News Article: Rangers on team USA

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Team USA update:
Great news, up to 3 players may be on the US team for the Olympics. Ryan Callahan is in, Ryan McDonagh is all but officially in, and Derek Stepan has a great chance, as well.

Three Rangers players were invited to Team USA’s orientation camp in Arlington, Va., in August. There’s a good chance all three will represent the United States at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, in February, as well.

Not sure what Poile is thinking but that Callahan guy is so overrated. :sarcasm:

Poile on Callahan: “We had a leadership group and we met with them ahead of the orientation camp in Washington (in August), and Ryan was invited to that. You’re never 100% sure on those situations, but he was one of the guys that we chose to be on the leadership group, so is that a good enough clue?”

Poile on McDonagh: “McDonagh’s played very well for the last couple years. All of the reports we’ve had this year have been really good. He’s played really, really well. I’m very confident that he’s got an excellent chance of being on the team.”

Poile on Stepan: “Derek has gotten better and better as the season has gone on. Obviously a little bit of missing training camp, which from the management side that’s critical, not a good thing. But his play of late has been much, much better, and I see he’s second in scoring on the Rangers. That’s what we’re going to need. Center ice is a critical area for us. We have really good centermen, but we’re not really, really deep in centers. So I’m trying to say it the correct way: We would like Derek to be on the team.”

It's be neat if Stepan makes it.

And finally I don't think Kreider will make it but it's good that he on the radar.
Poile on Chris Kreider, since he was asked about him: “(He) started the year off in minors. I’ve personally been very impressed with his play of late. I’m probably not saying anything that the Rangers haven’t said, which is (it comes down to) consistency. That’s always what you want to do is get that consistency. He’s got that big body, he’s a great skater. He just has to put it all together for them. So (he’s) a little bit of a late addition to our evaluations, but like I said, he’s playing very well right now. My favorite saying in this (type of) circumstance is we’re not gonna make any decisions until we have to, and that’s not until Jan. 1, so that’ll be right up until there.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/2013/11/team-usa-gm-david-poile-callahan-in-for-olympics-mcdonagh-has-excellent-chance-stepa

Edit:
Other players who have been invited to camp by other teams
Staal and Nash for team Canada.
Hank, Hagelin and Lindberg for team Sweden
Zuke for team Norway.

Last edited:

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Great news, up to 3 players may be on the team for the Olympics. Ryan Callahan is in, Ryan McDonagh is all but officially in, and Derek Stepan has a great chance, as well.

Not sure what Poile is thinking but that Callahan guy is so overrated. :sarcasm:

It's be neat if Stepan makes it.

And finally I don't think Kreider will make it but it's good that he on the radar.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/2013/11/team-usa-gm-david-poile-callahan-in-for-olympics-mcdonagh-has-excellent-chance-stepa
callahan and stepan i expected. Stepan has points BUT he has been inconsistent in terms of getting involved in plays especially the last 4-5 games or so. i think he will ake the team but i wnat him to be more involved than he hes been. In regard to kreider its tough for rookies to make teh team anyway so it is a longshot but the fact that he has being looked at shows his growth since his callup

Dorado*

Anything can happen I regards to CK making the team . Even as a 4 th line energy guy . There will be injuries inevitably ( hopefully none of our guys ) in next 5 weeks . CK has great results internationally and the big ice and his big body and speed are a perfect fit .

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Team USA's strengths will certainly be defense and goaltending. They're going to need to win games 2-1, 3-2, etc...

****, I really, really love the Olympics. Like, really. I can't wait.

Very surprised to see that Kreider is on the radar at all, but that's about the extent to which I forsee Kreider's Olympic future... at least for 2014. Callahan and McDonagh are certainly locks. Stepan could definitely be there too, but that's more a showing of how weak the USA's center-depth is.

D and goaltending. Take it home John, Jimmy, and Ryan :nod:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I remember the days of Richter and Leetch representing team USA. The '96 World Cup cemented Richter's legacy as a big-game goalie.

So we're looking at Lundqvist, Callahan, McDonagh definitely. Nash and Stepan probably. Hagelin and Kreider slim shot. Plenty to watch for during the Games.

Always thought Staal would inevitably participate the Olympics at some point in his career. He seems to have plateau'd since 2010-11. Can't blame him considering the injuries he's dealt with.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I remember the days of Richter and Leetch representing team USA. The '96 World Cup cemented Richter's legacy as a big-game goalie.

So we're looking at Lundqvist, Callahan, McDonagh definitely. Nash and Stepan probably. Hagelin and Kreider slim shot. Plenty to watch for during the Games.

Always thought Staal would inevitably participate the Olympics at some point in his career. He seems to have plateau'd since 2010-11. Can't blame him considering the injuries he's dealt with.

What about Zucc's? Did Norway not make it?

EDIT - Norway is in. Zuccarello will be there.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yes, sorry.

Don't be sorry, even more games to watch!!

I remember being super-impressed with Zuccs during the 2010 games. I called on my blog that he'd be in the NHL the next season after I watched Norway's first game (toot, toot). Was very excited it was the Rangers who gave him that shot.

Him and Vikingstad ripped **** up. We should have signed Tore, too.

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
I get excited for the olympics and I think the US has a good team, definitely strong in goal, even without Quick, and defense. Then I look at the Canadian roster and reality sets in.
Anyway not surprised to see any of those Rangers' names mentioned.

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
He should be but some of articles I read had
Suter
Yandle
Johnson
Carlson
Orpik
Shattenkirk
All ahead of Ryan and one guy even mentioned Seth Jones SMH .

I'd take MCD over Johnson or Carlson. Need another shut down d besides Suter. Canada is going to roll at least 3 solid offensively strong lines. Russians and Swedes will have some serious firepower as well.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Just to get on the outside radar is a nice testament to Kreider in how far he has come this young season, good for him, keep it up CK!

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I would actually not be at all surprised if Hagelin made Sweden's roster.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Team USA will have 7 defensemen and Ryan will be one of them. Orpik, Jones, Gleason may be in competition for the #7 spot.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I would actually not be at all surprised if Hagelin made Sweden's roster.

off the top of my head i cant think of how he doesnt make the team.

Sedin
Sedin
Landeskog
Zetterberg
Backstrom
Steen
Erikson

ud think they are locks. prob missing a player or 2. hagelin is an ideal 4th liner on an olympic team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad