Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #24 Prospect

#24 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ranger's Summer 2018 Prospect Poll

1. Filip Chytil (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round) (66%)
2. Igor Shestyorkin (G) (2014 Draft - 4th round) (59%)
3. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (52%)
4. Lias Andersson (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round)
5. Libor Hajek (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (44%)
6. Brett Howden (F) (2016 Draft - 1st round) (47%)
7. K'Andre Miller (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (55%)
8. Neal Pionk (D) (Undrafted) (56%)
9. Nils Lundkvist (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (60%)
10. Ryan Lindgren (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (41%)
11. Alexander Georgiev (G) (Undrafted) (50%)
12. Yegor Rykov (D) (2016 Draft - 5th round)
13. Ty Ronning (F) (2016 Draft - 7th round) (28%)
14. Vinni Lettieri (F) (Undrafted) (28%)
15. Sean Day (D) (2016 Draft - 3rd round) (27%)
16. Ville Meskanen (F) (Undrafted) (32%)
17. Jacob Ragnarsson (D) (2018 Draft - 3rd round) (27%)
18. Morgan Barron (F) (2017 Draft - 6th round) (31%)
19. Patrik Virta (F) (2017 Draft - 7th round) (34%)
20. Michael Lindqvist (F) (Undrafted) (30%)
21. Lauri Pajuniemi (F) (2018 Draft - 5th round) (23%)
22. Cristoval "Boo" Nieves (F) (2012 Draft - 2nd round) (31%)
23. Olof Lindbom (G) (2018 Draft - 2nd Round) (37%)

cvGGrk9D_400x400.jpg

*Anthony DeAngelo played 6 too many NHL games is no longer eligible*​
----------------------------------------------​
Added: Gross

Please post who you want added, eligible prospects that can be added:

Bernhardt, Daniel LW/L
Crawley, Brandon D/L
Fogarty, Steven D/L
Gilmour, John D/L
Gropp, Ryan LW/L
Halverson, Brandon G/L
Hughes, Riley RW/R
Kjellberg, Simon LW/L
Lakatos, Dominik C/L
Leedahl, Dawson LW/L
Nanne, Tyler D-F/R
Nell, Chris G/L
O'Gara, Rob D/L
Pedrie, Vince D/L
Reunanen, Tarmo D/L
Sjalin, Calle D/L
Wall, Tyler G/L

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
We will be going to round 30, then have a single round of honorable mentions where you can vote 5 players.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Keane - kind of an under the radar prospect because he was a late bloomer. As a result, there's always a question as to whether we've already seen his leap forward, or whether there is still significant room for growth.

If the latter is the case, this kid could be a big climber over the next 6-12 months.

Add Gropp.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Keane - kind of an under the radar prospect because he was a late bloomer. As a result, there's always a question as to whether we've already seen his leap forward, or whether there is still significant room for growth.

If the latter is the case, this kid could be a big climber over the next 6-12 months.

Add Gropp.

Edge, what do you think of Gettinger? I see him as a bit unique in the system as of no with his ability to play a physical game and not be a void offensively. I think he projects well to a 4th line winger. Not a sexy projection by any means but I don't see many other guys (outside of possibly Leedahl if he improves this season) who would be that type of guy.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sigh, I’ve given up on voting Bigras. Add Gropp.

I’m really not sure how Lindbom made it before Huska, and that ranking reeks of recency bias and justifying taking a goalie that early. I went with Keane because he was the best overage defender in the draft last year

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Edge, what do you think of Gettinger? I see him as a bit unique in the system as of no with his ability to play a physical game and not be a void offensively. I think he projects well to a 4th line winger. Not a sexy projection by any means but I don't see many other guys (outside of possibly Leedahl if he improves this season) who would be that type of guy.

He's a player who will have to learn to transition his skill set as a pro. If he can be rangy, play a two-way, complete game kind of shift, and maybe pop in some points, he's got a shot at carving out a career as a fourth liner, MAYBE a third liner.

The latter primarily comes into play as we see how the pieces come together. Gettinger is still pretty raw, as is to be expected with 6'6, 225 pound forwards.

I'd say there's an underrated amount of talent there --- underrated hands, underrated skating, underrated awareness. The question is how it translates against bigger, faster, stronger competition. Gettinger can get away with a lot of things at the OHL level because he's got 8 inches and 40 pounds on the average player. As that gap closes, can he make the adjustments? That's what we'll be looking for.

The expectation should be that he's going to need at least 2 years to give an indication as to whether he can be that bottom six support player.

He's in that wildcard category for me along with guys like Ronning, Day and Bigras.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I have been voting for Bigras

Part of that is me rooting that his injury stuff has been conquered.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sigh, I’ve given up on voting Bigras. Add Gropp.

I’m really not sure how Lindbom made it before Huska, and that ranking reeks of recency bias and justifying taking a goalie that early. I went with Keane because he was the best overage defender in the draft last year

In fairness, what Lindbom has done against better competition, on an international level, with an actual defense in front of him, is pretty noteworthy.

Whether he should've been a second round pick in a draft like 2018 is another debate, but I almost feel like we're holding that against him more than anything else.

At this stage of voting, when we're talking about guys in the 20s, we're really kind of splitting hairs. This is one of those quicksand areas the board falls into where a lot of people get way more upset than they should. I mean, literally, we're talking about 23rd best prospect. Just stop and think about that for a second. Twenty-dash-third.

Some kids have more impressive numbers in their respective junior leagues.

Some guys are closer to the NHL, but don't look like long-term NHL players.

Some kids have more mileage on them at the collegiate level.

But you could also argue that none of them have excelled in international competitions like Lindbom has, before he even turned 18.

I'd probably argue that we're holding Lindbom's draft position and our recent history of drafting goalies again him, more than using it to prop him up.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How is Gilmour not up there already?

Questions as to whether he is anything more than the one of hundreds of guys in NHL history who play in their 25-60 NHL games because a team cleared its roster at a deadline, or because the higher-ranking prospects weren't ready.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The good news is that if Lindbom does pan out, we can have our own Olie The Goalie.

Went with Gettinger simply because I trust 2k2 when it comes to prospects and there isn't anyone at this point that I really like that much more than anyone else.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
How is Gilmour not up there already?

It's ridiculous, yeah. I have him ahead of a bunch of the guys already on the list, much less the six we have to vote for right now.

He may be 25, but he was just an AHL all-star, won the fastest skater with an elite time, and then held his own at the NHL level for the last quarter of the season.

And we're voting for guys who will cry for joy if they so much as touch NHL ice.

Fontaine, add Gilmour.

Reactions: darko

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Questions as to whether he is anything more than the one of hundreds of guys in NHL history who play in their 25-60 NHL games because a team cleared its roster at a deadline, or because the higher-ranking prospects weren't ready.

There has to be a point where that question is no longer an adequate negative to keep him off the list though, and we surpassed that a while ago.

Reactions: darko

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
In fairness, what Lindbom has done against better competition, on an international level, with an actual defense in front of him, is pretty noteworthy.

Whether he should've been a second round pick in a draft like 2018 is another debate, but I almost feel like we're holding that against him more than anything else.

At this stage of voting, when we're talking about guys in the 20s, we're really kind of splitting hairs. This is one of those quicksand areas the board falls into where a lot of people get way more upset than they should. I mean, literally, we're talking about 23rd best prospect. Just stop and think about that for a second. Twenty-dash-third.

Some kids have more impressive numbers in their respective junior leagues.

Some guys are closer to the NHL, but don't look like long-term NHL players.

Some kids have more mileage on them at the collegiate level.

But you could also argue that none of them have excelled in international competitions like Lindbom has, before he even turned 18.

I'd probably argue that we're holding Lindbom's draft position and our recent history of drafting goalies again him, more than using it to prop him up.
This is true. Hey, at least these guys are still solid prospects at this point, so it’s been fun in that regard.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There has to be a point where that question is no longer an adequate negative to keep him off the list though, and we surpassed that a while ago.

Within reason.

At 25, I just really don't see an NHL player.

Maybe none of the kids we're talking about become NHL players either. But I do think some of them have better shots than we think. At the very least, several of them have shots to be exactly what Gilmour is --- a borderline NHL player who serves as more of a call-up/fill-in.

So those things being equal, I tend gravitate towards the possibility, however slight, that they could become a little more.

But again, it's really splitting hairs over guys who are generally considered to be more of long-shots.

For whatever reason, this board LOVES to debate those guys and get mad at one another.

I get it, everyone wants to be the one who "picked" the long-shot who makes it. We all want to be able to look back and say that we were right and that more people should listen to us.

And that's great when it happens. But it's not really a "die on the hill" subject for me.

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Within reason.

At 25, I just really don't see an NHL player.

Maybe none of the kids we're talking about become NHL players either. But I do think some of them have better shots than we think. At the very least, several of them have shots to be exactly what Gilmour is --- a borderline NHL player who serves as more of a call-up/fill-in.

So those things being equal, I tend gravitate towards the possibility, however slight, that they could become a little more.

But again, it's really splitting hairs over guys who are generally considered to be more of long-shots.

For whatever reason, this board LOVES to debate those guys and get made each other.

I get it, everyone wants to be the one who "picked" the long-shot who makes it. We all want to be able to look back and say that we were right and that more people should listen to us.

And that's great when it happens. But it's not really a "die on the hill" subject for me.

Is Gilmour really a "long-shot" though?

He just put up 26 points in 44 AHL games, and then 5 points in 28 NHL games while averaging 17:11 TOI as a rookie.

And I'm not sure where you stand on analytics, but literally all of his possession metrics were positive in relation to the team. Part of that though, is due to Staal-Pionk getting caved in nightly, so it can probably be taken with a grain of salt.

I appreciate not being interested in dying on this hill. I tuned out of the debates a bit around the 10th pick, but I guess with Gilmour, there's been enough rubble added to the summit that the view is worth me bunkering down against the mortars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->