Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Ryan McDonagh captain

Championship*

i kind of feel the same way. I wasnt thrilled with leech as captain, nor jagr. Bother we great players, but both were soft spoken, secondary leadership type guys.

I dont know alot about Mac's personality. i do think he may be a bit more of a leader than leetch and jagr were, but i'm not sure he's the vocal, respect demanding type that a captain needs to be. I hope I am proved wrong. I'd say at the moment, its an "ok" choice based on what i know of him.

Fun fact: Not all Captains are this

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Chicago with one Jonathan Toews...twice...

from what i've heard, hes quite vocal in the locker room and the bench......

Saw examples of it on the HBO thing when they followed chicago that year, no ?

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
The obvious choice. Congratulations Ryan. I'm hoping you are a career Ranger.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Fun fact: Not all Captains are this

The memory that sticks with McD was when Richards was in that terrible funk two seasons ago. After a particularly tough game after which Richards was very upset, McDonagh just sat quietly by him. Not saying anything just supporting him.

I was very impressed by that.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Pretty amazing that some think you can only be an effective captain if you are extremely vocal. That's just not the case. It's different for everyone.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
People have taken issue with the idea of a "quiet captain" since the Leetch captaincy; even if that debacle had more to do with the overall state of the team than anything he did or didn't do.

That and the fact people will never get over Messier leaving/retiring. If the only captain to win a cup in 900 years was a loud and in your face guy... it must be the only way. Guys like Stevie Y and Super Joe have already put that notion to bed.

McD was obviously a leader already. This is just making it official. Good for him.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Look, I understand him taking some heat. I wasn't thrilled with his production last year. But there's a huge leap from feeling his production is disappointing to "he just wants to cash checks."

And to be fair in either direction (and not to derail this thread) but I think folks are happy he "cares" now.

But they may also wish he had "cared" last season and maybe his lack of production in the post season wouldn't have been the glaring issue it was.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
And to be fair in either direction (and not to derail this thread) but I think folks are happy he "cares" now.

But they may also wish he had "cared" last season and maybe his lack of production in the post season wouldn't have been the glaring issue it was.

He didn't perform well, but he certainly played his butt off in the playoffs last season. If you recall, there was that big concussion which really seemed to derail his season…

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
He didn't perform well, but he certainly played his butt off in the playoffs last season. If you recall, there was that big concussion which really seemed to derail his season…

He did play a lot better in the post season at times. That didn't help the puck find the net unfortunately.

But he came into the season (prior to the concussion) in less than stellar shape. Something I always find shocking for a pro athlete, being that health and shape are HUGE parts of how they make a living.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He did play a lot better in the post season at times. That didn't help the puck find the net unfortunately.

But he came into the season (prior to the concussion) in less than stellar shape. Something I always find shocking for a pro athlete, being that health and shape are HUGE parts of how they make a living.

I don't really want to derail this too much but do you have a link to info about Nash being out of shape last training camp? Or is it just what AV said this year about him being in much better shape?

I tend to think that when we hear "so and so is in training camp out of shape" that it doesn't exactly mean they're fat and huffing and puffing all over the place, just not in the ideal condition for what the coach wants them to do. I'm sure Nash trained last summer and did what he normally does but if AV had different expectations for his fitness level then what he normally did might not be what he should have been doing.

We heard that he actually changed his routine this summer, not that he just worked harder.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good thing we live in a vacuum...
This is not a vacuum and I am not a McD detractor. However, a case can be made that he may have needed another several seasons of seasoning. A case can also be made the both Staal & Girardi are better leaders, while McD is better off being a sargent

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is not a vacuum and I am not a McD detractor. However, a case can be made that he may have needed another several seasons of seasoning. A case can also be made the both Staal & Girardi are better leaders, while McD is better off being a sargent

Without being in the locker room ourselves I'm not sure much of a case can be made either way.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
The Cs and the As probably indicate more to the fans than it does to the players. There's a wealth of leadership and players who have all done it before. Staal and Girardi in this room, MSL in his career and in the playoffs. I think it's safe to say that even if Mac isn't 100% up for the task, there's no downside to naming a franchise player your captain at the first available opportunity.

I think we need Richards opinion on this. He wasn't a fan of the Callahan captaincy probably because Callahan didn't talk much and Richards probably took the faux-captain role like last playoffs.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
After that caps rangers playoff game when McD got a delay of game penalty lost cuz of that and then he was crying after the game shows that a player who cares about this team. That's who I want as a captain and I'm very Happy he is one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad