Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #6

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
D Ryan Graves easily won round 5. RW Robin Kovacs is added to the poll.

RULES CHANGE:

Since HF no longer functions beyond the forum, no reason to have their old rules. We do, however, need the same rules for everyone or else the rankings mean nothing.

SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games. Therefore, Adam Clendening has now graduated with 60 NHL games under his belt and the full season on the NHL roster.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here. Hrivik falls under this exception.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
2. LW Jimmy Vesey
3. D Brady Skjei
4. G Igor Shesterkin
5. D Ryan Graves

Ryan Graves
Defense -- shoots L
Born May 21 1995 -- Yarmouth, NS
Height 6.4 -- Weight 220

2016-17 Hartford Wolf Pack AHL 36GP 5-13-18 30PIM

Capture4.jpg

AVAILABLE TO BE ADDED

GOALIES

1. G Mackenzie Skapski
2. G Brandon Halverson

DEFENSEMEN

1. D John Gilmour
2. D Michael Paliotta
3. D Tarmo Reunanen
4. D Tyler Nanne
5. D Tommy Hughes
6. D Troy Donnay

FORWARDS

1. LW Ryan Gropp
2. C/LW Marek Hrivik
3. RW Nicklas Jensen
4. LW Malte Stromwall
5. C Adam Tambellini
6. C Brad Morrison
7. LW Tim Gettinger
8. RW Ty Ronning
9. C Gabriel Fontaine
10. C Steven Fogarty
11. RW Daniel Bernhardt

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am going off-the-board and voting for Tyler Wall. His numbers are terrific at 13-4-1, 1.95 and .927 through 18 games games. That is very strong for an 18 year old. None of the other 3 goalies for the same team have anything nearly as good suggesting he's a driver, not a passenger, which is very rare for an 18-year-old freshman. Usually college kids only take a driver role in their Junior or Senior season.

Add Hrivik because he can play in the NHL right now.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Huska. Add Paliotta

Organizational strength is in goal. Our ranking should reflect it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I will explain the Wall pick further:

I do like Huska. I love his experience as a two-time starting goalie in the WJC where he got a ton of work against really strong teams. However, the reason for Wall is that he's almost a year younger, which matters in your prime development years. He has a slightly higher SV%, which does not matter much, but giving up .72 fewer goals per game matters, even if Wall is on a stronger team. The gap in GAA is just too big. It's not as if Wall is playing on a powerhouse - the other goalies on the team have a combined record of very mediocre 1-1-2.

As a younger goalie, even if you count Huska and Wall as even goalies, Wall has to be ranked higher because he has an extra year of development ahead of him.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I will explain the Wall pick further:

I do like Huska. I love his experience as a two-time starting goalie in the WJC where he got a ton of work against really strong teams. However, the reason for Wall is that he's almost a year younger, which matters in your prime development years. He has a slightly higher SV%, which does not matter much, but giving up .72 fewer goals per game matters, even if Wall is on a stronger team. The gap in GAA is just too big. It's not as if Wall is playing on a powerhouse - the other goalies on the team have a combined record of very mediocre 1-1-2.

As a younger goalie, even if you count Huska and Wall as even goalies, Wall has to be ranked higher because he has an extra year of development ahead of him.

Nonsense. GAA means exactly nothing to me as a stat for goalies.

While I think both goalies are fantastic, Wall plays on a far better team, and only sees 23 shots per game. Huska, on the other hand, sees 33 shots per game. Of course their GAAs are going to be totally skewed.

Wall being a year younger is a totally valid point, but the rest of your reasoning makes zero sense. Huska faces the tougher job night in and night out.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
How does Kovacs have a vote? Thats really confusing.

I hope he does well, but he just hasn't shown well in the AHL.

Yeah, I don't get that either. He's pretty much the last option I would choose. I still have hope that he'll adjust and become a legit prospect, but nothing he's done this season in the AHL would put him in my Top-10.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Huska, add Jensen. I'm going with adding Jensen, Paliotta, and then Gettinger for the polls.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Why are we not adding Hrivik if Jensen and Paliotta are being added?

I really do like Hrivik don't get me wrong, but there ain't a lick of NHL offensive capabilities in his game. He's smart defensively and good along the boards and that's about it. He's a 4th liner, albeit a good one. Jensen and Paliotta are both younger, Jensen has more offensive potential while also adding similar defensive abilities, and Paliotta is younger and fills a dire need.

It ain't a knock against Hrivik, but I just don't look at him as a prospect much anymore when he's 25, turning 26 and is gonna be at best a 4th liner.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
How does Kovacs have a vote? Thats really confusing.

I hope he does well, but he just hasn't shown well in the AHL.

Yeah, I don't get that either. He's pretty much the last option I would choose. I still have hope that he'll adjust and become a legit prospect, but nothing he's done this season in the AHL would put him in my Top-10.

Youngest player on the Pack.

Ya, he didn't light it up his first 30 games in the AHL, must be a bust.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Youngest player on the Pack.

Ya, he didn't light it up his first 30 games in the AHL, must be a bust.

No one is calling him a bust (yet), but were certainly questioning why he is so high up in the polls ... especially after getting a long look at him in Hartford this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nonsense. GAA means exactly nothing to me as a stat for goalies.

While I think both goalies are fantastic, Wall plays on a far better team, and only sees 23 shots per game. Huska, on the other hand, sees 33 shots per game. Of course their GAAs are going to be totally skewed.

Wall being a year younger is a totally valid point, but the rest of your reasoning makes zero sense. Huska faces the tougher job night in and night out.

I mentioned it in a different thread, Lowell is a really strong club whose philosophy is based around team defense. UConn on the other hand is an up-and-coming team who plays it much more wide-open and concedes way more opportunities.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
No one is calling him a bust (yet), but were certainly questioning why he is so high up in the polls ... especially after getting a long look at him in Hartford this year.

There shouldn't even be a "Yet".

He is 19 and people are throwing him off the top 10 list because as a 19 year old he isn't putting up tons of points in the AHL? It's absolutely hilarious.

How about when he is 21, and he can't put up numbers in the AHL, then we can start thinking about throwing him off the top 10 lists, but for some reason I think at that age he will be putting up pretty good numbers in the AHL if he's not at the NHL yet.

Some posters here are so impatient. Guy has the highest potential than probably anyone on the entire Pack team aside from Graves maybe, and that is debatable as well.

And while I probably don't really think he should be #5, I still gave him my vote because I'm a good guy like that and he deserves a bit of love from the few posters who bash him in the pack thread.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad