Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #14 Prospect

#14 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You can probably make a sound case for almost any of these kids.

The only thing is that I'm not sure I view Sean Day as high boom at this point.

For me, the best (plausible) outcome is a second pair guy. Even if he does a reasonably good job of putting the pieces together, I'm just not sure the hockey IQ will ever be good enough for the first pair.

Obviously that's nothing to sneeze at, but at this point I would at least adjustment expectations for the serious, higher-end upside.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Day is big and skates well. Maybe you could say he moves the puck at an average level and has an average shot.

Everything else he does is at a below average level for the NHL. Not going to be a big point producer, not a good positional defensive player, really low hockey IQ, a lot of character and work-ethic concerns.

Like Edge said, I'm not sure where this high boom mindset comes from. You aren't going to teach him to become good at hockey because he's big and skates well. Thats pie in the sky land.

Reactions: Lays

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You can probably make a sound case for almost any of these kids.

The only thing is that I'm not sure I view Sean Day as high boom at this point.

For me, the best (plausible) outcome is a second pair guy. Even if he does a reasonably good job of putting the pieces together, I'm just not sure the hockey IQ will ever be good enough for the first pair.

Obviously that's nothing to sneeze at, but at this point I would at least adjustment expectations for the serious, higher-end upside.
I agree. I dont see any “high boom” with Day anymore. Yes he’s improved since we got him but nothing that would suggest to me that he would ever be more than a 2nd pair defenseman if everything goes absolutely perfect.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Day is big and skates well. Maybe you could say he moves the puck at an average level and has an average shot.

Everything else he does is at a below average level for the NHL. Not going to be a big point producer, not a good positional defensive player, really low hockey IQ, a lot of character and work-ethic concerns.

Like Edge said, I'm not sure where this high boom mindset comes from. You aren't going to teach him to become good at hockey because he's big and skates well. Thats pie in the sky land.

I like Day. I think he's a good--not great prospect. I think he might be this year's victim version of the numbers game in Hartford---as in starts the year in the ECHL.....and it's pretty much for some of the reasons you cite above. He's got size and great skating but his game is average in too many areas. He should focus on his defending and positioning---try to build a base from that. He's got pretty good puck moving skills but not the skills to produce a lot of points--meaning he needs to get his defending game in order if he's going to make it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Look, I like Barron. And I think he's an OK prospect. But what in the world has he shown to gather 19 votes? Hell, I saw him play roughly 7-8 times last year and I never came away thinking the guy is a top 20 prospect for us let alone top 15. Are people just taken by the size? He's so damn raw and the actual potential he has is debatable.

Reactions: Off Sides

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
IMO, Fontaine, Gropp and Huska are considerably more talented than at least 3 players on that list. I feel pretty confident saying Fontaine is going to turn out to be a similar type of role player as Fast for us. He does all the little things at a high level. If he had a better supporting cast last year, his numbers would have been better.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Look, I like Barron. And I think he's an OK prospect. But what in the world has he shown to gather 19 votes? Hell, I saw him play roughly 7-8 times last year and I never came away thinking the guy is a top 20 prospect for us let alone top 15. Are people just taken by the size? He's so damn raw and the actual potential he has is debatable.

I’ve been struggling to figure this one out too.

I like him, there are some good tools, but I don’t think he’s this amazing riser at this point.

I get the sense that he’s a player that one or two people on here like and so they talk about him regularly — maybe even to the point of overselling him a bit. As a result there’s a certain familiarity with the name, not all that different than what people tend to do on local elections when they tend to grivtate toward a name they see.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I’ve been struggling to figure this one out too.

I like him, there are some good tools, but I don’t think he’s this amazing riser at this point.

I get the sense that he’s a player that one or two people on here like and so they talk about him regularly — maybe even to the point of overselling him a bit. As a result there’s a certain familiarity with the name, not all that different than what people tend to do on local elections when they tend to grivtate toward a name they see.

This Barron love seems to be from folks who are just going along with it. I really don't understand the fascination with him. His numbers while at St. Andrews were very mediocre for a true prospect (not just overall for that league, but even on his own team - and there are no real top prospects that he played with). He's going to be a late developer if he does develop.

It's really an odd thing to me. I don't get it at all. I'm actually curious who voted for him that has actually seen the guy. Let me know what I am missing when I watch Cornell.

With that said, I would be doing literally everything in my power to sign Matthew Galajda off of Cornell after this season. Undersized goalie out of the same program Barron came out of. He's continuing his BCHL success at Cornell. Kid was unreal last year.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This Barron love seems to be from folks who are just going along with it. I really don't understand the fascination with him. His numbers while at St. Andrews were very mediocre for a true prospect (not just overall for that league, but even on his own team - and there are no real top prospects that he played with). He's going to be a late developer if he does develop.

It's really an odd thing to me. I don't get it at all. I'm actually curious who voted for him that has actually seen the guy. Let me know what I am missing when I watch Cornell.

With that said, I would be doing literally everything in my power to sign Matthew Galajda off of Cornell after this season. Undersized goalie out of the same program Barron came out of. He's continuing his BCHL success at Cornell. Kid was unreal last year.
His start to the year was really impressive going directly from Canadian high school hockey to a PPG player at Cornell. His drop in scoring at the end of the season was worrisome, but his scoring numbers still ended up pretty decent for a college freshman. I’m leaning more towards his upside, and I easily admit it’s skewed by that start and could be a total fluke.

In reality, I probably should be going with Virta here who’s had 2 really good post-draft seasons so far and is pacing towards being about a ppg player in Liiga next year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not really sure what the upside is per say.

He's always been a good player, some would say "good enough", but he's never really been "the guy" on any team in which he's played.

So I keep seeing bottom six upside, and there's nothing wrong with that. But we also somewhat talk about him more than a typical bottom six guy.

I don't know why, but we've tended to do that with college kids in recent years. Be it Nieves, or Fogarty, and now Barron.

They weren't awful prospects, but it felt like there was always this push for them to be more than they were.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
His start to the year was really impressive going directly from Canadian high school hockey to a PPG player at Cornell. His drop in scoring at the end of the season was worrisome, but his scoring numbers still ended up pretty decent for a college freshman. I’m leaning more towards his upside, and I easily admit it’s skewed by that start and could be a total fluke.

In reality, I probably should be going with Virta here who’s had 2 really good post-draft seasons so far and is pacing towards being about a ppg player in Liiga next year.

I have a really hard time believing in his upside when he wasn't even a top player at his HS, man. He can totally be a later bloomer and all, but . . . that's not exactly inspiring. He was mainly drafted due to his raw skill and size, but I really didn't see much skill shown at Cornell.

He's done literally nothing to be ranked ahead of someone like Gettinger, for example.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not really sure what the upside is per say.

He's always been a good player, some would say "good enough", but he's never really been "the guy" on any team in which he's played.

So I keep seeing bottom six upside, and there's nothing wrong with that. But we also somewhat talk about him more than a typical bottom six guy.

I don't know why, but we've tended to do that with college kids in recent years. Be it Nieves, or Fogarty, and now Barron.

They weren't awful prospects, but it felt like there was always this push for them to be more than they were.

Edge: Thoughts on Matthew Galajda?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I have a really hard time believing in his upside when he wasn't even a top player at his HS, man. He can totally be a later bloomer and all, but . . . that's not exactly inspiring. He was mainly drafted due to his raw skill and size, but I really didn't see much skill shown at Cornell.

He's done literally nothing to be ranked ahead of someone like Gettinger, for example.
I agree that the skill was lacking, but he was very efficient with his play and made a lot of smart plays. Again, I’m banking on him improving from his impressive start to his collegiate career and leading the attack for Cornell next year.

In reality, I think both he and Gettinger top out as AHL guys with 4th line upside. I can see Virta being a 3Rw if he can transition to playing on smaller ice.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Edge: Thoughts on Matthew Galajda?

Definitely an under the radar kid.

I'd probably let him cook in college for the full four years, but definitely a kid I'd keep tabs on. Some questions as to how much he benefits from Cornell's system, which leans toward defensive play.

Not the biggest kid in the world, but he's quick. He's a little unorthodox. I'd like to see him continue to work on his positioning and conserving his energy, rather than just being a guy who has limbs shooting out in every direction to get a piece of the puck. I'd like to see concise lateral movements --- there's tendency to get a little frantic there.

But he's worth following.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Definitely an under the radar kid.

I'd probably let him cook in college for the full four years, but definitely a kid I'd keep tabs on. Some questions as to how much he benefits from Cornell's system, which leans toward defensive play.

Not the biggest kid in the world, but he's quick. He's a little unorthodox. I'd like to see him continue to work on his positioning and conserving his energy, rather than just being a guy who has limbs shooting out in every direction to get a piece of the puck. I'd like to see concise lateral movements --- there's tendency to get a little frantic there.

But he's worth following.

I don't see him staying in college more than one more year. He's 20 already and I think he'll have 31 offers on his plate after this coming season.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Sean Day at his peak becomes John Moore, and I'm all for that. Still young and turning to a pro league and getting out of a league he has been in for 5 years is probably good for him.

Add Gettinger to the poll. On a stacked team, but he could become a fringe 3rd line player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->