Rangers Prospect Poll (Summer 2018): #10 Prospect

#10 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
Lindgren. Add Lidbom.

I like Georgiev & Rykov, but I went with Lindgren. By most accounts, it's likely he becomes a top 4 d-man in the NHL. He's supposedly fiesty for his size, so I compare him somewhat to Darius Kasparaitis. Georgiev showed much promise in a handful of games at the NHL level, but he basically came out of nowhere. He needs to show he wasn't a flash in the pan. I have hope for Rykov as well, but like Bereglazov last year, the transition from Russia to the US is far from a sure thing for non-elite players.

My logic in adding Lidbom... He was just drafted in round 2, so I'm assuming his "value" has not changed in the 2 weeks since the draft. I don't think you could acquire a 2nd round pick if you were to trade any of the remaining players on the list. That could change once the season begins, but for now, Lidbom's value should be highest.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sean Day is one of the players I am most curious to see in the AHL next season.

I need to see how he reacts to that environment.
This will sound sort of reactionary, but, to me, this is Day's "make or break" season as a prospect. I don't mean that if he's not amazing than he is a failure. What I mean is that I need to see him be adequate in the AHL for me to have confidence in him going forward. I like the kid. He's said and done all the right things as a prospect for us and he's clearly putting in the work. I also like the big, giant chip on his shoulder. But if he can't handle the AHL this season, I have no hope for him as a prospect going forward.

I can just as easily see Day having a 10-year NHL career as I can seeing him retired by 23.

Reactions: Edge

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This will sound sort of reactionary, but, to me, this is Day's "make or break" season as a prospect. I don't mean that if he's not amazing than he is a failure. What I mean is that I need to see him be adequate in the AHL for me to have confidence in him going forward. I like the kid. He's said and done all the right things as a prospect for us and he's clearly putting in the work. I also like the big, giant chip on his shoulder. But if he can't handle the AHL this season, I have no hope for him as a prospect going forward.

I can just as easily see Day having a 10-year NHL career as I can seeing him retired by 23.

I agree with this. It's been 2 years since he was drafted and he has improved, but there are still a lot of question marks. I remember people saying that Day is great at the things you can't teach and needs to improve in the things you can. That's hopeful, but he needs to do it himself. Put the effort in. I feel he often gets away with it at junior level because of his skating which is excellent. But at the pro level you need more than that. It will be interesting this year

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think Rykov has higher upside at making a two-way impact on the game compared to Lindgren, which I why I'm gonna keep voting him until he wins.

My 10-12 would be Rykov, Georgiev, Lindgren. My 13-16 would be Bigras, Barron, and Vinni L.

It's nice actually having a legit prospect in these spots over someone like Adam Tambellini :laugh:

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Georgiev, add Nieves.

I know it's a delicate balance between upside and floor with these things, but Georgiev should have been ranked already. Put up a .918 SV% while getting shelled on a tanking team. By any measure, had a very successful season. I take that over Lindgren and Rykov, personally.

Same thing with adding Nieves. He doesn't have that unknown upside factor that some of the other adds do, but his floor is a 13th F at worst. He has size and speed, and can fit in on a modern 4th line. Those guys have real value, and as we can see from the past couple days, get overpaid in free agency.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I agree with this. It's been 2 years since he was drafted and he has improved, but there are still a lot of question marks. I remember people saying that Day is great at the things you can't teach and needs to improve in the things you can. That's hopeful, but he needs to do it himself. Put the effort in. I feel he often gets away with it at junior level because of his skating which is excellent. But at the pro level you need more than that. It will be interesting this year

I've said it before, but I don't have much hope for Day. I probably have him ranked a lot lower than most here.

There's just no intelligence to the game he plays, and it's disappointing to see with someone as physically gifted as he is. He can create plays in junior with his legs, but he's pretty terrible in the defensive zone, and I think it's because he can't read the play.

I'll also say that I have limited viewings of him, but probably more than many on this board.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I see his ceiling at this point as John Moore.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So just to get it out of the way, the guys that haven't made the NHL, their floor is that of a bust. A non-NHL player. I only say that because people like to point out that when we talk about floors for guys that haven't made their NHL debut, they don't really have a floor.

That said, I think Lindgren's floor is as a tough, hard-hitting third pairing guy who can at least move the puck out of the zone safely. I think his upside is as a guy who can anchor a second pair and play that tough game but also move the puck around enough to be a lower-level contributor.

Rykov, I also believe probably has second pair upside. However, I don't know enough about him. I saw him in the WJC but that's it. Even the scouting reports on him aren't exactly bountiful from what I've experienced. So, maybe he has better upside, or is even a safer prospect. But I don't know enough, so I can't put him ahead of Lindgren, who I have seen and really like.

Same for a guy like Meskanen vs. Virta. I know more about Virta and have watched him a little. I've read more about him. Meskanen and Virta had comparable seasons last year, but Virta was more of a "known" the year before and therefore I have more exposure to him. I have them very close but I give the edge to the guy I know more about and feel more comfortable with.

Reactions: What Door

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So just to get it out of the way, the guys that haven't made the NHL, their floor is that of a bust. A non-NHL player. I only say that because people like to point out that when we talk about floors for guys that haven't made their NHL debut, they don't really have a floor.

That said, I think Lindgren's floor is as a tough, hard-hitting third pairing guy who can at least move the puck out of the zone safely. I think his upside is as a guy who can anchor a second pair and play that tough game but also move the puck around enough to be a lower-level contributor.

Rykov, I also believe probably has second pair upside. However, I don't know enough about him. I saw him in the WJC but that's it. Even the scouting reports on him aren't exactly bountiful from what I've experienced. So, maybe he has better upside, or is even a safer prospect. But I don't know enough, so I can't put him ahead of Lindgren, who I have seen and really like.

Same for a guy like Meskanen vs. Virta. I know more about Virta and have watched him a little. I've read more about him. Meskanen and Virta had comparable seasons last year, but Virta was more of a "known" the year before and therefore I have more exposure to him. I have them very close but I give the edge to the guy I know more about and feel more comfortable with.

Lindgren has that kind of all business on the ice Lias kind of attitude. He is an 'Alpha' type---something the Rangers have been in short supply of. He's physical despite not being very big and he's smart but he's more the stay at home classic type of D. Rykov has a bit more upside potential in the offensive part of the game.....but he should be fine defensively. More of a two way D than a stay at home. I don't think either is going to have an issue moving the puck up out of their zone. I expect Lindgren to be the more physical, leader kind of player but Rykov's got better size and I don't think he's going to have an issue playing physically either. They're both really good prospects. They both look like they'll be dependable steady NHL players.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I understand completely and I'm in the same boat on every point you just mentioned.

If we ignore the exceptional status for a minute, his natural abilities have allowed him to put together a pair of very good post-draft seasons in the OHL. But, as Kreiderman said, his natural ability has also allowed him to cover up some pretty glaring mistakes.

I can honestly say I don't have a clear enough read on his trajectory one way or the other. I was talking to someone the other day and said almost the exact same thing you did --- I could see him in the NHL 10 years from now just as easily as I can see him in Europe at the conclusion of this contract.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I understand completely and I'm in the same boat on every point you just mentioned.

If we ignore the exceptional status for a minute, his natural abilities have allowed him to put together a pair of very good post-draft seasons in the OHL. But, as Kreiderman said, his natural ability has also allowed him to cover up some pretty glaring mistakes.

I can honestly say I don't have a clear enough read on his trajectory one way or the other. I was talking to someone the other day and said almost the exact same thing you did --- I could see him in the NHL 10 years from now just as easily as I can see him in Europe at the conclusion of this contract.

I'm curious if he's a player who could actually have success in Europe even if he had to go that route. Man alive is Day an interesting case.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm curious if he's a player who could actually have success in Europe even if he had to go that route. Man alive is Day an interesting case.

I could see him having a long, profitable career in Switzerland, Austria or Germany.

But yeah, Day is one of the more interesting prospects we have.

He's arguably one of out top skaters and best athletes, but questions about the decision making and understanding of the game persist.

Does it put him in over his head at the pro level? Or does his ability allow him to carve a role as a mid or bottom pairing NHL defenseman --- but an NHL player nonetheless.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I could see him having a long, profitable career in Switzerland, Austria or Germany.

But yeah, Day is one of the more interesting prospects we have.

He's arguably one of out top skaters and best athletes, but questions about the decision making and understanding of the game persist.

Does it put him in over his head at the pro level? Or does his ability allow him to carve a role as a mid or bottom pairing NHL defenseman --- but an NHL player nonetheless.

The bigger surface here in Europe would definitely benefit him. I think the EBHL is a bit too low for him. I think he can definitely make a profitable career in either the NLA or Liiga.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One of the issues Day could easily run into is having too many guys in front of him. He's going to have to impress enough to solidify a spot in Hartford's regular rotation. IMO he's got his work cut out for him. You have to figure he's going to be competing against at least some of Smith, Kampfer, Pionk, ADA, Lindgren, Hajek, Gilmour, O'Gara, Bigras most of whom have some NHL experience and still there's going to be Crawley and Pedrie too. He's in a tough spot and if the Rangers add another D or two it's going to push him down further and next year Rykov and Keane might join the party.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Interesting choices. Two high-risk/high-reward guys with Ronning and Day. Two low-reward but near lock NHL-ers in Georgiev and Lindgren.

Tie goes to Georgiev, who has NHL games under his belt.

Add Vitra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->