Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #6

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
In the first close vote of this voting, Brady Skjei won with 39% of the vote. Michael St. Croix is replacing him in the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: We can't all have different standards based on what we each want personally. We are on the HF board, so let's follow their rules. The standard for what's a prospect is here: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW Chris Kreider
2. LW Carl Hagelin
3. C J.T. Miller
4. D Dylan McIlrath
5. D Brady Skjei

Brady Skjei
Defense
Born Mar 26 1994 -- Lakeville, MN
Height 6.02 -- Weight 203

2012-13 U. of Minnesota WCHA 18 1 1 2 6

299913_226440660753413_116757645055049_629236_717520823_n_original.jpeg

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Hrivik for being a 20-year-old capable of playing on the first line in the AHL. Good size, good defense, good offense, what's not to like?

Close call between Jean and Noreau, but let's go with Jean because he's more polished.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Thomas, add Fogarty.

Fogarty seems to be yet another big guy that everyone pretends has high potential because everyone (understandably) wants us to get a power forward.

A. STATISTICS

- He was #6 in scoring on his BCHL team. While the total was high, it's due to the inferior level of the league and to be only #6 on the team isn't great.

- He then slipped to #8 on his BCHL team in playoff scoring. To score only 0.5 points per game against such weak opposition is not great. (Maybe he was told by the coaches not to try hard? Maybe he plays better with superior linemates? Maybe not.)

- He's now tied for the 14/15 place on his college team.

B. ACHIEVEMENT

- Failed to even come close to making Team USA in this year's WJC, the last he's eligible for.

- Merely a 4th liner in college this year.

- - Last year, his post-draft season, you'd expect that he would be a first liner on the BCHL team, even a strong one (because even a strong BCHL team is still far inferior to a decent college team). Instead he was merely an average player on his BCHL squad.

- Once you get out of the top-15 draft picks, power forwards have the lowest odds of cracking the NHL for the position they are drafted in. That's because everyone drafts them early and whoever is left for later rounds is usually not very good, with rare exception. While a regular third rounder has a 10% chance of becoming an NHL, power forwards are below 5%. That he lasted to round 3 isn't great.

C. SCOUTING REPORT

- Good size, good shot, not a great skater and will need to improve significantly, non-existent as a playmaker. Seems to be a slower, weaker version of Yogan, but with more time to develop, so he has more time to show improvement.

Not sure he deserves to be ranked very highly right now. While you can come up with an excuse for any of these (being outscored by undrafted players means nothing, his playing on the 4th line means nothing, he can still improve his skating, etc), I'm having a hard time pointing to something that actually speaks in his favor. Good size and a decent shot is not enough for the AHL, much less NHL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
To be honest, Beacon, i'm not left with a great deal of add options that i'm particularly enthused about anyways. Beyond Talbot, Yogan, Andersson, and perhaps Spelling, there is literally nothing.

Fogarty has a physical package and is developing in a solid program which puts him on my list of interests, but wouldn't call him a solid bet.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'm not sure how high Fogarty should be ranked, but it was noted when we drafted him that he's a project who will take a while to develop.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Fast again. My problem with Lindberg is, no one knows if he can sustain his level of offensive production - he came out of nowhere. I've watched about 10 games of Skelleftea, he's not a product of his linemates; however Fast has been scoring for a longer period of time AND been hampered by injuries, yet still playing at a very high level.
There's quite a drop-off after the guys available right now. Add Jean, he can produce at AHL-level.

Last edited:

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Fogarty seems to be yet another big guy that everyone pretends has high potential because everyone (understandably) wants us to get a power forward.

A. STATISTICS

- He was #6 in scoring on his BCHL team. While the total was high, it's due to the inferior level of the league and to be only #6 on the team isn't great.

- He then slipped to #8 on his BCHL team in playoff scoring. To score only 0.5 points per game against such weak opposition is not great. (Maybe he was told by the coaches not to try hard? Maybe he plays better with superior linemates? Maybe not.)

B. ACHIEVEMENT

- Failed to even come close to making Team USA in this year's WJC, the last he's eligible for.

- - Last year, his post-draft season, you'd expect that he would be a first liner on the BCHL team, even a strong one (because even a strong BCHL team is still far inferior to a decent college team). Instead he was merely an average player on his BCHL squad.

- Once you get out of the top-15 draft picks, power forwards have the lowest odds of cracking the NHL for the position they are drafted in. That's because everyone drafts them early and whoever is left for later rounds is usually not very good, with rare exception. While a regular third rounder has a 10% chance of becoming an NHL, power forwards are below 5%. That he lasted to round 3 isn't great.

C. SCOUTING REPORT

- Good size, good shot, not a great skater and will need to improve significantly, non-existent as a playmaker. Seems to be a slower, weaker version of Yogan, but with more time to develop, so he has more time to show improvement.

Not sure he deserves to be ranked very highly right now. While you can come up with an excuse for any of these (being outscored by undrafted players means nothing, his playing on the 4th line means nothing, he can still improve his skating, etc), I'm having a hard time pointing to something that actually speaks in his favor. Good size and a decent shot is not enough for the AHL, much less NHL.

Holy generalizations batman.

Did Fogarty kill your dog or something?

I am far from a Fogarty fan boy but the kid was drafted as a long-term project who is currently only a freshman in college.

You present a lot of information and statistics that one can derive from score sheets and researching the internet. A lot of that honestly is irrelevant in regards to his future and NHL potential. With most of these kids you really have to watch them play live numerous times and observe their progression. There's a lot of things they could excel at on the ice and have improved upon that you can't see on a stat sheet.

Patience, my friend.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Players eligible for addition:

Andersson
Bourque
Ceresnak
Delisle
Fogarty
Jean
McColgan
Missiaen
Niemi
Noreau
Parlett
Pashnin
Spelling
Stajcer
Talbot
Wilson
Yogan
Zuccarello

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

A. STATISTICS

B. ACHIEVEMENT

C. SCOUTING REPORT

Beacon, Fogarty looked great in camp over the summer. His offense has been slow to translate to the NCAA at this point but he is still a strong defensive center. IMO, if all breaks for him the Rangers would be looking at a 3rd line center. He hasn't had a terrible first year. He is on a deep team

I went Lindberg, add Fogarty

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Lindberg add Fogarty

I think Lindberg is a pretty sure thing to make the NHL at least as a 4th liner. With his great faceoff skill and good defensive game he has all the tools to be a good one in the NHL. With his offense showing this year in the SEL his ceiling could be as high as a 2nd liner. Anyway I think he has the best ratio of risk vs potential of the prospects left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad