Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Thread (Player Stats/Info in Post #1; Updated 1.27.20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
IMO the real reason that Shesterkin is in the AHL is because we have two goalies and georgiev showed enough potential last year that you can't just give up on him. so shesterkin is in hartford as they try to punt and delay any decision for as long as possible. the fact that he won't be hurt by sometime in the ahl and can adapt to the NA game down there is a side benefit that made the move easier...but if georgiev wasn't around he would be in the NHL

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The other thing to consider is that Shestyerkin, for all of his talent, has not played a substantial workload in the last few years. Getting his total games up this year should be a priority. 55-60 games should be the goal no matter the level and the AHL gives him the best opportunity to get a bunch of games

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The only reasons for him to come back are his degree and another shot at a championship if they don't win this year. He's got nothing to prove personally on the ice at this point.

Considering players go back to school after turning pro, winning a championship is probably the only reason to stay. I believe Kreider did this.

I don't think there would be any rules against using Cornell facilities during the summer to train while taking classes to finish his degree. Not to mention, but a Cornell degree is a nice accomplishment for anyone, let alone a student-athlete.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The other thing to consider is that Shestyerkin, for all of his talent, has not played a substantial workload in the last few years. Getting his total games up this year should be a priority. 55-60 games should be the goal no matter the level and the AHL gives him the best opportunity to get a bunch of games
I agree with this, however they also like Huska and want him to play, too. And he is playing well. Right now I think Shesterkin has 10 games and Huska has 7. So you'll probably end up with more of a 44-32 type of thing, assuming both stay healthy and play there the whole year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If we had an injury on the right side, I know everyone would want to see Keane, but I totally wouldn't be surprised if they gave Raddysh a few games. I was so disappointed last season when he came here, because he was awful. Prior to that he was a very good defenseman at this level. AHL contract guy who earned an ELC, which doesn't happen as often as you'd think. He's playing excellent this year.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I agree with this, however they also like Huska and want him to play, too. And he is playing well. Right now I think Shesterkin has 10 games and Huska has 7. So you'll probably end up with more of a 44-32 type of thing, assuming both stay healthy and play there the whole year.
Shesterkin transitioned effortlessly. Don't look now--Huska's undefeated in regulation.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Exactly, and this is almost an understatement. He hasn’t played much at all. When/if he takes over in the NHL he must be ready to play 60 games. And there is a big difference between getting 20 shots a game for a dominant SKA 25 games a season give or take a few games.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
We are going to have a log jam at goalie. Right now we can manage but sooner or later one of the goalies in HFD is going to need their shot at the NHL while the other one needs to be playing 80% of the games in HFD.

It’s unfortunate Hank still has another year on his contract, would make things so easy if this was his last year.

Reactions: cheech70

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We are going to have a log jam at goalie. Right now we can manage but sooner or later one of the goalies in HFD is going to need their shot at the NHL while the other one needs to be playing 80% of the games in HFD.

It’s unfortunate Hank still has another year on his contract, would make things so easy if this was his last year.
Going to guess that there will be three way split at some point.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Going to guess that there will be three way split at some point.

I'm more cynical- I think Management would have no problem at all scratching Henrik next season as the third goalie until he asks out or retires.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm more cynical- I think Management would have no problem at all scratching Henrik next season as the third goalie until he asks out or retires.

Not sure scratching per se will be the treatment (maybe that includes being a backup) but I'd agree that if this season will play-out with Hank getting between 45%-55 NHL starts, then next season he might be getting just 1/3 or less of the starts and Shesterkin getting regular starts both in the NHL and AHL.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm sure the Rangers would prefer to keep Georgiev and Shesty to battle it out for a while. Doubt Gorton wants to be on the other end of a Rask deal where the Leafs picked Justin Pogge over Tuukka. Better to run the risk of one of them driving down their trade value over time than kicking yourself for dealing away the better player.

I still don't buy the idea that Hank is content to ride it out with the Rangers. A guy that competitive not wanting another shot or two at a cup just seems too far fetched.

Reactions: kovazub94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'm sure the Rangers would prefer to keep Georgiev and Shesty to battle it out for a while. Doubt Gorton wants to be on the other end of a Rask deal where the Leafs picked Justin Pogge over Tuukka. Better to run the risk of one of them driving down their trade value over time than kicking yourself for dealing away the better player.

I still don't buy the idea that Hank is content to ride it out with the Rangers. A guy that competitive not wanting another shot or two at a cup just seems too far fetched.

To me the goaltending thing could be more of an issue next year. Shesterkin seems okay doing the AHL thing this year. Playing the way he is though you don't want him down on the farm more than one year. As for Henrik I think he intends to play out his contract here. The way things look though there's no reason for us to re-sign him or at least at anywhere near what he's making. These two young goalies could use to leverage his salary down.....so to me there's a lot of ways the Rangers can play this if they're willing to move one of Georgiev/Shesterkin and if they can get great value back for them......so there's also 'ifs'. That's also keeping in mind Huska, Wall and Lindbom who are also all very good prospects. IMO if we're moving Georgiev or Shesterkin we would absolutely have to get back a 1st if not more. If Henrik can still play 30 some games pretty well two or three years from now and one of these other goalies is stepping up to push him and we can add some more legit talent in another area by moving Georgiev or Shesty it's something to think about.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
To me the goaltending thing could be more of an issue next year. Shesterkin seems okay doing the AHL thing this year. Playing the way he is though you don't want him down on the farm more than one year. As for Henrik I think he intends to play out his contract here. The way things look though there's no reason for us to re-sign him or at least at anywhere near what he's making. These two young goalies could use to leverage his salary down.....so to me there's a lot of ways the Rangers can play this if they're willing to move one of Georgiev/Shesterkin and if they can get great value back for them......so there's also 'ifs'. That's also keeping in mind Huska, Wall and Lindbom who are also all very good prospects. IMO if we're moving Georgiev or Shesterkin we would absolutely have to get back a 1st if not more. If Henrik can still play 30 some games pretty well two or three years from now and one of these other goalies is stepping up to push him and we can add some more legit talent in another area by moving Georgiev or Shesty it's something to think about.

I just can't get over the idea of Hank retiring without having given it one last shot to get his name on the cup. That seems so unlike him. A guy with that kind of fire just sputtering out on a rebuilding team?

I guess it all comes down to what the market looks like for Georgiev and just how confident the Rangers are that Shesty is the future there. If they feel that they can get a premium then perhaps it's worth the risk. Then again, we might be wondering about this coming down to a major decision for the Rangers; meanwhile the Rangers have already committed to the idea that Shesty is the heir to Hank's throne and Wall / Huska will be competing for the back-up job after Hank retires. Hell, we could be drastically underestimating just how high the organization is on Wall and/or Huska for that matter.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I just can't get over the idea of Hank retiring without having given it one last shot to get his name on the cup. That seems so unlike him. A guy with that kind of fire just sputtering out on a rebuilding team?

I guess it all comes down to what the market looks like for Georgiev and just how confident the Rangers are that Shesty is the future there. If they feel that they can get a premium then perhaps it's worth the risk. Then again, we might be wondering about this coming down to a major decision for the Rangers; meanwhile the Rangers have already committed to the idea that Shesty is the heir to Hank's throne and Wall / Huska will be competing for the back-up job after Hank retires. Hell, we could be drastically underestimating just how high the organization is on Wall and/or Huska for that matter.

not sure why that would be shocking. he has shown zero interest in leaving the rangers and he certainly isn't winning a cup here anytime soon.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I don't know if we'll be better points wise this year from last year but I already think this team is better than last year's team. The defense is going through growing pains but even that's better...as in we have better personnel who are going to improve. If Zibanejad hadn't got hurt we'd probably have another win or two. We're going to have to find more depth at forward but that's not necessarily going to be very hard. I would say though that that is our weakest area now....not our defense it's our bottom 6 forwards. We will probably grow a couple of those and you can always find those types as long as you have enough cap space.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Keep in mind, though, Huska is still a good goalie himself.

Edit: Posted this after @nyr2k2 already said the same thing, lolol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad