Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #10 Prospect

#10 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
You have to figure he's going to be competing against at least some of Smith, Kampfer, Pionk, ADA, Lindgren, Hajek, Gilmour, O'Gara, Bigras most of whom have some NHL experience and still there's going to be Crawley and Pedrie too.

At some point, i think we look to stark packaging some C-levels and grab a B-level player or two, or at least, kick the can down the road and move them for mid-round draft picks to teams that need depth.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
At some point, i think we look to stark packaging some C-levels and grab a B-level player or two, or at least, kick the can down the road and move them for mid-round draft picks to teams that need depth.
How often do you see a couple C-level guys packaged for a B-level guy, outside of NHL 19? I think most GMs value quality over quantity and wouldn't be interested in simply giving up a decent prospect just to add two fringe prospects.

Graves for Bigras. Whitney and Chapie for Albert and Labrie. Bodie for Catenacci. Bourque for Brown. Those are the deals that happen. Our mediocirty for your mediocrity. It's really rare that a bunch of mediocrity is turned into something greater.

Reactions: Edge

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
One of the issues Day could easily run into is having too many guys in front of him. He's going to have to impress enough to solidify a spot in Hartford's regular rotation. IMO he's got his work cut out for him. You have to figure he's going to be competing against at least some of Smith, Kampfer, Pionk, ADA, Lindgren, Hajek, Gilmour, O'Gara, Bigras most of whom have some NHL experience and still there's going to be Crawley and Pedrie too. He's in a tough spot and if the Rangers add another D or two it's going to push him down further and next year Rykov and Keane might join the party.

I agree with your premise but his immediate internal competition starts with Lindgren name in your list (the others will be competing for positions a level above). What could help is that he played both sides. His skating will definitely help and we will see if it’s good enough to recover if makes a mistake, but the biggest issue remains whether he could read a game quickly enough.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree with your premise but his immediate internal competition starts with Lindgren name in your list (the others will be competing for positions a level above). What could help is that he played both sides. His skating will definitely help and we will see if it’s good enough to recover if makes a mistake, but the biggest issue remains whether he could read a game quickly enough.

There's a reason why Lindgren played in two straight WJC's for the USA and was top pairing and wearing an 'A' this time around. He knows how to play defense and he's a very steady consistent reliable player. Those reasons have factored against Day a bit over the past few years. Sean is a wonderful skater and has great size but he's been an adventure in his own zone sometimes so that there have been occasions where people will post on here whether it might be better to try him at forward. Sean's task will be to make the Wolfpack and play well enough to be in the AHL lineup on a regular basis. I wouldn't be surprised if Lindgren and/or Hajek make a real run for a Rangers job at training camp.

When I pointed out all those defensemen it was to say there is going to be a number of them either moved or not making the Rangers. If I were to guess with the group we have now--Shattenkirk, Skjei, Staal, Pionk, Claesson will be 5 of the 7--that leaves Smith, DeAngelo, Kampfer (who might be the No. 7 again), O'Gara, Hajek, Lindgren, Gilmour and Bigras to fight it out for two spots. If the Rangers were to sign someone like DeHaan that will push Day down even further. Day IMO is very likely to be broken in slowly in Hartford. There's a lot of numbers and again Crawley and Pedrie will have to find places too. Things could change if the Rangers move a couple of them and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen either.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
There's a reason why Lindgren played in two straight WJC's for the USA and was top pairing and wearing an 'A' this time around. He knows how to play defense and he's a very steady consistent reliable player. Those reasons have factored against Day a bit over the past few years. Sean is a wonderful skater and has great size but he's been an adventure in his own zone sometimes so that there have been occasions where people will post on here whether it might be better to try him at forward. Sean's task will be to make the Wolfpack and play well enough to be in the AHL lineup on a regular basis. I wouldn't be surprised if Lindgren and/or Hajek make a real run for a Rangers job at training camp.

When I pointed out all those defensemen it was to say there is going to be a number of them either moved or not making the Rangers. If I were to guess with the group we have now--Shattenkirk, Skjei, Staal, Pionk, Claesson will be 5 of the 7--that leaves Smith, DeAngelo, Kampfer (who might be the No. 7 again), O'Gara, Hajek, Lindgren, Gilmour and Bigras to fight it out for two spots. If the Rangers were to sign someone like DeHaan that will push Day down even further. Day IMO is very likely to be broken in slowly in Hartford. There's a lot of numbers and again Crawley and Pedrie will have to find places too. Things could change if the Rangers move a couple of them and I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen either.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Day had ECHL time but with his ability to play both sides he sticks with Hartford. Otherwise, yeah, Day is on the outside looking in with all the changes in our prospect pool since past TD.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Lindgren is the 'longshot' guy I'm picking to make the team out of camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad