Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #6

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
Lindberg, add Noreau.

Lindberg is having a better season than Fast ever had, and Fast seems to be a bit injury prone, so I'm giving Lindberg the edge. Lindberg also brings faceoff skills to the table.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lindberg, add Noreau.

Lindberg is having a better season than Fast ever had, and Fast seems to be a bit injury prone, so I'm giving Lindberg the edge. Lindberg also brings faceoff skills to the table.

Fasth is now averaging .77 points per game, which is just off Lindberg's pace of .82. Numbers aside, I think Fasth clearly has more offensive upside to his game, which is why I slightly favor him. Lindberg is more of a sure thing but Fasth's upside is appealing to me.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Fasth is now averaging .77 points per game, which is just off Lindberg's pace of .82. Numbers aside, I think Fasth clearly has more offensive upside to his game, which is why I slightly favor him. Lindberg is more of a sure thing but Fasth's upside is appealing to me.

This. Fast may be the hottest player in the SEL since he recovered from his injury.

Also, Lindberg's production has come out of nowhere in his year 21 season, whereas Fast has displayed offense all along. Don't get me wrong, I really like Lindberg - his defense and faceoffs have always made him appealing as a potential 3rd line guy and if it turns out that he's either taken a step forward late in his development and/or it was the same old story of a young guy getting put on a lower line and told to just focus on defense that kept him from showing hidden offensive talent before - hey, even freakin' better.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
This. Fast may be the hottest player in the SEL since he recovered from his injury.

Also, Lindberg's production has come out of nowhere in his year 21 season, whereas Fast has displayed offense all along. Don't get me wrong, I really like Lindberg - his defense and faceoffs have always made him appealing as a potential 3rd line guy and if it turns out that he's either taken a step forward late in his development and/or it was the same old story of a young guy getting put on a lower line and told to just focus on defense that kept him from showing hidden offensive talent before - hey, even freakin' better.

I don't know about hidden offensive talent, but his play certainly indicates that he can chip in at least offensively. It's always nice to see development from prospects and players. Lindberg picking up his play offensively while still being great defensively is similar to Del Zotto picking up his defensive play, etc. It just makes them more valuable players. I wouldn't expect Lindberg to ever score more than perhaps 35 points, but he can still be an incredibly valuable player.

I voted for Hrivik because I think he can make the most impact this season despite Fast having a higher upside and Lindberg becoming a better player in the long run.

Add Noreau.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't know about hidden offensive talent, but his play certainly indicates that he can chip in at least offensively. It's always nice to see development from prospects and players. Lindberg picking up his play offensively while still being great defensively is similar to Del Zotto picking up his defensive play, etc. It just makes them more valuable players. I wouldn't expect Lindberg to ever score more than perhaps 35 points, but he can still be an incredibly valuable player.

I voted for Hrivik because I think he can make the most impact this season despite Fast having a higher upside and Lindberg becoming a better player in the long run.

Add Noreau.

And this is why I love this portion of the rankings. Normally the first 5 are pretty set in stone. After that I like hearing people's opinions and why they think that way. I can't argue with the above even though I chose Lindberg. It's all about what you perceive is the next best player and what you base that on is up to you.

Bardof425*

Holy generalizations batman.

Did Fogarty kill your dog or something?

I am far from a Fogarty fan boy but the kid was drafted as a long-term project who is currently only a freshman in college.

You present a lot of information and statistics that one can derive from score sheets and researching the internet. A lot of that honestly is irrelevant in regards to his future and NHL potential. With most of these kids you really have to watch them play live numerous times and observe their progression. There's a lot of things they could excel at on the ice and have improved upon that you can't see on a stat sheet.

Patience, my friend.

This guy pisses in our wheaties more than anyone on the board. Get used to it. However, I don't see alot to be excited about with Fogarty either but give it time. He was a 3rd rounder and has pretty low expectations.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Are people down on Thomas?

I thought Thomas was a legit top-6 prospect and Lindberg and Hrivik more like third liners.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Are people down on Thomas?

I thought Thomas was a legit top-6 prospect and Lindberg and Hrivik more like third liners.

I'm not down on him at all. He has had a decent start to his first pro season. I am hoping he picks it up as the season moves along but I always thought he would take at least (2) years in the AHL before really pushing for a NHL spot. I just think Lindberg is closer to being a NHL player and I like his defensive game.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I guess I'm more voting for upside. Of course I voted for Miller over Hagelin too for that same reason.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
I voted for Fast. I have high expectations for him. I think he's got top 6 potential but would be really effective as a 3rd liner.

Add Fogarty.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
This guy pisses in our wheaties more than anyone on the board. Get used to it. However, I don't see alot to be excited about with Fogarty either but give it time. He was a 3rd rounder and has pretty low expectations.

About 2.5-3 years ago, someone here questioned where was my daily post talking about what a bright future full of homegrown talent we have. At the time, I expanded our prospect poll from the top-20 to top-30 because I felt that we had that many legitimate prospects. And I was right: Hagelin, Weise and Horak were not our top-20 prospects. I commented at the time, "this is probably the deepest prospect list that the Rangers had since HFboards began these rankings." I then wrote, "We can reasonably expect more than a dozen of these kids to play regularly in the NHL" and that too was accurate as 13 of those prospects eventually made the NHL.

When I ran the summer 2011 poll, I wrote at the end, "this is yet another very impressive group that will be a major part of the team in the years to come." And that group produced 10 NHLers.

Subsequently, however, I began seeing the quality go down, and the remaining prospects get overrated because teams pump up whoever they have. Our pool will produce 7-8 NHLers, and that's not bad at all, but it's clear that the farm is getting progressively weaker, with Hagelin and Kreider (and maybe some others) to graduate this calendar year. I'm not saying it's not normal for a team's farm quality to go down as the team improves.

But the fact remains that the farm today is weaker than it was 2-5 years ago. And when farms get worse overall, prospects tend to be pumped up beyond expectations. I remember when Tyutin was being pumped up like he's the God of the blueline. That's because there was nothing else to pump up, not because he was ever a mega-prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->