Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.27.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
We are going to have a log jam at goalie. Right now we can manage but sooner or later one of the goalies in HFD is going to need their shot at the NHL while the other one needs to be playing 80% of the games in HFD.

It’s unfortunate Hank still has another year on his contract, would make things so easy if this was his last year.

Would losing Geo really be such a big deal?
5991CB20-F764-4D30-B41A-0B86A1AB0E52.png

Every off-season there is a myriad of solid young goalies available. We haven’t been super attractive to them with Hank as a roadblock. But with Hanks age and Benny — we could basically get anyone we want.

I think we are much more likely to be able to upgrade Geo if we trade him this year or at the draft or waived him, than getting more value from Geo.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
View attachment 280039

Every off-season there is a myriad of solid young goalies available. We haven’t been super attractive to them with Hank as a roadblock. But with Hanks age and Benny — we could basically get anyone we want.

I think we are much more likely to be able to upgrade Geo if we trade him this year or at the draft or waived him, than getting more value from Geo.

Those stats are meaningless cause they don’t factor how awful our team is. Both of our goalies have bad traditional stats and yeah recently there have been some real stinkers but overall our goaltending has been phenomenal from both guys holding us in games

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm sure the Rangers would prefer to keep Georgiev and Shesty to battle it out for a while. Doubt Gorton wants to be on the other end of a Rask deal where the Leafs picked Justin Pogge over Tuukka. Better to run the risk of one of them driving down their trade value over time than kicking yourself for dealing away the better player.

I still don't buy the idea that Hank is content to ride it out with the Rangers. A guy that competitive not wanting another shot or two at a cup just seems too far fetched.

I'd hope that he'd realize the value in keeping two young goalies, especially since he was the one who stole Rask from Toronto. :laugh:

I know it gets a bit hairy when you factor in Georgiev's upcoming waiver requirement, but I don't think it's going to be impossible to figure out how to split the ice time between the three of them through next season. I don't remember who, but someone made a great point the other day about how keeping Shesty in the AHL is a good way to help build up his conditioning to handle the workload of an NHL season. Vasilevsky never got the chance to do that in Tampa, and he totally burnt out at the end of his first two seasons as a starter.

Reactions: egelband and Trxjw

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
View attachment 280039

Might as well buy out Lundqvist then with that .905 sv%

upload_2019-11-20_14-27-6.png

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't know if we'll be better points wise this year from last year but I already think this team is better than last year's team. The defense is going through growing pains but even that's better...as in we have better personnel who are going to improve. If Zibanejad hadn't got hurt we'd probably have another win or two. We're going to have to find more depth at forward but that's not necessarily going to be very hard. I would say though that that is our weakest area now....not our defense it's our bottom 6 forwards. We will probably grow a couple of those and you can always find those types as long as you have enough cap space.

I think we're better in some areas and worse in others, but it's hard to judge this early in the year. Still, I don't think we'll be cup contenders at any point in Hank's remaining contract years. Could he extend? Sure, but that's a heck of a waiting game for him to play.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
No.

Geo is worth more to the team in a trade. Especially if Shesty keeps tracking the way he's been since he's been drafted and Huska keeps improving enough to be a competent back up (he's always had the potential to be a low end starter).

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd hope that he'd realize the value in keeping two young goalies, especially since he was the one who stole Rask from Toronto. :laugh:

I know it gets a bit hairy when you factor in Georgiev's upcoming waiver requirement, but I don't think it's going to be impossible to figure out how to split the ice time between the three of them through next season. I don't remember who, but someone made a great point the other day about how keeping Shesty in the AHL is a good way to help build up his conditioning to handle the workload of an NHL season. Vasilevsky never got the chance to do that in Tampa, and he totally burnt out at the end of his first two seasons as a starter.

The funny thing is I think I remember reading a JFJ hit-piece years after that trade and whoever they quoted basically said that the Bruins wanted either Rask or Pogge, but the Leafs played heavy into the "keep the Canadian kid" idea and that's how they settled on moving Rask. On top of that, I think the Bruins were going to walk away from Raycroft if they couldn't trade him, so it was a double-whammy.

I do think giving Shesty a lot of starts in the AHL is a good thing. I don't have any problem with that at all. I tend to think we're making a bigger deal out of it as fans (myself in particular) than it really is but it's something interesting to discuss.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think we're better in some areas and worse in others, but it's hard to judge this early in the year. Still, I don't think we'll be cup contenders at any point in Hank's remaining contract years. Could he extend? Sure, but that's a heck of a waiting game for him to play.

I don't know if we'll extend or whether Henrik will want to continue but IMO we don't need to extend. As far as playoffs this year--we're certainly not going to get there if Mika is out much longer--whether we could with him in the lineup is a long shot. To me he's the Rangers best player though. It's hard with three rookie D but they should all be quality players and the experience from this year should make them all better players next year. It's a young D but I could see us having a really good group of young D in the relative near future. So that should solidify.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Robertson had a goal on four shots and was +3.

I am really interested to see where Robertson goes from a development standpoint.

His goal totals are up this year, but overall his offense is more or less on pace with where it was last season.

He dropped a little bit because he didn't necessarily have that extra offensive push that a lot of teams like to see in defensive prospects, but I can see the makings of a player whose offensive levels more or less stay consistent as a pro.

In other words he's not a 60 point guy in the WHL who struggles to make the NHL, let alone post 20 points. Instead, I see a kid who very well could be 40 point WHL defender, who posts 30 in the NHL.

That takes into account that offense isn't necessarily Robertson's calling card. It's moving the puck to more creative linemates, getting it out of his zone, and getting a play turned around and started.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He really has been the only bright spot for us TPS fans this season. He's been buzzing and would also have more points on almost any other team.
I was just looking up the Liga stats. And there is no one from TPS in the top 40 before today’s games. Henrik Larsson was listed at 45 and Pajuniemi next 61.

That is a good sign that Paju has still been able to produce despite the lack of offense and I would assume talent as well around him

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He really has been the only bright spot for us TPS fans this season. He's been buzzing and would also have more points on almost any other team.

What's the reason for him getting very limited ice time? There was a recent tweet that showed Pajuniemi as the 20th on the team in min-per-game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Those stats are meaningless cause they don’t factor how awful our team is. Both of our goalies have bad traditional stats and yeah recently there have been some real stinkers but overall our goaltending has been phenomenal from both guys holding us in games

To be honest, I think Geo gets a bit of a free lunch just because he matches Hank. But with Hank — besides the odd couple of games here and there — probably is a 20-50 goalie in this league it doesn’t say much to me.

If we didn’t have Geo, we would probably have an Anders Nilsson or a Robin Lehner. Does Ottawa and Chicago have better Ds than we have?

Let’s say Geo went back to Russia, personal reasons or whatever, last summer. I honestly think that we would have a BETTER young goaltender next to Hank and infront of Shesty right now.

We would be super attractive for these young goalies that are on the verge. Mid 20s. A lot of size. We have Benny.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What's the reason for him getting very limited ice time? There was a recent tweet that showed Pajuniemi as the 20th on the team in min-per-game.
From what I can see, he's fifth in PP time (among forwards) and eleventh in PK time, leaving him eleventh among forwards overall. Looks like he gets most of his minutes 5-on-5 and would only get 2nd PP unit time and nothing on the PK. Not an explanation as to why, but I think that's why his minutes are comparatively low.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
To be honest, I think Geo gets a bit of a free lunch just because he matches Hank. But with Hank — besides the odd couple of games here and there — probably is a 20-50 goalie in this league it doesn’t say much to me.

If we didn’t have Geo, we would probably have an Anders Nilsson or a Robin Lehner. Does Ottawa and Chicago have better Ds than we have?

Let’s say Geo went back to Russia, personal reasons or whatever, last summer. I honestly think that we would have a BETTER young goaltender next to Hank and infront of Shesty right now.

We would be super attractive for these young goalies that are on the verge. Mid 20s. A lot of size. We have Benny.
IDK, maybe. Other teams have really good goalie coaches as well. Look no further than the Island and Mitch Korn, where they also have no one locked in long-term and only Sorokin in the system to challenge for a spot. I think there are plenty of places where young goalies would look to go; we might be one, but I don't know if we'd be the favorite.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Might as well buy out Lundqvist then with that .905 sv%

View attachment 280047

If we move Geo we get a pick and if we buy-out Hank we get nothing and 5.5m on the books next season and then 1.5m on the books the year after that.

But to be honest, I wouldn’t be that much against buying out Hank either if we really could use the cap space.

I think that a young team needs to find a — great — goalie. Geo is often better than Hank, but that says nothing for me since Hank is far from great. Geo is also very far from being great.

Keep the vet who contributes with leadership instead of deferring cap space down the road, move the other goalie that also is deadweight in Geo.

But this is just my opinion. I never claim to know much about goalies. I could definitely be missing stuff. Maybe Geo is a diamond in the rough that is going to have a breakthrough any day now.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I was just looking up the Liga stats. And there is no one from TPS in the top 40 before today’s games. Henrik Larsson was listed at 45 and Pajuniemi next 61.

That is a good sign that Paju has still been able to produce despite the lack of offense and I would assume talent as well around him
There's still talent on TPS, everyone is just having a bad year. They still have Ilari Filppula--he's 38 but a star in Liiga and he just had 35 in 44 last season. Korpikoski is their captain, he missed all of last season and hasn't really gotten going this year, but he's still very good. Zac Budish was a second round pick once, and he's always been a quality Liiga player (38 in 59 last year). They have some good players on defense, as well. I don't know why specifically they're having such a miserable year, but there's definitely talent on the roster. TPS wouldn't ice a team without some guys.

Their goaltending sucks, BTW. So it may be one of those things where they're behind it early and digging to get out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Cap space is an asset.

For sure, but Hanks total BO is 5.5+1.5 and his cap his is only 8.5, so it’s only a 1.5m net win.

But I am not against that either — but it’s conditional on that the brass don’t go ‘oh no we must get some vet leadership” and goes out and sign some 30+ vet forward to play on the 3-4 line for 4m per,

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
For sure, but Hanks total BO is 5.5+1.5 and his cap his is only 8.5, so it’s only a 1.5m net win.

But I am not against that either — but it’s conditional on that the brass don’t go ‘oh no we must get some vet leadership” and goes out and sign some 30+ vet forward to play on the 3-4 line for 4m per,

My point was that it's not really clever to base a decision whether or not to trade Georgiev on his save percentage on an abysmal Rangers team (at least defensively)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad