Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect poll: #2

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Because he had a good few games at Traverse City (so did Ryan Bourque) and was good in a pre-season game (So was Nejezchleb). People tend to overvalue the performances in these games.

Now, I am not saying Vesey is not going to be a good player, but to base this on the last few weeks is ridiculous. He won the Hobey Baker. Good for him. Still does not mean anything. He was not as dominant as he was last year. He was not even the best player nominated for the Hobey Baker. It feels like he got it because he didn't last year with Eichel receiving it.

Vesey has a lot to prove.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Because he had a good few games at Traverse City (so did Ryan Bourque) and was good in a pre-season game (So was Nejezchleb). People tend to overvalue the performances in these games.

Now, I am not saying Vesey is not going to be a good player, but to base this on the last few weeks is ridiculous. He won the Hobey Baker. Good for him. Still does not mean anything. He was not as dominant as he was last year. He was not even the best player nominated for the Hobey Baker. It feels like he got it because he didn't last year with Eichel receiving it.

Huh?

He was the leading goal scorer the last 2 years at the NCAA. He was the Hobey Baker winner last season, he signed with the Rangers already being a very highly touted prospect, people wanted to see if he could do it against other good prospects and he went ahead and led the tournament in points and goals, people wanted to see him vs pro players and he was one of the best players last game.

Sorry, but he has been good for years now, this just isn't "oh he had 1 good game and now everyone loves him".

Vesey has a lot to prove? So does EVERY ONE of the prospects. What kind of argument is that? None of these players are established NHLers. Vesey has done as much as he can to prove himself aside from making the NHL yet. I feel like 2 or 3 posters here really are rooting against this kid.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Kreiderman outlined it pretty well. He's looked like a stud in Traverse and in these last few games against barely-NHL squads.

Skjei dominated the AHL and played well in games 4 and 5 against Pitt. To me, Skjei has the better resume up this point, even with his piss poor game against the Islanders.

Edit: Also, Kyle Connor should've won the Hobey Baker. It's really not even close.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Yea I struggled with the choice between Vesey and Skjei. Very close call. Also no doubt Connor should have won the Hobey Baker. Potential franchise player.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Huh?

He was the leading goal scorer the last 2 years at the NCAA. He was the Hobey Baker winner last season, he signed with the Rangers already being a very highly touted prospect, people wanted to see if he could do it against other good prospects and he went ahead and led the tournament in points and goals, people wanted to see him vs pro players and he was one of the best players last game.

Sorry, but he has been good for years now, this just isn't "oh he had 1 good game and now everyone loves him".

Vesey has a lot to prove? So does EVERY ONE of the prospects. What kind of argument is that? None of these players are established NHLers. Vesey has done as much as he can to prove himself aside from making the NHL yet. I feel like 2 or 3 posters here really are rooting against this kid.

The hype is huge. The Rangers organization pushing him on social media with a video explaining why he picked his number etc. People are going to be disappointed with 35 points.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
And I'm not saying that Vesey isn't one of our top prospects. I have him between 3rd and 4th, possibly with the slight nod to Shesterkin.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The hype is huge. The Rangers organization pushing him on social media with a video explaining why he picked his number etc. People are going to be disappointed with 35 points.

What does the hype have to do with anything? Whatever hype he has he deserves and hasn't disappointed thus far from that very limited exposure he's had.

You keep bringing up this "People are going to be disappointed with 35 points" line, but yet nobody aside from maybe 1 or 2 people have said that if he doesn't put up 35-40 point than he is was a letdown. Nobody is saying that, so i'm not sure why you keep claiming people are. If anyone is over hyping him, it's you from those comments.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What does the hype have to do with anything? Whatever hype he has he deserves and hasn't disappointed thus far from that very limited exposure he's had.

You keep bringing up this "People are going to be disappointed with 35 points" line, but yet nobody aside from maybe 1 or 2 people have said that if he doesn't put up 35-40 point than he is was a letdown. Nobody is saying that, so i'm not sure why you keep claiming people are.

Vesey winning this poll with such an overwhelming amount of votes shows the epitome of recency bias, according to Mac and Gs. That was what I was referring to.

Yes, I voted for Vesey, but I understand why people would pick Shestyorkin or Skjei over Vesey, since they already have pro experience.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

name one guy on the list that doesn't have a lot to prove...once they have proven themselves they are no longer prospects and come off the list

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

He was one of the top 2 college players for 2 years. He was consistently ranked among the top 20 prospects in the league for 2 years by everyone. He has the size, the speed, the shot, the smarts, the vision on par with solid NHL players. And then he had a good Traverse and preseason. What's the problem?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I know this round is over, but I'll hold off the next round until after the game to give everyone a chance to look at our kids one more time. No need to rush it by a few hours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad