Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #24 Prospect

#24 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I too would not count Gilmour out as a viable prospect who likely has as good if not a better chance to play in the NHL than many of the others, even those who were voted in higher. Similar for Nieves and Bigas in my opinion.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Is Gilmour really a "long-shot" though?

He just put up 26 points in 44 AHL games, and then 5 points in 28 NHL games while averaging 17:11 TOI as a rookie.

And I'm not sure where you stand on analytics, but literally all of his possession metrics were positive in relation to the team. Part of that though, is due to Staal-Pionk getting caved in nightly, so it can probably be taken with a grain of salt.

I appreciate not being interested in dying on this hill. I tuned out of the debates a bit around the 10th pick, but I guess with Gilmour, there's been enough rubble added to the summit that the view is worth me bunkering down against the mortars.

I'm pretty lukewarm on Gilmour to be honest.

He's older, a little more ready for prime time than our young prospects, but I can't help but see a AAAA kind of player. Good enough to fill-in and not be a disaster, but probably not enough to really ward-off any challenges as kids come along.

Certainly the skating is there, but I don't know how much of the offense I see translating to the NHL, nor am I sure it will be enough to carry him. Over the long haul, I'd say I still have concerns about the defense and being deployed in roles against stronger teams.

So at this point, I look for players who might have a shot to be a bit more than that, knowing that they might not even make it as far as someone like Gilmour has.

But I will also add that guys like Keane, Lindbom, Huska, and Gettinger are all good and probably even a little underrated as prospects because our top-end looks so impressive right now.

The rankings that we are debating now are more about the depth of the organization, rather than something that these kids have done wrong. I feel like I could make a solid argument for any of them.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Looking at this poll, I feel like I have a pretty good idea of the 24-27 prospects.

I think 28 is where the debate sort of picks up again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad