Confirmed with Link: Rangers name Ryan McDonagh captain

Championship*

Not sure it's that blatant that you have to be generalizing anyone who doesn't agree with you as blind and deaf. Seems a little strong, lol. It should come as no surprise, of course that he's the cap

There were a ton of people trying to say that it would be someone else even though the evidence (his play, comments from his teammates, comments from people who follow the team) was right in front of their face.

If you (not YOU, but the royal "you") didn't see this coming then you're not paying attention at all.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I really wonder how Mcdonagh would have turned out if Tortorella was still his coach...I'm not a Torts basher but the hiring of AV might have been the best move Sather made recently in terms of allowing some guys like McDonagh to grow their game

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Yes! I still remember McD's first goal against the Devils in 2011. Since then, he has grown into an elite two way defenseman right before our eyes, and now he's captain. So happy for Ryan. He was far and away the best choice for the C.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Clearly Nash cares if he spent so much time in the summer working out and getting more fit. I don't understand how some people can see how much fat he lost, and then go on saying how he doesn't care about winning.

#NashCares

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
That really doesn't seem fair. I know Nash had a ****** year and his no-show in the playoffs may have cost us a Cup, but I don't get the impression that he doesn't care. People said the same about Richards and that clearly wasn't true. Any time a guy makes a lot of money and then struggles it's apparently because he doesn't care, according to fans. I don't get that.

I actually really liked how nash played in the playoffs. He was physical. He hit. He went to the dirty areas. He played his butt off every game both attacking and defending.

I'll take that nash over the regular season nash anyday. The goal drought was just a lot of bad luck. Not a lack of effort

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Was hoping Zuccarello would get a letter, but there is also the advantage of not having the pressure a letter adds

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
was hoping MSL would be named captain so mcdonagh could grow into more of a leadership role the next 2 years, but its not a bad decision to give him the C now either.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
Was hoping Zuccarello would get a letter, but there is also the advantage of not having the pressure a letter adds

He's sitting on a one year deal, yet again that he took with the team in mind instead of himself.

Hopefully the organization doesn't backstab him and send him on his way after this season. I think the fanbase would riot.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
That play when rookie Mcdonagh retrieved the puck in the corner to Hank's right, faked backhanding it up the wall, skated backwards with it, turned and took off up the ice.

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
Congrats to Ryan, well deserved and so happy he's locked up for the next 5 years at an awesome cap hit

For some reason the first highlight of McD that popped into my head after the announcement was the gift goal on Quick during the regular season on the PK when he cleared it and Quick misplayed it resulting in a goal :D

WVULax22

Apr 8, 2014
Congrats to RM.

Now, as far as Nash goes- I would not e surprised to see Nash have a big year. His lack of goal scoring in the playoffs might have lit a fire underneath him for this season. Who knows, maybe we'll see Angry Nash all season. :amazed:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Crazy if you think about where McDonagh came from, in a trade for Gomez and a player that Sather didnt even know of.

He came into his first camp and impressed but still had a lot to work on and i don't think any of us would've imagined that 4 short years later he would be given the C. There were moments in 2011-2012 where you saw flashes of greatness and then from there on he just kept building and building (and still is imo).

I was so impressed with his intensity level and focus he showed, even in interviews going through the postseason in 2012 that my eyes were really opened as to what kind of player we really had here. He is a special kid who is crazy competitive and even keeled. He leads by example and is willing to do anything to win. He is a talent on defense that possesses a skill set we haven't seen since Brian Leetch. Thats a captain folks.

Congrats to Mac. I am thrilled he is our new captain. As much as I loved Cally I believe he will be an even better captain than him. This will make Mac an even better player. Great for the team and the fans to have him don the C.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Congrats to RM.

Now, as far as Nash goes- I would not e surprised to see Nash have a big year. His lack of goal scoring in the playoffs might have lit a fire underneath him for this season. Who knows, maybe we'll see Angry Nash all season. :amazed:

I actually thought Nash had a small opportunity to get off on the right foot in the shootout of the home game against Chicago. The game was on his stick right there and I was really hoping he would net one to get off on the right foot, even if it was just preseason. It was an intense game and i think the crowd was ready to lift him up there. Golden opportunity.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Fully deserves it.

Would have been OK with Staal also, esp. given his seniority of added service, taking his lumps for our cause.

But can't imagine anyone saying Ryan isn't the guy.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
I think Nash is absolutely one of those guys who'd prefer not to worry about leading and basically stay out of any limelight.

He's a more reserved guy who's interested in his play and the team winning. There are just people in life who do better with less pressure (especially when it comes to dealing with other people) and I think Nash is one of those people.

I'm happy with this. The alternates are perfect selections.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hopefully he is ready for it. And this is not a repeat when Leetch was made Captain, and not Graves. I would have gone with Staal or even Girardi, but we shall see.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Hopefully he is ready for it. And this is not a repeat when Leetch was made Captain, and not Graves. I would have gone with Staal or even Girardi, but we shall see.

McDonagh and Leetch aren't remotely comparable in play or in personality, nor does he have to follow in both Messier and Gretzky's footsteps as captain, so a swing and a miss

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

Judging by how the coaches and his teammates talk about him as well as how he conducts himself on and off the ice, I am confident he is ready for this.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Congrats to RM.

I think Nash will benefit from having a full year of Kreider and MSL. He has two more goal scorers to take some of the load off. I don't necessarily count Gaborik as a luxury for Nash when he was here because Torts misused gaborik switching him to LW when he clearly was not comfortable with it and had not played LW in his career and Nash had in CBJ. Therefore Kreider taking the next step (teams starting to hate him) and MSL's presence will be huge for Nash. Calling it now.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I think Nash will benefit from having a full year of Kreider and MSL. He has two more goal scorers to take some of the load off. I don't necessarily count Gaborik as a luxury for Nash when he was here because Torts misused gaborik switching him to LW when he clearly was not comfortable with it and had not played LW in his career and Nash had in CBJ. Therefore Kreider taking the next step (teams starting to hate him) and MSL's presence will be huge for Nash. Calling it now.

and he looks to be in fantastic shape as well, and he's fully healthy

noupf

Jan 31, 2007

i kind of feel the same way. I wasnt thrilled with leech as captain, nor jagr. Bother we great players, but both were soft spoken, secondary leadership type guys.

I dont know alot about Mac's personality. i do think he may be a bit more of a leader than leetch and jagr were, but i'm not sure he's the vocal, respect demanding type that a captain needs to be. I hope I am proved wrong. I'd say at the moment, its an "ok" choice based on what i know of him.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
i kind of feel the same way. I wasnt thrilled with leech as captain, nor jagr. Bother we great players, but both were soft spoken, secondary leadership type guys.

I dont know alot about Mac's personality. i do think he may be a bit more of a leader than leetch and jagr were, but i'm not sure he's the vocal, respect demanding type that a captain needs to be. I hope I am proved wrong. I'd say at the moment, its an "ok" choice based on what i know of him.

guess Sakic and Yzerman were terrible captains :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad