and frees up time and space for the next play with the puck.

The clips I saw from TSN said Canada might name its team right before the quarantine is over---they're running out of time. So some players maybe on the cusp are not going to get another chance to change minds.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pajuniemi scored again, PPG right at the end. His team scored 4 goals in 6 minutes (with under 8 to play) to win 6-4.

Aaltonen had a goal.

Ragnarsson not on the score sheet.

Hajek scoreless.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No points for Själin.

No points for Henriksson.

No points for Reunanen and he was -3.

Pajuniemi had an assist.

Aaltonen had an assist.