Prospect Info: Rangers Prospect Poll: #16

Who is our #16 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
D Calle Sjalin won round 15. D John Gilmour is added to the poll.

WHO IS A PROSPECT:

SKATER PROSPECT: A player 24 or younger with 50 or fewer NHL games.

GOALIE PROSPECT: A player 25 or younger with 25 or fewer NHL games.

EXCEPTION 1: If a player completed the required 50/25 games, but is still not regarded as an NHL regular because he's shuffling between the NHL and the AHL, he could still be a prospect as long as he's 24 or younger and if agreed upon by most people here.

EXCEPTION 2: A player who is no older than 25 years old at the time of the vote and is a borderline NHLer could still count if agreed upon by most people here.

Please vote on who to add to the next round of polling.

Calle Sjalin
Defense -- shoots L
Born Sep 2 1999
Height 6.01 -- Weight 179

Leksands IFAllsvenskan19GP0116PIM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PROSPECT RANKINGS

1. G Igor Shesterkin
2. C Lias Andersson
3. C Filip Chytil
4. D Anthony DeAngelo
5. RW Vinni Lettieri
6. D Ryan Graves
7. C/LW Boo Nieves
8. D Neal Pionk
9. D Sean Day
10. RW Ty Ronning
11. C Morgan Barron
12. D Alexei Bereglazov
13. G Adam Huska
14. C Patrick Virta
15. D Calle Sjalin

AVAILABLE TO BE ADDED

GOALIES

G Alexandar Georgiev
G Brandon Halverson
G Chris Nell
G Tyler Wall

DEFENSEMEN

D Tarmo Reunanen
D Vince Pedrie

FORWARDS

C Adam Tambellini
RW Daniel Bernhardt
LW Dawson Leedahl
C Dominik Lakatos
RW Nicklas Jensen
C Steven Fogarty
RW Tyler Nanne

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Toss up between Fontaine and Gettinger for me... Went with Fontaine because he's doing well (given context of usage) in the AHL.

Add Lakatos

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Don't understand how Leedahl is not even in the poll, but Gropp is getting votes. Almost identical stats last season in the WHL, very similar points per game in the AHL this season, almost the same size, plus Leedahl is more of a spark plug player. At worst, they should be about even, not vastly apart.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I really don't think there's any reason why Gropp should be ahead of Fontaine. Fontaine was the better player in CHL and he's the better player in AHL... Gropp has his shot but that's all he's got honestly...

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Don't understand how Leedahl is not even in the poll, but Gropp is getting votes. Almost identical stats last season in the WHL, very similar points per game in the AHL this season, almost the same size, plus Leedahl is more of a spark plug player. At worst, they should be about even, not vastly apart.

I think people have to be anchoring to the fact that Gropp was a 2nd round pick, even though it was 2.5 years ago and isn't that relevant anymore. An offense-first player who isn't even putting up a third of a point a game in the AHL is not on track to be an NHL player unless something changes drastically.

Reactions: Beacon

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think people have to be anchoring to the fact that Gropp was a 2nd round pick, even though it was 2.5 years ago and isn't that relevant anymore. An offense-first player who isn't even putting up a third of a point a game in the AHL is not on track to be an NHL player unless something changes drastically.

Maybe you guys are judging him more harshly for the exact same reason. I never liked the pick at the time, and haven't seen anything to make me change my mind, but there's a bit of a double standard here.

If Sjalin can come over in two years and have a similar AHL impact, people will be content with his development.

Leedahl rides inflated junior numbers and has a game that translates well to the pro level. But his skillset is dwarfed by Gropp's, and you guys make it sound like the two are interchangeable.

I'm from a little town near where Michael Ryder grew up, and I remember the hype around him when he had his second AHL season and scored at 0.5 PPG. He was a late (7th?) round pick, so people were just happy he was producing. Gropp is bigger, faster, and putting up better numbers than him as a shoot first pro rookie, but we're supposed to call him, what, our 20th best prospect?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Maybe you guys are judging him more harshly for the exact same reason. I never liked the pick at the time, and haven't seen anything to make me change my mind, but there's a bit of a double standard here.

If Sjalin can come over in two years and have a similar AHL impact, people will be content with his development.

Leedahl rides inflated junior numbers and has a game that translates well to the pro level. But his skillset is dwarfed by Gropp's, and you guys make it sound like the two are interchangeable.

I'm from a little town near where Michael Ryder grew up, and I remember the hype around him when he had his second AHL season and scored at 0.5 PPG. He was a late (7th?) round pick, so people were just happy he was producing. Gropp is bigger, faster, and putting up better numbers than him as a shoot first pro rookie, but we're supposed to call him, what, our 20th best prospect?

His GF% is sub 30% last i checked while Fontaine is over 50%, their prodution is similar and Fontaine has arguably had the tougher usage (more Selleck, less PP)... So please, tell me one good reason to rank Gropp ahead of Fontaine?

Fontaine was also the better player in the CHL, he was played as a 2nd line matchup guy on one of the best teams in the CHL, Gropp was playing "softer" top line minutes feeding off the best playmaker in the CHL. Gropp is a very one dimensional player and that one dimension isn't good enough to outweigh his flaws (atleast not yet, i'm not completely counting him out).

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I still had some hope for Gropp earlier this year but after half a season in the AHL I simply see him as someone replacing Tambo in the top 6 in Hartford and nothing more. I hope two solid years in the AHL he could develop into a depth 3rd liner but I am not hopeful this will happen. Hard for me to rate him higher now.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
His GF% is sub 30% last i checked while Fontaine is over 50%, their prodution is similar and Fontaine has arguably had the tougher usage (more Selleck, less PP)... So please, tell me one good reason to rank Gropp ahead of Fontaine?

Fontaine was also the better player in the CHL, he was played as a 2nd line matchup guy on one of the best teams in the CHL, Gropp was playing "softer" top line minutes feeding off the best playmaker in the CHL. Gropp is a very one dimensional player and that one dimension isn't good enough to outweigh his flaws (atleast not yet, i'm not completely counting him out).

There's definitely an argument for Fontaine. As I said before, I see them as a coin flip.

But if they are both in the AHL next year, Gropp will outscore Fontaine. It's not like Fontaine has suddenly become better than him at putting the puck in the net; they both had bumpy starts to the season, but have found their footing in their roles (Fontaine to a greater degree).

If Gropp can smooth out his game and he finds chemistry with a centre who can possess the puck and make smart passes (Andersson perhaps), then he will be a dangerous middle six scorer at even the NHL level.

That's enough for me to vote for him.

EDIT - Either way, I have no desire to go back and forth on who should be voted our 16th best prospect. Your's, along with two or three other posters' opinions on prospects are those I hold in the most regard. Keep fighting for your guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad