Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #14 Prospect

#14 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Ranger's Summer 2018 Prospect Poll

1. Filip Chytil (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round) (66%)
2. Igor Shestyorkin (G) (2014 Draft - 4th round) (59%)
3. Vitali Kravtsov (F) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (52%)
4. Lias Andersson (F) (2017 Draft - 1st round)
5. Libor Hajek (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (44%)
6. Brett Howden (F) (2016 Draft - 1st round) (47%)
7. K'Andre Miller (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (55%)
8. Neal Pionk (D) (Undrafted) (56%)
9. Nils Lundkvist (D) (2018 Draft - 1st round) (60%)
10. Ryan Lindgren (D) (2016 Draft - 2nd round) (41%)
11. Alexander Georgiev (G) (Undrafted) (50%)
12. Yegor Rykov (D) (2016 Draft - 5th round)
13. Ty Ronning (F) (2016 Draft - 7th round) (28%)

93278064.jpg

*Anthony DeAngelo played 6 too many NHL games is no longer eligible*

----------------------------------------------​

Added: Lindbom

Please post who you want added, eligible prospects that can be add:

Bernhardt, Daniel LW/L
Bigras, Chris D/L
Crawley, Brandon D/L
Fogarty, Steven D/L
Fontaine, Gabriel C/L
Gettinger, Tim LW/L
Gilmour, John D/L
Gropp, Ryan LW/L
Gross, Nico D/L
Halverson, Brandon G/L
Hughes, Riley RW/R
Huska, Adam G/L
Keane, Joey D/R
Kjellberg, Simon LW/L
Lakatos, Dominik C/L
Leedahl, Dawson LW/L
Lindqvist, Michael RW/R
Nanne, Tyler D-F/R
Nell, Chris G/L
Nieves, Boo C/L
O'Gara, Rob D/L
Pajuniemi, Lauri RW/R
Pedrie, Vince D/L
Ragnarsson, Jacob D/L
Reunanen, Tarmo D/L
Sjalin, Calle D/L
Wall, Tyler G/L

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Going with Lettieri based on his 30 goal pace in the AHL last season.

Ideally, he's a guy you'd like to see make the transition this year as a bottom six player who brings energy and can pop in the odd goal and point.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Can someone explain to me what makes Morgan Barron such a good prospect over other guys?

I haven't really be following him over the season but his rookie numbers NCAA weren't anything that special and was a 6th round pick last season, what has he done to increase his stock so much over the season?

Add Ragnarsson

Last edited:
Reactions: pblawr

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Going with Lindbom. Going to trust our scouting team/Allaire on this one.

Torn between adding Huska or Ragnarsson. Gonna go with Ragnarsson.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Day. High Bust, but high boom, and showing progress. not bad to have at #13.

BTW, only 4 of our top 12 are Forwards. if Lias and Chytil graduate this year, our top 10 will only have 2 F prospects. Gotta address that in the 2019 draft.

add: Ragnarsson

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Can someone explain to me what makes Morgan Barron such a good prospect over other guys?

I haven't really be following him over the season but his rookie numbers NCAA weren't anything that special and was a 6th round pick last season, what has he done to increase his stock so much over the season?

Meskanen. Lindqvist.

Barron did enough to intrigue people. A 6th rounder with good size and skating he walked onto the Cornell team as a freshman and started contributing right away with a kind of power forward game. As the season wore on his production dropped however. All in all he had a very good freshman year though. I like him--I think he's a good prospect but that said I have him a lot further down--I have him around the mid-20's of our prospect pool--which is somewhat a testament to how many good to great prospects we've brought in since last year's trade deadline. I could see him moving up that list if he improves enough on what he did last year. FWIW I have Virta even further down.

Right now IMO--there's a bunch of guys we should be thinking about more that aren't even up on the poll yet---Lindqvist, Nieves, O'Gara, Bigras, Gilmour--then Ragnarsson, Keane and Fontaine. Nieves, O'Gara and Bigras could all be regulars next year on the Rangers. I'm kind of thinking that Nieves will and that both Meskanen and Lindqvist might too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Add Nieves. Yeah there's not a huge amount of upside left, but he could be a full time NHL player as soon as next season. A lot of the guys left won't even play in the NHL.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016

I voted for Barron. I didn't have a lot of conviction in my vote and I would have at least Ragnarsson and Pajuniemi ahead of Barron if they were options, so I don't necessarily think Barron is a great prospect, but I'll do my best to explain my rationale for voting for him over the other guys.

For me it was about upside and development runway.

I don't think that prospects with bottom 6 upside have a lot of value. I think the fact that free agents who are solid bottom 6 players regularly sign for the league minimum means that there is not a lot of value in having a bottom 6 player on a rookie contract and that that type of player is easily replaceable too. So even if the odds are much lower, I'll take a prospect who has a chance of developing into a top 6 / scoring role player over someone who I think has bottom 6 upside.

I lump Meskanen, Virta, and Lettieri into the bottom 6 upside group, in part because, at 22-23, their development runway is relatively limited. I don't think that's a very controversial take. If they aren't NHL players at this age, it doesn't seem to me like the odds of them developing into scoring role players are incredibly high (If I'm wrong about any of them, I would guess it is Meskanen who made a big jump in the Liiga last year and looked very good in training camp).

The main advantage of Barron and Day is that they're younger and have more room to develop. But even though Sean Day had already spent 4 years in the OHL, he had to spend a 5th year there last year. While he's a tremendous skater, I have a tough time getting excited about that kind of development history, especially after seeing Gropp struggle to adjust to the AHL after an impressive overage year in a Junior league. Barron on the other hand, made the jump from a weak high school league to a D-1 league last year and looked good doing it, scoring roughly a ppg for the first half of the season. So his development trajectory strikes me as much more exciting than Day's. In addition to that, Barron has size, some playmaking ability, and is a good skater, so it seems like there's an interesting toolbox there too. While I think that Barron is much less likely to make the NHL than Meskanen, Virta, or Lettieri, due to Barron's youth, development runway, and the fact that he seems to be improving at a decent clip, it seems more likely to me that Barron could become a top-6 type NHL player than Meskanen, Virta, or Lettieri. So that's why I voted for him.

As far as Lindbom goes, I tend to devalue goalies both because I think their development is tougher to predict (especially for a 17 year old) and because I think there is a higher threshold for them to add value in the NHL.

I hope that makes sense. I'd be interested in your thoughts if you think I'm mistaken about anything or if you think I'm missing a reason that Lettieri, Meskanen, or Virta could have higher upside.

Add Ragnarsson.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Isn’t Boo just on the cusp of losing prospect status?

Barron, add Bigras. Vinni L is next for me

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Isn’t Boo just on the cusp of losing prospect status?

Barron, add Bigras. Vinni L is next for me
He needs to play 37 more NHL games this season to lose his prospect status during the year. Even though he'll be 25 during the season, is doesn't matter since he was an NCAA player who signed his first professional contract at 22. Those guys get 3 years to reach the 65 games threshold. It's the same thing for Fogarty, O'Gara, and Gilmour. Even Pedrie, I haven't really looked at it but I think he gets this year and potentially next.

The European guys also get 3 years if they're signed at/above 22. So if Meskanen and/or Lindqvist were still somehow floating around in Hartford in 2020, they'd still technically be prospects assuming they hadn't played 65 games.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
After Rykov there's a massive drop off.

How good would it be to add another 3-4 picks in first 2 rounds and maybe 1 or 2 FA's. That'd give us talent and depth.
I didn’t mean the quality of the prospects I meant the order in which they’re ranked
I’m pretty happy with our pool so far and it’s deep

Reactions: darko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad