#10 Prospect

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
concur
not having idiot C quinn bias favoring Howden a huge +
now pls, just give him a fair chance w/a line that can succeed.

LaF - Chytil - Gauthier

Why do that to Laf? He did nothing to deserve that level of punishment.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So you will play Gauthier over Kakko and Kravtsov? The whole point of trading Buchnevich was to get them top 6 minutes.

if I did the lines
Kakko-Krav-Panarin

LaF - Chytil - Gauthier

for now
Kreider - Zib - Blais/Jones

Reeves - Goodrow - Barron

KK + VK get mins
Strome is dealt

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Well he has to deal with Gallant bias favoring Blais, Reaves, and Goodrow now so Gauthier is pretty boned now. He's going to have to have a real breakout training camp to even crack this roster.

hopefully coach goes w/best chemistry
Goodrow is high end 4C
Blais 3RW w/Kreider + Zib but let's see
Reeves gets his 4LW mins on checking line vs other teams' first line

Gauthier is best combo of
bull factor
scoring potential
etc
to mesh w/ LaF + Chytil

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Add Korczak.

He was my favorite of the guys we drafted that I've been able to watch video on and I'd have him ahead of a bunch of the guys who are up there for voting now.

He reminds me of a lot of the Tampa Bay forwards in that he's a skilled playmaker but also competes really hard and drives play despite being a smaller guy. In the game I watched, he held his own against Guhle and Weisblatt, who were both obviously first rounders last year. He's active defensively and can win puck battles, he was the main zone entry guy on his team and can transport the puck, and he's a creative, deceptive playmaker in the offensive zone who creates scoring chances.

If he wasn't 5'10", it seems like he could have been an early second / late first pick and I think there's a case he's a better prospect than he looks like on paper. Firstly, he matched up against the other teams top line, so he was playing against a lot of guys who are going to be NHL players like Guhle and Weisblatt. Secondly, he had a pretty limited supporting cast on a weak Moose Jaw team. In a better situation, I think it's possible he would have been a much more highly regarded prospect.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Voted Gauthier, felt like every game I watched him play last season he broke into the other teams zone and wired a shot into the post in the 1. period before he got benched in period 2 and 3. I believe there is a nice middle 6 scorer with speed in him. Hopefully he can start to use his big body more, and also be a decent PK'er.

Berard and Cuylle also got some really nice potential, and Reunanen should have had more NHL ice-time to show us what he can be instead of playing Hajek and JMFJ all the time last year.

Reactions: bernmeister

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did nobody watch the WJC? Berard has the kind of impact on games that people imagine Gauthier having if he didn’t play like Bambi on skates.

Gauthier was a P/GP player at the World Juniors in his D+1 but yeah... Go ahead and compare Berard's WJC games to Gauthier's NHL games thinking that's a valid comparison.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
what?
gave him most shots
also gave LaF a facilitator who will help get him the puck
also a bull who can drive the puck

why negative?

Are we talking about Gauthier?

I have a pretty bad cold and feel like shit and am too lazy to look again, but you can't be talking about Gauthier.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
sorry you are under the weather
look above to post 28, I was responding to you referencing LaF

for your convenience...

"what?
gave him most shots
also a bull who can drive the puck"

Okay. I re-read the posts.

What does gave him most shots mean?

Gauthier is a facilitator in what way?

He is a bull, but when he did bull, it never seemed to result in anything.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Feels weird for Gauthier to still be on this list, but I'm going with him here and then Berard next. I know Gauthier had a rough year last year, but he still was an incredible goal scorer in his first few AHL seasons, and I still think there's potential there. Berard is probably one of my favorite prospects in our pool, and he perfectly fits that mold of mid-round support player that can play with higher-end talent. BOS, CHI, and PIT always do well finding similar types of guys.

Add Lamb

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
"what?
gave him most shots
also a bull who can drive the puck"

Okay. I re-read the posts.

He is a bull, but when he did bull, it never seemed to result in anything.

We want all to succeed
LaF needs to get his shots, and fit w/linemates.

While Chytil and Gauthier will get theirs too, LaF would be the guy they look to get scoring from, not unlike there is a heads up for breadman on his line.

Gauthier is not the facilitator in this one. That is Chytil, who has sufficient 2C + level passing etc skills.

Gauthier here is driver of play. Like Kreider, he forces the puck deep in on the attack.

As to
"He is a bull, but when he did bull, it never seemed to result in anything."

the key here is correct line.
Can't expect most players to just have immediate results w/just anyone on the same line.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Gauthier was a P/GP player at the World Juniors in his D+1 but yeah... Go ahead and compare Berard's WJC games to Gauthier's NHL games thinking that's a valid comparison.
Gauthier was 19 & Berard was 18, and it’s not like they were just a month apart and Berard bday was around the corner. Gauthier was one of the very oldest players in his draft because he’s an October birthday. Berard was the youngest as he was born a few days before the cutoff. So a year younger Berard put up 5pts in 7gp (while being an absolute thorn in the side of opponents, go read the main boards about the tournament everyone was raving about Berard) compared to 7 in 7 for Gauthier. But Berard was a 5th round pick!! The only player younger than Berard was Beniers (who Berard outproduced in the tournament) Gauthier was a 1st rounder and has trended downward, and looked pretty bad in the NHL. I’d say at this point Gauthier has way less potential than Berard

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I think Berard and Gauthier are close here, but I want to see what Berard does with a full year at Providence before putting him over a guy who has had success at every level until he reached the NHL. I think, as usual, a lot of these arguments come down to potential vs floor.

Add Grubbe

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

We want all to succeed
LaF needs to get his shots, and fit w/linemates.

While Chytil and Gauthier will get theirs too, LaF would be the guy they look to get scoring from, not unlike there is a heads up for breadman on his line.

Gauthier is not the facilitator in this one. That is Chytil, who has sufficient 2C + level passing etc skills.

Gauthier here is driver of play. Like Kreider, he forces the puck deep in on the attack.

As to
"He is a bull, but when he did bull, it never seemed to result in anything."

the key here is correct line.
Can't expect most players to just have immediate results w/just anyone on the same line.

I'm still unclear how you reach the conclusion that Gauthier will be a better asset towards getting shots on goal for Laf than anyone else.

I also believe that Laf will get plenty of chances based solely on his own abilities.

Also, Laf will be great at creating scoring chances for his linemates. Has Gauthier shown you he's a finisher, because I haven't seen it.

As for Chytil, I hate him at center, so far. He seems like a finisher on the wing, to me.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not really sure what the hope is for Gauthier, at this point. Yes, he has a great skill set, but he hasn't come even remotely close to putting it together. You see him skate hard to net the maybe once every other game. He has the body to dominate in the corners and bully other players, but you rarely see him do that. Almost every shift he takes he's completely invisible (other than the visibility of being a huge, gifted player who doesn't do shit).

There's some small chance that he magically puts it together, but I don't really see it as particularly likely. He doesn't do anything well enough to play in the bottom six and he doesn't produce offense--for himself or others--enough to justify a spot in the top six over our 43 other wingers.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
Give him 10 games under the new coach. That is if he makes it out of training camp. Lots and lots of bottom-6 competition this years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad